Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Luger is another victim of revisionism. I blame Meltzer. He's one of those guys he hated and would always bury and it's stuck.

There were times when he did suck. His WWF career was dull and once they aborted his big push, he gave up completely. He was shite in the dying days of WCW too. but he had some really good periods as a worker and a character. He was great in 88 and 89. Was always put down to Flair just being Flair from stuff I've read and heard but watch him in with almost anyone around that time and he was good. He was excellent after he returned in 95 too. His character work for a couple of years was gold and he got massively over in the ring. Under-rated period.

I always get a chuckle from @Liam O'Rourke on the SCG timelines right into 99 as he always pops for Luger's antics. I watched some of the early Russo shows along with the timeline and Lex and Sting are by far the best bit of the show even then.

Lex is one of those complexities that people are happy to try and sum up in a one liner. Usually stolen from someone else. Like those that try to sum up the Ultimate Warrior with Bobby Heenan's opinion.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Luger is another victim of revisionism. I blame Meltzer. He's one of those guys he hated and would always bury and it's stuck.

There were times when he did suck. His WWF career was dull and once they aborted his big push, he gave up completely. He was shite in the dying days of WCW too.

I quite liked the 2000/01 Luger.  Not so much the Bagwell shit but it always used to tickle me how he'd acknowledge and wave at non-existant cheers from the crowd as he walked to the ring.

• Paid Members

It's the very specific sequence of "flick bridge of nose, thumb penis" that gets me. Same every time.

We spent the subsequent couple of shows with at least one person on the show trying to get away with doing it without making the other guys in the ring corpse. One of the last shows of that run, we had Tatanka in for. We were out for a post-show meal, and someone started trying to explain the whole thing to him, and he just laughed and said, "Lex was always doing that", and we were all none the wiser. 

• Paid Members

Between 89 and 91, Luger was consistently having the best matches on pretty much every PPV that NWA and WCW did. His body of work was amazing, even during that Stan Hansen feud where he looked genuinely terrified of him.

• Paid Members

I need your help.

Me and a mate are in a long term debate and whether or not Mark Henry once used Kurt Angles generic/original ‘gold medal’ theme, back in the early Mark Henry days.

Either on an event, on a vignette, or possibly on a home video exclusive kind of thing. 

Either way, we’ve asked a few people including the likes of Richard Land, but we’re getting a few mixed responses. Some people say ‘no, can’t remember that’. Others can clearly remember it but can’t remember where from, so no proof.

Can anyone on here remember him using the theme at all, and any guesses as to where/when?