Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

December is a brilliant month - hole in the wallet at the end of it and some stress getting all the gifts together aside, it’s the time of year where everyone gets together and it’s generally nice and jovial. My view on this is in no way blinkered by it being the month of my birth or with the Muppets Christmas Carol being my favourite film of all time. 

Absolutely this. Besides the stress of getting gifts (which should be minimal this year as we have the excuse of saving up for next year's wedding) and the threat of snow, it's the best time of year. Cosy nights in, excuses to pig out on junk food, Christmas vinyl cracking in the evening, bloody love all of it. I'm creating a playlist this year of all the best Christmas specials from TV shows and that'll be playing on the telly non-stop through Christmas Day.

• Awards Moderator
54 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

And I’m sorry but seeing Christmas stock going out in some places as early as SEPTEMBER should be a criminal offence.

I agree, however: every major retailer puts stock out based on it's value. e.g. that stock is taking up 2m sq. and it returns £10 per sq m. Every square metre has to earn it's place on the shop floor, else it's a waste. I think September is too early, but they wouldn't put it out if it didn't make them money. So blame the weirdos buying stuff in September.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I agree, however: every major retailer puts stock out based on it's value. e.g. that stock is taking up 2m sq. and it returns £10 per sq m. Every square metre has to earn it's place on the shop floor, else it's a waste. I think September is too early, but they wouldn't put it out if it didn't make them money. So blame the weirdos buying stuff in September.

I understand the reasons behind it and as ever you’ve put your point  across very well. But you see Onyx I am right and they are wrong (morally) so there. The customers should also be locked up along with the retailers in breach of it being a criminal offence. 

Christmas for Christmas! Not for the autumn! 

• Paid Members

Christmas stuff being on sale prior to December is fine - you have to buy it at some point, and I'd rather get it all done before the shops go mental for actual Christmas shopping. But Christmas window displays and Christmas songs playing in October/November? Nah, fuck off. 

I mostly agree on Marvel films. I grew up a comic books nerd, still pick up the odd comic or graphic novel, but lately they do nothing for me. I haven't seen Black Panther, GOTG2, Infinity War, Ant-Man, Dr Strange, Thor: Ragnarok, Deadpool, probably a few others I'm forgetting. And Dr Strange was my favourite non-X-Men Marvel character, so to not give a toss about his movie speaks volumes.

I think it's a combination of them being over-hyped, of them all basically culminating in an interchangeable peril-free CGI fight over a magic space macguffin, and the sheer number of them being exhausting, with a side helping of the Alan Moore attitude that the most popular media amongst adults in the 21st Century shouldn't be built around characters invented to sell comic books to children in the '50s and '60s. 

I watched Civil War and I remember literally nothing about it. And, while not Marvel, I watched Batman vs. Superman and honestly think it's the worst film I've ever seen.

As with a lot of popular media, and me being a contrary curmudgeon, a lot of it comes down to wider audience reaction. A bunch of grown adults posting memes about comic book movies and Harry Potter, or acting as if superhero movies are some high art is going to put me off even the better films in the franchise. 

It's like people kicking off about Ben Affleck couldn't possibly be good enough to play Batman, as if it's a role that consists of anything other than scowling and punching, and having a six year old boy's idea of character development (he's a super detective with a rocket car who knows kung-fu and is best friends with Super-Man and is a billionaire but also his parents are dead so he's sad). It's hardly fucking King Lear, is it?

In fact, fuck Batman in general. 

Aside from Lego Batman, which is the best portrayal of the character ever. Including Adam West.

50 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Tesco already have the big tins of chocolate out on display. They are reasonably priced for now but will no doubt go up in price once those Xmas songs start playing in October/November.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Is she the nutter from Gordon Ramsey's show? The Bakery he just left to die because she did his head in.

Yeah. I fucking love Kitchen Nightmares, I must've seen every episode 5 times. Did you see the one with that Australian nutter who made shit giant burgers and stole his clown haired son's money? It was amazing.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Yeah. I fucking love Kitchen Nightmares, I must've seen every episode 5 times. Did you see the one with that Australian nutter who made shit giant burgers and stole his clown haired son's money? It was amazing.

Get a thread started man! There's been some right dickheads on non-Big Brother reality TV

• Awards Moderator
30 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

OR for current stuff, where I posted in the other day (hoping to see if anyone has been watching The Circle):

That's the one I was searching for and couldn't find it for looking!