Paid Members Carbomb Posted April 30, 2019 Paid Members Posted April 30, 2019 Saw the phrase "bush league" used a few times in the AEW thread, and the thought occurs: I'd love to see a Bush League Wrestling promotion. By which I don't mean an actual bush-league promotion, there are more than enough of those, but one that's good enough to make it seems small-time and shitty while actually being entertaining. Sort of like an I'm Alan Partridge of wrestling, or a real version of Southpaw Regional Wrestling. Maybe have angles where, say, an opponent hasn't shown up because he's got arrested, but they only tell the ring announcer just as he's announcing him and is forced to cover for it and everyone looks awkward. Or an actual Johnny Kickpads character with a typical, over-the-top indy name like Logan Viper or something, who is unbelievably shit and skinny, but keeps getting wins because of interference or accidents or other feuds overlapping. And, obviously, have a Global/World/Universal championship belt, preferably that Highspots template circle belt we saw everywhere at one point, which looks even more ridiculous being defended in a crappy gym. Then book the likes of Kevin Nash and job everyone on the roster to him, and have him walk off looking bemused and disgusted, while the promoter hands him a big roll of cash at the entrance way in front of everybody in the hall. EDIT: Should point out that I know this isn't really possible. To be be entertainingly shit on purpose in most entertainment fields, you have to be quite good but also relatively unknown for such a gimmick to work, and in wrestling, it seems that, if you're good enough to be relied upon for something that advanced, you're probably already quite well known as a talent.
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted April 30, 2019 Paid Members Posted April 30, 2019 7 minutes ago, Carbomb said: EDIT: Should point out that I know this isn't really possible. Dunno, sounds like every promotion Vince Russo has booked for the last 20 years.
Paid Members Carbomb Posted April 30, 2019 Paid Members Posted April 30, 2019 2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: Dunno, sounds like every promotion Vince Russo has booked for the last 20 years. His comedy wasn't intentional though
Paid Members Bellenda Carlisle Posted April 30, 2019 Paid Members Posted April 30, 2019 On 4/29/2019 at 8:26 AM, I like root beer said: I found Kelly Kelly a bit rude went for an autograph and was talking to her fans through her phone barely making eye contact, she seemed better on the photo op than autograph. I had no idea she was there, was she popular?
I like root beer Posted May 1, 2019 Posted May 1, 2019 10 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said: I had no idea she was there, was she popular? She was only there on Sunday table in top left corner next to RVD. At the time I went for a autograph her line was the same size as RVD. And her photo op was quite popular a long-ish que but that may be down to only having 1 in 1 day. Most wrestlers got 4 photo ops over 2 days.
Paid Members Chris B Posted May 8, 2019 Paid Members Posted May 8, 2019 I saw pictures from Jimmy Havoc's last Progress match yesterday, where he bled so much he turned his entire outfit red. It just made me realise how much of a turn-off I find excessive blood-letting. I remember how PWI used to sell itself with excessively bloody pictures, and when I was a kid/teen, I found it equally fascinating and disgusting, but decades later, I've ended up just glad I wasn't there at the event (I'd been there the night before for Kaiju Big Battel). A bit of blood is one thing, and I get that accidents happen, but I think I definitely prefer WWE's approach of stopping a match and patching someone up if necessary - it feels more realistic as well. Is it still a selling point for anyone?
Paid Members garynysmon Posted May 8, 2019 Paid Members Posted May 8, 2019 29 minutes ago, Chris B said: I saw pictures from Jimmy Havoc's last Progress match yesterday, where he bled so much he turned his entire outfit red. It just made me realise how much of a turn-off I find excessive blood-letting. I remember how PWI used to sell itself with excessively bloody pictures, and when I was a kid/teen, I found it equally fascinating and disgusting, but decades later, I've ended up just glad I wasn't there at the event (I'd been there the night before for Kaiju Big Battel). A bit of blood is one thing, and I get that accidents happen, but I think I definitely prefer WWE's approach of stopping a match and patching someone up if necessary - it feels more realistic as well. Is it still a selling point for anyone? I detest most garbage matches tbh, so tend to agree. I didn't mind as such the WWF's late 90's 'Hardcore matches' as they were almost cartoony in just whacking someone over the head several times with flimsy dustbins, before such headshots were outlawed for what are perfectly valid reasons. On the flipside, blood is totally justified and can add to a match when done right, such as Flair v Savage at WM8 or Bret v Austin at WM 13. But I can see no point at all in Japanese death matches, or barbed wire rope contests as its just too gory and well, pointless. I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to blood etc so can see nothing enjoyable in someone stapling someone else's forehead or even using drawing pins (fuck off with your 'thumbtacks'). Let's put it this way, I have absolutely no desire to chase up old Abdullah the Butcher matches.
Paid Members air_raid Posted May 8, 2019 Paid Members Posted May 8, 2019 38 minutes ago, Chris B said: A bit of blood is one thing, and I get that accidents happen, but I think I definitely prefer WWE's approach of stopping a match and patching someone up if necessary - it feels more realistic as well. Is it still a selling point for anyone? Depends on the level of feud and the type of match. I have a hard time watching cage/Cell/Chamber matches listening to the commentators squawk on about how dangerous the match is, yet I know nobody's going to be made to bleed from all the collisions with the metal surfaces despite years of being conditioned that the blood is a consequence of the surroundings. Affects suspension of disbelief for the "fight." Like a battle scene with bullets flying all over but nobody actually gets shot.
WyattSheepMask Posted May 8, 2019 Posted May 8, 2019 Depends on what story they’re trying to tell. It can add to any match involving Brock because he has that legitimacy, but I don’t need to see someone in the mid card bleeding a gusher just for the sake of it. I didn’t watch any deathmatch wrestling for years, think the last I saw was CZW Cage of Death in 2007 or so, but a few weeks ago I watched the Tournament of Death that Jimmy Havoc won, and remembered why I stopped watching that style of wrestling. It’s fucking stupid
Paid Members Accident Prone Posted May 8, 2019 Paid Members Posted May 8, 2019 46 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said: Depends on what story they’re trying to tell. It can add to any match involving Brock because he has that legitimacy, but I don’t need to see someone in the mid card bleeding a gusher just for the sake of it. I didn’t watch any deathmatch wrestling for years, think the last I saw was CZW Cage of Death in 2007 or so, but a few weeks ago I watched the Tournament of Death that Jimmy Havoc won, and remembered why I stopped watching that style of wrestling. It’s fucking stupid TBF, that was a pretty sub-par tournament that mirrors CZW sub-par (and rapidly declining) product. I'd suggest giving Game Changer Wrestling a go, as they've become the premier deathmatch promotion in North America and they also hold those whacky Spring Break shows and similarly-styled events throughout the year. They're also holding an invitation-only Backward Wrestling event in July that's bound to be deliriously entertaining and nostalgic.
Max Power Posted May 9, 2019 Posted May 9, 2019 I've just watched Raw for the first time in ages. Well, the first 10 minutes. I have one question - what's up with Vince's eyes?
dopper Posted May 9, 2019 Posted May 9, 2019 I know what you mean about Vince's eyes. I've noticed it once before on Peter Boyle who played Ray's dad in 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. He went from having very expressive eyes to a glazed blank look at some point very quickly. Comes with age I suppose.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.