Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I'd be more inclined to watch 3 one hour shows in a week than 1 three hour show because it plays into my short attention span. 

It would have to be pre recorded due to costs, which seems to be seen as a bad thing these days for whatever reason. 

• Paid Members

WWF had the perfect balance of one hour of Heat on the Sunday and 2 hours of Raw on the Monday. I cant think of a more perfect pairing than that. Heat did some angles and left you wanting more for the main show the night after. That seemed to work perfectly. A two hour show and a one hour show to me is all you need.

• Paid Members

A two hour Raw and a second one hour show is also my ideal. Two shows at two hours each could work if they were completely different. But honestly, does anyone see it being received differently if it was? The way they present TV, the fucking inane commentary, the inability to create and develop characters, etc, etc would all pail so much in comparison to the TV we all adored at one point. There's no way it wouldn't still be painful. 

I don't think the number of hours would be a problem if there was any variety to the format. I wonder how relevant or necessary it is to have live broadcasts. Is it mandated by the networks, and if so, why? In the Attitude Era, it kind of made sense in building that vibe of anything-can-happen inmates-running-the-asylum edginess they were going for. With everything so tightly produced now, that's gone in favour of a steady stale polish that might work for producers but makes the product feel much less essential. Then again, I'll have been watching wrestling for 20+ years by this point, so maybe I might just be more savvy to the show language than the younger audience is, so what's still novel to them is routine for me.

I do think a magazine-style show with greater focus on interviews, pre-produced vignettes, and a mix of quick dark matches and house show highlights would be a breath of fresh air. I also think this would be a good idea in terms of hyping the following live show without burning people out on in-ring action. Showing lower-produced clips of action and angles from house shows might also improve live gates, but I don't know enough about that market to know for sure.

• Paid Members

USA Network want live content and they've driven the move to three hours historically too. Same as when Nitro went to three hours because TNT were desperate for another hour of guaranteed numbers.

As disappointing as WWE's numbers are compared to years ago, they're still good for cable and with the key demographic. That's evidenced by the amount they were willing to pay in the recent negotiations. Apart from live sport, what else is drawing those numbers for that investment. If there was an obvious answer, you'd imagine they'd drop WWE like a wet rag.

I was driving on the motorway earlier and spotted a car that had a license plate ending in 'MMA'. Got me to thinking that there must be hundreds of cars out there that have wrestling related license plates without the owners even knowing. WWE, WWF, WCW, NWA, JCP, TNA. Even newer ones like MJF, AEW or BTE. 

• Paid Members

Right now, the first two letters correspond to the area the car was first registered and CW is for South Wales.

Pre-2001, it was the last two letters and CW was Preston. So while I was at university there, pretty much every day you'd see one ending ECW or WCW.

• Paid Members

I've been licence plate wrestling promotion spotting for most of my wrestling-fan life. There's actually a CZW and CCK who park near my office building.

Another twist that me and my brother did on long car journeys was trying to make promotions out of random licence plates. You point out a random car going past and you have to make a convincing promotion name out of the last three letters. Getting a 'W' was a God send but you had to use your wits and creativity to get through the tough ones.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I spot them all the time. Saw a WWF earlier this week. Realise you're a proper sad bastard when you spot something as minor as APA.

There’s a ‘Darsow Street’ on my bus route. You can imagine my pathetic, daily grin.