Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

My parents never really bought any type of 'gadgets', so I was pretty chuffed when I came home from school once to find Mam had bought a soda stream. 

I was looking forward to getting 'Busy with the fizzy' but alas, it was utter shite. The flavourings that we tried paled in comparison to any of their cheap, shop bought counterparts and eventually the Soda Stream ended up collecting dust in the shed. 

I do fondly remember the sound it made when you added the gas though. Like Thomas the Tank. It was it's only redeeming feature. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Going waaaay off track now, but did anyone ever play Chakkan and was it any good? It looked great in magazines but I never played it.

I had Chakan on GameGear, and later on MegaDrive (back in 2001, when the console cost a tenner and the cartridge was a couple of quid). MegaDrive version wasn't good, but the GG played well. Not the best game in the world, but was fun.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Soda stream was better than proper pop.

I bought one about a year ago to reduce my carbon footprint buying bottles of Fizzy Water (which is better then still water, i think we all agree). I don't buy their flavours but I do make sparking water and also fizzy squash. Well worth the £40 it cost and the gas refills are only about £10 if you take back your old one and last a fair while

• Paid Members

I loved the MegaDrive. Cool Spot, Taz-Mania, Ecco The Dolphin, Moonwalker, Mega-Lo-Mania (yes, I know the Amiga version was better), Eternal Champions (which has THE best storyline of any fighting tournament game ever, bar none), Road Rash, Altered Beast, those were some great games. The SNES famously had higher spec, and, of course, had Street Fighter II as its launch title, but I was always a Sega guy.

• Awards Moderator
8 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The SNES famously had higher spec, and, of course, had Street Fighter II as its launch title

Not quite. About a 6 month window in Europe. I pooled with friends to import it though as it released in June 1992 in Japan and December in Europe. The launch titles were F-Zero, Mario and Tennis.

5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

We either didn't get Chrono Trigger, or Chrono Cross. I'm leaning towards Chrono Cross not being released here.

Chrono Trigger definitely didn't get a UK release, just a Japanese & North American release. There's a PAL cart up on eBay but that's very likely to be a bootleg since the game would be either NTSC (US) or NTSC-J (Japan). 

• Paid Members

I believe Mr Shoe is correct. There was no PAL release of Chrono Trigger. I have the NTSC version. I used to sell computer games of all sorts before downloading was a thing. I was asked on a pretty regular basis "What does PAL stand for?" I don't actually know but the answer I always gave was "Not as good as NTSC" because they weren't. 

The Snes was always best for adventures and platform games. Mario pisses all over Sonic from a great height and anyone who thinks any different needs to have a long talk to themselves. There were great RPG's for the Snes. There was a Lord Of The Rings game for the Snes that was pretty decent and you could get some of the earlier Final Fantasy games as well. I think I've got 5 and 6 tucked away somewhere. 

• Paid Members

Thanks for that info. 

I briefly worked for Squaresoft Europe in 2000, and one of the perks was you got a free PS1 game - like an idiot, I chose Ehrgeiz, whilst my colleagues went and got Chrono Cross and Xenogears.

We all got free copies of FFIX, Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve 2 for having worked on them, so I didn't miss out too badly.

• Paid Members

The Mario and Donkey Kong Country games by themselves made SNES a better console. The launch titles and early releases like Contra III were incredibly strong even for launch titles. It's still easily my most played on console.

Because I'm very old, I was working for HMV when they first delved into the games market, must have been 92.  Because they knew I played video games, it became my department.  Our shop was small but over 3 floors so the top floor became my domain.  All I did was play games all day.  And yes, the SNES was better.