Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Matches under 10 mins are better than matches over 10 minutes. Discuss.

At a time when people's attention spans seem to be shorter than ever, it makes the mind boggle why there's been this trend of over-long matches over recent years.

• Paid Members

When it comes to TV wrestling, matches that aren't the main event or for a championship shouldn't be long enough for their to be an advert break. A long match helps no one. Get over the characters, story and their main spots then get the hell out. Today's trend of every match going over 10 minutes is the main reason I've mostly stopped watching. Ideal length for a competitive TV match should be 6 or 7 minutes. 

18 minutes ago, Louch said:

Shorter matches with people winning with more than just their main finisher works for me. Keep it unpredictable and exciting 

Bret was mad for this, from what I remember. It seemed like he won just as many matches with the Sharpshooter as he did with pins like small packages and victory rolls.

45 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Bret was mad for this, from what I remember. It seemed like he won just as many matches with the Sharpshooter as he did with pins like small packages and victory rolls.

I particularly liked Bret winning his 3 King of the Ring matches in 93 with different moves other than the sharpshooter. 

2 hours ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

I was going to put this in the Unpopular Opinion thread, but I’m not so sure it is an unpopular opinion. Maybe not here anyway.

The Jon Moxley squash that opened this weeks Dynamite show and then the rest of the show that followed made me think how much I’ve come to enjoy squash matches and short sprints to the 15 min+ forced “epic”. Over the last 5-10 years there’s been a million of the latter and very few of them (if any really) have had much of a lasting impact on me. Whereas I almost always enjoy a mental all out sprint or dominating squash.

Completely agree. My attention span is that of a napkin. After 10-15 mins I am done and it takes alot to keep me hooked. 

I didn't mind it too much when NXT were having their finishers finishing the match during squash matches on TV rather than random moves/small packages. At least that way it got the finisher over as an actual power move that could end the match rather than how it in on the main roster where everyone kicks out of the finishers at least once. It makes them lose all credibility as a match ending move that way.

3 hours ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

I was going to put this in the Unpopular Opinion thread, but I’m not so sure it is an unpopular opinion. Maybe not here anyway.

The Jon Moxley squash that opened this weeks Dynamite show and then the rest of the show that followed made me think how much I’ve come to enjoy squash matches and short sprints to the 15 min+ forced “epic”. Over the last 5-10 years there’s been a million of the latter and very few of them (if any really) have had much of a lasting impact on me. Whereas I almost always enjoy a mental all out sprint or dominating squash.

Brock vs Goldberg at WrestleMania 33 is the perfect example of this. Fantastic match and well under 10 minutes. 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, garynysmon said:

At a time when people's attention spans seem to be shorter than ever, it makes the mind boggle why there's been this trend of over-long matches over recent years.

As much as there's that trend in terms of social media - I read somewhere that Tweets of more than 100 characters are less likely to get good numbers, which means even with forced brevity, people still can't be bothered - the exact opposite has happened with movies. Pretty much every blockbuster post-LOTR has followed a "more is more" model, on the mistaken belief that being longer makes it an "epic". 

Bring back 89 minute movies and 10 minute wrestling matches!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

As much as there's that trend in terms of social media - I read somewhere that Tweets of more than 100 characters are less likely to get good numbers... Bring back 89 minute movies and 10 minute wrestling matches!

And three word sentences.

On 12/16/2019 at 4:23 PM, BomberPat said:

As much as there's that trend in terms of social media - I read somewhere that Tweets of more than 100 characters are less likely to get good numbers, which means even with forced brevity, people still can't be bothered - the exact opposite has happened with movies. Pretty much every blockbuster post-LOTR has followed a "more is more" model, on the mistaken belief that being longer makes it an "epic". 

Bring back 89 minute movies and 10 minute wrestling matches!

Would a 15-20 minute wrestling show work if it was put online or even on TV (although probably too short) a few times a week? Instead of tuning in once a week for 2-3 hours they show something along the lines of match-angle/promo's etc- match. Minus adverts that's about how long a lot of soap opera's would be and that of course has been touted as a component of what wrestling is for many years. I know we had Wrestling Society X in 2006 but that was dog shit due to many other issues.