Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

31 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

This could be the most unpopular, unpopular opinion in this thread. Even if you were not a fan, he was never shit. One of the best musicians. producers and song writers of all time

I won't argue about his musicianship, I can't say I've ever paid attention to it because the music is so uninspiring. As a producer, meh. Writer, meh. I said his music is overrated and shit. Maybe shit is a little strong but I find his whole musical schtick insipid and boring generally. 

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, hallicks said:

I won't argue about his musicianship, I can't say I've ever paid attention to it because the music is so uninspiring. As a producer, meh. Writer, meh. I said his music is overrated and shit. Maybe shit is a little strong but I find his whole musical schtick insipid and boring generally. 

So if you have never paid attention to it, how can you make these assumptions? Nothing Compares 2 U, I would Die 4 U, Sexy MF, Gold, all different all great. Amazing live performer, and you should check out the Grammy Tribute they did for George Harrison or his Superbowl half time show. An absolute masterclass

Just now, FelatioLips said:

Purple Rain is utter crap. 

The song? No

The Album? No

The Film? Fuck yes.

I'm a massive fan of Prince, I'd say he had the best run of albums by an artist there has ever been (1999 to Lovesexy), but if someone doesn't like him then they don't like him, fair enough.  It doesn't affect my love and enjoyment of his music.

But to just dismiss his ability and artistry because you don't like the few songs you've heard is a bit silly (Not you, TripleA)

• Paid Members

Spitting. Picking Noses. Farting

Not as fussed as some are.

Don’t get me wrong, in don’t love it and I avoid doing it (spitting). However, if I’ve got a cold or soar throat and I’m out and about, i’ll spit if needs be (as discrete as possible, in to a Bush, drain, alley etc). Or playing footy etc, sometimes you simply have clear the crap out. 

Just like picking your nose or farting, not pleasant, but it really doesn’t bother me the way some people seem to feel about it. You’ve got to get that shit out, and sometimes you’re caught short (no tissues etc).

In regards to spitting, I’m not on about the daftys who spit through their teeth as if it’s an addiction/OCD, while stood with their crew and staffys down the bus stop.

2 hours ago, hallicks said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5365013

If Miles Davis is a fan of your music you have to be doing something right

His shit was the most exciting music I was hearing in 1982,” Davis wrote in his brilliant 1990 autobiography. “Here was someone who was doing something different, so I decided to keep an eye on him.”

He’s got that church thing up in what he does,” Davis continued in his autobiography. “He plays guitar and piano and plays them very well. But it’s the church thing that I hear in his music that makes him special, and that organ thing. It’s a black thing and not a white thing. Prince is like the church to gay guys. He’s the music of the people who go out after ten or eleven at night. He comes in on the beat and plays on top of the beat. I think when Prince makes love he hears drums instead of Ravel. So he’s not a white guy. His music is new, is rooted, reflects and comes out of 1988 and ‘89 and ‘90. For me, he can be the new Duke Ellington of our time if he just keeps at it.”

Everyones music taste is different so if you're not a fan, that's OK. But that Prince isn't a good producer - he wrote, produced & arranged his first album all on his own like an established veteran. Plus he's produced Larry Graham, George Clinton, Mavis Staples, Chaka Khan among others.

As a songwriter Sinead O'Connor, The Bangles, Chaka Khan to name but a few have had hit songs from songs Prince has written. Plus he essentially created his own competition with The Time, Vanity 6, Mazarati, Apollonia 6, Andre Cymone. Not only that but influenced many artists

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/from-madonna-to-muse-the-bangles-to-beyonc--no-modern-pop-act-es/

http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/30866/1/how-prince-influenced-a-generation-of-musicians

He has who knows how many songs recorded in the vault (estimated to be in the hundreds), played a multitude of instruments, was a fantastic performer (one good example is the Sign O The Times concert) and if anything all things considered what Prince means to the music industry is actually probably underrated. Thanks to him & MJ they got black artists music videos played on the predominantly white MTV of the time too. 

So Princes place in musical history shouldn't be downplayed & understated when you take everything into account. You don't have to like someone's music to respect their contributions to their craft and in my opinion Prince was and still is one of the greatest artists of all time.