Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Couldn't decide whether to pop this in here or in the questions thread (mods feel free to move if needed). I watched the Worlds Collide show from Mania weekend on the Network and the broadcast team was Percy Watson and Byron Saxton. This got me wondering, would this be the first time ever that WWE has had an all African American announce team on a televised show? I can't think of another example of this happening, and I could be missing something really obvious, but if that's true I thought it was worth highlighting as a pretty cool thing.

I'm not saying WWE did so deliberately, mind. I suspect they just happened to be the two people available for this show. 

Edited by mim731

• Paid Members

Very strange story I'd forgotten from Jerry Lawler on the classic Steve Austin podcast. He claims that he first became a commentator when Randy Savage turned up on WCW TV and Vince was desperate for a replacement at short notice. He was on commentary on Superstars 2 years before that wasn't he? His version sounds better though!

He tells that story all the time and I guess nobody feels like correcting him. His version is they were looking for Savage backstage at Raw and nobody could find him until someone turned on a TV and saw Savage on Nitro. Vince then asked Lawler to stand in on an hours notice and he never looked back. Of course that completely ignores the fact that a) Savage jumped in 94 way before Nitro was even a thing, and b) Vince actually gave Savage an on-screen farewell on Raw way before he turned up in WCW.  It's really odd as Lawler's stories are usually fairly factual and downplayed rather than Hogan-esque hyperbole. But he's somehow convinced himself that this is true. 

• Paid Members

I wonder his memories have gone through a "Mandela effect" kind of thing, where he was indeed asked to fill for Savage at short notice, but rather because Savage missed a flight of something like that. He may have told the story so many times over the years with tiny little inaccuracies, that said inaccuracies have mistakes have mounted up and he now believes them as true...

• Paid Members

Sounds like he's mixing up "first became a WWF commentator" and "first did commentary on Raw." He did a couple of weeks right after Savage left and they were trying out replacements. The "Savage didn't turn up and we saw him on Nitro" is obviously bollocks.

Virgil was one of my favourite wrestlers, and I’d not clocked until now that a lot of that was probably the SummerSlam 91 match - that was my first PPV so it was probably only the second match I’d ever seen between two proper wrestlers. The storyline and the match had Virg looking great. I feel like I got into wrestling in that very short window where Virgil seemed like a top boy. I was livid when Repo Man fucked him over not long after.

• Paid Members

Not really sure where to put this, it's far too minor to even qualify as minor 'news' but I just found it interesting so going to put it in here:

This has resulted in some interesting debate amongst wrestlers on Twitter. Well, debate in the same way that all the other captains debated with Redbeard Rum about whether it was common maritime practice for a ship to have a crew or not.

Pretty much everyone from Ethan Page (who has said he'll buy the bloke a new briefcase) to Ricochet to Brian Pillman Jr to Jimmy Havoc to Vampiro has said it's a dick move. The lone voice of dissent in all this is good old Eugene, who supports the "don't bring it if you don't want me to smash it up" theory.

Seems to me like it's pretty easy to ask before going out there "hey, mind if I smash your gear up to get heat? No, ok."

What think you?