Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

The Rock only had 4 full years in the WWF, 97, 98, 99, 2000. Came in late in 96 and went after WM17. Was back for short and medium spells after that but was never full time again. More memorable moments and matches in those 4 years than most 30 year careers.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

What is it that keeps today's guys around so long? Different contracts? Lower pay? Ego?

Until quite recently, I'd say a lack of other viable, secure jobs. With the rise of AEW, NJPW etc there might be more guys willing to try their luck elsewhere rather than comfortably staying with the status quo (not the band) in WWE.

Softer rings, better conditioning, less steroids, less recreational drugs. Plus WWE haven't had serious competition for most of the last 20 years, apart from TNA for a bit until they Russo'd themsleves off a major channel. So apart from Japan, there wasn't really anywhere for them to go. 

• Paid Members

Agree with the above really. 

One of the unforseen consequences of no competition was probably a lack of much needed roster recycling.

(Which is quite ironic as I spent most of the 90's wishing it was still 1992 - my wrestling utopia -and desperately wanting to see Hogan, Warrior, Savage, Bulldog etc back in the WWF and the band back together.)

Thinking back to the 80's and 90's, most stars seemed to have a run in both major companies and prior to that several different teritorries.

Compare that to the likes of Randy Orton who seems to have been meandering around the upper mid card for 10-12 years, to an outsider, doing not a lot.

I'm a massive nostalgia nonce but some of my fondest ever runs seemed to last no time at all in comparison. Diesel's late 95/96 heel run lasted for 6 months if that, Flair was in the WWF for less than 18 months, Jake's heel for 6 months.

Its no wonder how individual years throughout the 90's looked so different to the one prior. Constantly changing rosters (i.e top stars leaving and a necessity to replace them) but also the overall presentation.

Compare an 1980 episode of All Star Wrestling to Superstars in 1990, comparing that to Raw in 2000. Light years apart.

I'm not convinced that an episode of Raw in 2010 and 2020 look and feel all that different tbh.

Edited by garynysmon

Have dipped out of WWE for a while, but as is the case every year, I'm excited to watch the Rumble on Sunday (or more likely, Monday evening). I've just seen an advert for it on BT Sport however, and can see that the title match is Daniel Bryan vs Bray Wyatt, a match they did at the Royal Rumble six (!) years ago...

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz
Thought 2014 was five years ago