Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

What do yous reckon would have happened if the WWF had properly gotten behind RVD as their new top babyface when he was getting monster reactions in 2001? Maybe by having him become the first Undisputed Champion rather than Jericho, and running with him from there?

Rock and Austin were both close to being done, and Austin wasn't even a babyface at the time. RVD fell into their lap as a guy the crowd loved so much they had to have him as a face in the otherwise heel Alliance, but after the No Mercy triple threat it was clear they weren't serious about him as a top guy and his reactions cooled from there.

A heel Austin putting over a face RVD to make the latter a made man at Mania X8 would have been a much more natural conclusion to the previous year's storylines than the rushed, nigh-on-inexplicable Austin face turn that we got instead.

While I agree that RVD was getting big reactions in that September/October period, would putting the belt on him instead of Jericho have done anything to stop the return of HHH though. Not to sound like one of dem, but I don’t think it would’ve made one iota of difference whether the belt was on Jericho, RVD or anyone else, HHH was winning the belt at Wrestlemania

• Paid Members

You also have to bear in mind that the WWF back in 2001 had an embarrassment of riches, talent-wise - not just in terms of who was currently on their roster, but the free agents they also had access to later. When you have Austin, The Rock, Triple H, The Undertaker, Kane, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Booker T, Big Show, and DDP, you have Hogan, Hall, Nash coming in later, then maybe even later Steiner and Goldberg, plus you have up-and-comers like Cena, Orton, Batista, and Lesnar, and people you think are going to be main-event but are later proven wrong about like Test, O'Haire, or Jindrak, it probably becomes difficult to see where someone like RVD fits in other than in the tag or midcard wowing the crowd with the fancy stuff with the Hardys and Rey Mysterio.

EDIT: Also, given his open and prolific weed habit, they probably thought there were plenty other, more reliable people they could stick in the main without any potential repercussions.

Edited by Carbomb

For me at the time RVD was still a notch beneath even Angle and Jericho crowd responses aside, this was the view of a 14 year old boy. He was also very much an unproven commodity for the WWF at the time and I doubt even if they had decided to do the switch it would have been anything positive. 

Jericho filled a heel role against Triple H, the two had had a barnstormer a couple of years earlier so on paper a Mania match would have been a great idea. Sadly it was the weakest of all their matches in my opinion. Although it's been years since I watched that one.

Although not the initial plan, Hogan took the belt of Triple H in short order, an RVD/Hogan match fits even less and is definitely not something I would want to see. 

Then you needed the title on Rock in short order to put over Brock at Summerslam which still required a hot potato situation from Hogan to Taker to Rock but essentially made Lesnar as a maineventer.

Instead I reckon the timing was better in 2002 when it was rumored he was unifying the titles on Raw to end up taking the new World Title. A tournament final of some sorts Vs Triple H at Unforgiven/ No Mercy would have been far better, keeping the belt into 2003, winning the Elimination chamber while Shawn and Triple H slug it out in non title matches elsewhere on the card. 

In 2001, they still had the mess of the invasion to work through. There wasn’t an opportunity to properly establish a new top babyface in that environment. Plus RVD couldn’t cut promos and was pissing everyone off by kicking their heads in, so even if the company had decided on running with him, it would’ve been really short lived before they went back to a proven commodity.

At best, he’d have ended up a transitional top babyface holding the fort until HHH came back

• Paid Members

One for the "things that make you feel old" pile. Was thinking about the original One Night Stand earlier. That show was 4 years after ECW closed - which felt like a lifetime. This year, it's 15 years ago. Feels like 5 minutes.

• Paid Members

That's exactly it - everything she does feels like it's what she thinks a heel wrestler would do, rather than anything that comes naturally to her. Everything feels forced and mechanical, and then she peppers it with spots far too ambitious for her ability. When you see her booked on the same card as Jamie Hayter, who does basically everything Bea does but with confidence, you realise quite how bad she is.

• Paid Members

Shawn Michaels was retired 4 years from Mania 14 until SummerSlam 2002. And ECW died in in 2001 and One Night Stand was in 2005. Those 4 years seemed to last forever. Like when ECW did the one off, it seemed as if they were running regularly in a completely different era. And Shawn showing up in 2002 was like he'd been away for about a decade.

Shinsuke Nakamura and AJ Styles turned up 4 years ago. The Broken Matt stuff started in 2016 as well. In that 4 years Shawn was injured, you could have fit AJ Styles WWE career in it.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay