Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Roast dinners are massively overrated and are a lot of faff for a meal that, compared to most other meals, is relatively tasteless.

It very much depends on the execution. A roast done well is amazing. Honey glazed parsnips, marmite roast potatoes, seasoned veg. Perfect 

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Roast dinners are massively overrated and are a lot of faff for a meal that, compared to most other meals, is relatively tasteless.

I see where you're coming from, but as Hannibal Scorch said its down to the execution of it. A good quality joint of meat and effort put into it everything is what raises it from being average to amazing. I do agree with it being a lot of faff though.

• Paid Members
On 8/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, ReturnOfTheMack said:

At uni I shared a house with a guy who was obsessed with his soda stream. He would fizz up virtually any liquid (I say virtually for my own sanity) just to see. 

He said vodka was great, milk made him throw up and already carbonated drinks were a massive error of judgement.

When I was around 11-12, I had a friend called Ben whose parents were a bit more lenient/absent than mine. He had a Soda Stream.

I can verify that fizzy milk is utterly revolting, and that if you put a mix of Pepsi and Tango in a Soda Stream, you end up with barely a mouthful in the bottom of the bottle, and a sticky mess all over the kitchen (ceiling included).

On 8/25/2018 at 11:17 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

I fucking hate Sherlock Holmes. Every incarnation, without exception. He's the biggest, smuggest, most unlikeable twat in fiction. Crime is my favourite genre of things but I can't stomach him one iota.

Even young Sherlock, with his antics in the pyramid of fear?

We were robbed, robbed of that sequel that they hinted at.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Can't agree with you there, man. My mum's slow-roasted leg of lamb is one of the finest, most flavoursome dishes I've ever tasted, and that's taking into account all the various spiced dishes my family eat.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Rocky Horror is absolute shite and the fans of it are the worst people.

Really weird you bring this up as I caught this yesterday for the first time. My missus is a big fan and whacked it on whilst I was busying about on the laptop. Christ, what a load of shite. There's one point in the film where they spend about 44 minutes and 4 songs in the same room. It's a badly made movie and a badly made musical. My only joy came from the scene where Tim Curry separately seduced that couple, I thought it was really well done. Other than that, it was awful tosh that could've/should've been made by a better director. Is the actual stage musical that boring?

• Awards Moderator
17 hours ago, PunkStep said:

tumblr_mcz1sbpjU61rv9kqao1_400.gif

Bollocks of the highest order Punk. Just yesterday I made an ate one for the first time in months and it's a glorious feast.

The effort is only needed in the potatoes. Nail that and everything else can be mediocre. Even stringy meat can be saved with crispy, fluffy spuds.

In fact, the only way it can be a roast dinner is if there are roast potatoes. Replace the meat with sandwich turkey (as school canteens do) and it's still a roast, because it has roast potatoes. Make the potatoes + boil some veg + buy a rotisserie chicken + add gravy = relatively effortless roast.

Eee, I'm proper het up now.

• Paid Members

You've just proved my point! Take away roast potatoes (which are easily my favourite part of a roast dinner, with stuffing a close second) and it is absolutely mediocre. Hence my point that they are overrated.

The veg that accompanies a roast is usually tasteless, bland boiled shite like carrots and cabbage. Parsnips, turnips, brussel sprouts and other veg that you only associate with roasts are so shit that hardly anyone eats them outside of a roast. Roasted meat is ok at best.

It's all a disappointment and massive waste of time. Sure, there will be people that say 'yes but if you glaze this in honey, and if you sprinkle this etc' to make it nicer, and I don't doubt that a fancy roast dinner tastes a lot nicer. But that's the thing- it's so bland that you have to do this and that to try and justify the hours spent preparing and cooking this poxy meal.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

It's all a disappointment and massive waste of time. Sure, there will be people that say 'yes but if you glaze this in honey, and if you sprinkle this etc' to make it nicer, and I don't doubt that a fancy roast dinner tastes a lot nicer. But that's the thing- it's so bland that you have to do this and that to try and justify the hours spent preparing and cooking this poxy meal. 

What you've just described is cooking. There's not much besides fruit that you eat without some kind of preparation.

• Paid Members

Sure, but I mean when you have people talking about doing something extra to actually give a roast dinner flavour. Like 'a roast is great when you glaze the carrots with honey'. Sure, but 90% of roast dinners where you just boil them until they turn white and resemble baby food, they taste of nothing.

Obviously I'm not going to post in the roast dinner thread, but @FelatioLips sums them up perfectly:

My Mum makes a cracking Sunday Dinner, but I couldn't eat it more than once a week because even the best tasting dinners are a bland collection of foods covered in gravy. I find them incredibly boring and a faff to make.

Edited by PunkStep

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Sure, but 90% of roast dinners where you just boil them until they turn white and resemble baby food, they taste of nothing. 

I think what you're saying is that you've had an inordinately high number of badly made roast dinners. I do get it. Growing up I didn't really like them because the only ones I had were at school and they were awful. But that doesn't make the concept bad.

Edited by Chest Rockwell