Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 9:18 AM, BomberPat said:

Watching mid-90s WCW stuff on the Network, my love for Col Robert Parker has been an absolute revelation. He's probably in my top ten characters of all time now.

As a manager he just sort of does everything wrong, but so perfectly wrong. He towers over half the people he manages, which is meant to be a big no-no, but is so damn good at making himself look ineffectual that it doesn't matter. While almost any other manager would be reacting to their client being on the receiving end of a beating by barking instructions, or doing a Paul Heyman shocked face, he's pulling out a handkerchief and fanning himself, mopping his brow, and trying to walk it off. It's absolutely masterful.

I had the same feeling rewatching 98 Raws earlier this year. Tennessee Lee was one of my favourite parts of the show. Especially when he's either furious that something has gone wrong and he does his "God dang it" floor stompin' and fist wavin', or when he's confronted by a tough guy, and he backpedals wildly and he's backing up like a coward, just fantastic.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
On 2/3/2020 at 2:40 AM, poetofthedeed said:

Joey janela booked minoru suzuki vs orange cassidy for spring break and I can't remember the last time I was this interested in a match..... 

I've watched some Orange Cassidy on YouTube. The way his matches go are certainly a lot better than the 2 minutes he gets on Dynamite. It's going to be interesting to see how MiSu reacts to the early match shenanigans, but should be a pretty hectic finish. 

• Paid Members

Robert Fuller did a fantastic interview with Hannibal TV fairly recently. And his telling of the Nasty Boys vs Ken Shamrock fight story is the best version I’ve heard by far.

Whether he’s embellished it or not I don’t know. Or care. He’s such a great storyteller. And I love that he’s got a big, massive...bottle of Crown Royal behind him! 

• Paid Members

I've been watching those excellent WWF monthly compilations and I'm up to August 1988. Two big revelations in this one. In the week before Summerslam, Brutus Beefcake is assaulted by Ron Bass in that very gruesome for WWF spur attack. That's the only bit of the angle I've ever seen, but earlier in the show Beefer turns up at the end of Ron Bass' match and cuts his whip, Betsy, into pieces and stamps the fuck out of his hat! What a prick, he got less payback that he deserved. 

The other big thing I'd never seen before, on the same show Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage cut a promo before the tag match with Andre and DiBiase, where the spell out *exactly* what will happen in the match. When the odds seem stacked against them, they'll get Liz to whip her skirt off to reveal an "itsy bitsy string bikini" (well not quite exactly) because they she did it on the beach once when they were lifting and then no one cared what they were benching. 

As someone who has only really seen the PPVs until around 1995, this is a treasure trove.

• Paid Members
On 2/8/2020 at 10:10 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Robert Fuller did a fantastic interview with Hannibal TV fairly recently. And his telling of the Nasty Boys vs Ken Shamrock fight story is the best version I’ve heard by far.

Whether he’s embellished it or not I don’t know. Or care. He’s such a great storyteller. And I love that he’s got a big, massive...bottle of Crown Royal behind him! 

Yeah he’s great at storytelling. I’m surprised he hasn’t been more involved as a full time manager over recent years. He’d work a treat in NWA.

Also, Shamrock was booked at For The Love Of Wrestling this April, but he cancelled last week. The Nasty Boys have also just been announced. Hmmm.

• Paid Members
On 2/8/2020 at 10:43 AM, gmoney said:

As someone who has only really seen the PPVs until around 1995, this is a treasure trove.

I'm the same. We didn't get SKY until the late 90s so my viewing was just PPVs I could get hold of until 97 and then I'd see most Raws because I had a mate who taped them. I've gone back over the years and watched most episodes of Raw from 93-97 plus SNME and episodes of Superstars and Prime Time I could get hold of. I feel like I've seen all the big angles from these eras, most probably on actual PPVs when they'd build up the matches. That's certainly where I saw the aforementioned Ron Bass angle, for instance. However, these fill in a lot of blanks and reveal a ton of smaller angles that I'd never seen. I'm currently about to finish 1992, a year in which I'd not seen a lot of weekly TV prior to this and it's been great for revealing a lot of the filler in feuds. Highly recommended while they exist on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHO8RIhwvgKcK6GBV__cUsQ

Big one for me in late 1992 was Sgt Slaughter's run as some sort of enforcer of the rules - a prototype of his 1997 Commissioner run.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17460654.2013.816976

Reading this piece turn on the earliest known wrestling footage and found a fun trivia piece. The clip at the start of the old WWE TV opening (with the voiceover about tonight ladies and gentlemen we have a great main event) was known to be of Ernest Roeber-August Faust from 1901.

However, it turns out it's not from the "real" match. Instead they got the two guys to recreate it later on for recording, with a fake crowd and a ring on the roof of the company that distributed the film. (Shades of 1995 RAW.)

(12) Every WWE signature intro ever_ WWE Playlist  (1).png

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I'm the same. We didn't get SKY until the late 90s so my viewing was just PPVs I could get hold of until 97 and then I'd see most Raws because I had a mate who taped them. I've gone back over the years and watched most episodes of Raw from 93-97 plus SNME and episodes of Superstars and Prime Time I could get hold of. I feel like I've seen all the big angles from these eras, most probably on actual PPVs when they'd build up the matches. That's certainly where I saw the aforementioned Ron Bass angle, for instance. However, these fill in a lot of blanks and reveal a ton of smaller angles that I'd never seen. I'm currently about to finish 1992, a year in which I'd not seen a lot of weekly TV prior to this and it's been great for revealing a lot of the filler in feuds. Highly recommended while they exist on YouTube.

Big one for me in late 1992 was Sgt Slaughter's run as some sort of enforcer of the rules - a prototype of his 1997 Commissioner run.

The other day I saw that Harley Race came back as a face after he'd lost the King title, with the implication that he was going to feud with Haku. He beats a jobber and as far as I'm aware, that was it. I had no idea about that. 

EDIT that's bollocks actually, he fought Haku at the Royal Rumble, which I did know about. Having a Carbomb moment there. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

However, these fill in a lot of blanks and reveal a ton of smaller angles that I'd never seen. I'm currently about to finish 1992, a year in which I'd not seen a lot of weekly TV prior to this and it's been great for revealing a lot of the filler in feuds. Highly recommended while they exist on YouTube.

I’ve been subscribed to him for a few months now, truly great channel and as you say, I also advise watching what’s there before it gets pulled. I credit this channel with being one of the main reasons I’ve still got an interest in wrestling if I’m honest. 

Thoroughly enjoyed both of this years Rumbles. Felt both were put together really well. I like Drew, but thinking about it since...as they seem to have actually used the match this year to properly elevate someone, I wish that person had been Big E. Mentioned many times before that I think they should strap a rocket to the fella and looking back on it feel the Rumble would have made for the perfect moment to do so. Pretty much just taking Drew’s spot. I’d give Kofi a bit of stronger hope spot on his own and/or with Rey. But have them be eliminated and E arrives and gets the redemption on Kofis behalf, gets serious, has the stare down and goes all the way. Feels like could have been an ideal opportunity to provide some sort of follow up on the Kofi story without having felt it was all for nothing and creating a logical new top guy in the process.