Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

We made an Icopro sign when we went to see Lex at the WWA show at the MEN years ago. It was him and Jarrett Vs Sting & Bagwell in the main. It was all of 5 minutes.

Today,  while seeing whether somebody had beaten me to an idea for a South Park/Eighties telly/ pretty terrible pun based t-shirt, I learned that there's at least one tag team in North America that goes by the name of The "Eh" Team. I may still attempt to create the t-shirt for my own amusement.

• Paid Members

So basically, TNA (at one stage) were regularly pulling in almost the same viewership as both AEW and NXT combined.

Mad when you think about it, even in 2014 TNA were getting such ratings.

Granted a lot of people have stopped their Cable TV subs since then, but given the recent buzz its still crazy that a million viewers seemed to drift away.

bs

• Paid Members

Tenay & West were a good commentary team. Plus they were actually there to call the action, unlike Matthews & Tazz who always looked like they were reading lines into a camera in a hotel room. 

3 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Tenay & West were a good commentary team. Plus they were actually there to call the action, unlike Matthews & Tazz who always looked like they were reading lines into a camera in a hotel room. 

I loved Tenay and West. Some might have found West over the top, but Randy Savage was one of my favourite commentators so I like over the top. 

I watched TNA during Hogan's run and up to some of the Aces storyline. I definitely felt it was noticeable then that Tenay was not enjoying the product, and I feel his performance was somewhat laboured. I feel he's a good commentator, with a good voice and good at selling a match or angle. But he defo lost his spark/interest at one point 

• Paid Members

Just perusing Instagram (I know, I know) and saw Lana's story from last night. They've actually started kayfabing as she stuck stuff on there about finally being able to afford her own home and rocking up to the Smackdown Premier with Lashley. I wonder whether this is a Bischoff thing or a Heyman thing. More wrestlers respecting kayfabe on social media could be good. 

@LEGITI'll raise your Aces & Eights for a Hogan-Bischoff era. I think Tenay felt like he'd been dragged back to the death of WCW at the time with all the stupid swerves and occasionally predictable TV they'd put out. It is a shame as he's an incredibly knowledgeable play by play guy, and West became great on colour at putting the guys over. His heel turn was pretty good as well, but because he'd come from outside wrestling all his excitement at the stuff he saw felt a lot more real. It's almost as though once the footage emerged of them sat at the desk evading their script out loud they knew they the cat was out of the bag. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

I don't personally think anything is wrong with perusing Instagram, I could just sensed some disapproval. 

I was watching a random triple threat match from WCW Thunder from late 2000's. Goldberg vs. Lex Luger vs. Bam Bam Bigelow. And it got me thinking how shit Lex Luger descended to at the end of WCW and was still being used as a main talent. To finish the year 2000 he had two PPV matches with Goldberg, one went 6 minutes and as it was Starrcade they went 90 seconds longer. Both matches were terrible, Lex can hardly move, bumps like a pantomime horse and oversells everything. The last two years of WCW, Lex is making the most money he ever did with the company.

I find out from the Chris Harrington, Google site. WCW offered Lex a new contract mid 1999, when he was out for 8 months with a bicep injury. Bear in mind, at the end of 1998, WCW had no plans for Lex. He didn't even make the Halloween Havoc or Starrcade 1998 PPV cards. To show how popular Lex was at this point. In 1999, he took his $1.3m salary and his commission from merchandise sales was $12. Konnan make $5k in merch commission that year.

• Paid Members

Lex is a strange one. Looked like a Million bucks, but I can never understand why he got into the spots he did. He was a terrible promo. In ring he was incredibly bland.  I think Prichard said something about him being able to wager a career on looks alone during the Yokozuna episode of STTW.