PowerButchi

Random Thoughts III.

("They" being the film crew in 1901, not WWE in the 21st century.)

Edited by JNLister

Watching the post-WM 12 episode of Raw and it just dawned on me how mad it is that Shawn Michaels' initial run on top (i.e from Wrestlemania 12 to 14) only lasted two years. 

Mind you, Vince's shit eating grin and practically wanking over HBK throughout this particular episode is nauseating as hell.

19 hours ago, JNLister said:

("They" being the film crew in 1901, not WWE in the 21st century.)

Am I right in thinking this kind of thing would've been commonplace back then?

Yep, in a lot of cases it was so they could get better lighting conditions. Plus presumably you wouldn't have to worry about having to balance the risks of running out of film or missing the more exciting moments.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, IronSheik said:

Did anyone here send away for the Hogan, Taker or Bret postal-order-only Hasbros?

I owned the Bret & Hogan, but sold them last year. 

Regarding that old clip, I always found it strange that no one in the audience was wearing a hat, as they seemed very much part of dress wear and common place back then. Especially judging by photos from sporting events from 100+ years ago in historian books etc. 

Would have never have guessed it was not legitimate though. 

Don't remember seeing heel/heel matches as a kid but watching those great WWF monthly vids on YouTube, there was a Shango/Repo match in December 92, then HBK/Skinner in January 93.

9 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Don't remember seeing heel/heel matches as a kid but watching those great WWF monthly vids on YouTube, there was a Shango/Repo match in December 92, then HBK/Skinner in January 93.

Wasn't the latter during HBK's IC run where he nearly always got counted out to keep the belt? I'm sure there was a vid with him against Kamala too which ended that way, not sure if Kamala was heel at that point though.

14 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Does anyone remember Gary Spivey in WCW 1995? Watching Fall Brawl and his fuckin wig looks shit. 

I mainly remember him as the first WrestleCrap entry I ever read. 

On 2/14/2020 at 4:32 PM, Kaz Hayashi said:

I owned the Bret & Hogan, but sold them last year. 

Was the Bret any different to the previous 3 standard releases?

There’s 3 different shades of the pink heart on the chest. All of the mailaway Brets have the same shade of the heart. Although some of the standard line had that shade also. Other than that, exactly the same, and would never buy it unless fully sealed in the mailaway plastic bag. No way of guaranteeing it’s a mailaway if loose out of bag. Same with undertaker. He has a cloak and has a particular shade of hair, much like the series 8 figure. 
So would only buy him if still in the bag. The only real different mailaway is Hogan in his red vest and tights. 

An odd gym story from Reddit...

Who is the British talent he's referring to? The poster says Western Canada so likely someone going through Stampede, but who matches that description?

Lord Alfred Hayes is a possibility.

I don't know anything about an accounting background but he was all over America before going to WWE in the 80's.

I've started watching wrestling again for the first time in years. Started catching up with Raw, AEW and NXT. Gotta say I've fallen for it with the same level of enjoyment that I had a decade or so ago.

I don't know if it's due to not watching in years; whether I'm feeling in a better place personally; whether the product as a whole is just that much better, or a combination, but I never thought I'd be watching again and enjoying it so much.

Maybe it was more burn out than anything before. It was around Lucha Underground S2 that I think I last watched regularly. The last full show I watched would've been Wrestlemania 30, which I found to be a fitting end to my time watching as fan. But we all know retirements in this game don't last.

The quality of wrestling has been great for years, no doubt. But whenever I'd dipped my toes back in, that was all there was. Seemingly endless great matches with no substance. I used to say it was like watching Real Madrid vs Barca, but them playing each other in friendlies every weekend.

The production values are as good, if not better than ever. There seems to be excitement in the arenas again. The wrestlers themselves seem to have a passion that had been removed for years before. Chris Jericho is great, and I've never been a fan.

Storylines have more, erm, stories to them, and the characters playing them have more depth than the 2D personas that used to take up 90% of an episode. 

More than anything I've come in here to suggest that if you were the same and haven't watched in years, now might be a good time to give it another chance. The one hour Raw and SD on C5 is also what's long being needed. For the first time in forever, I'm looking forward to a Wrestlemania and the summer ahead.

Edited by Undefeated Steak
Edit