PowerButchi

Random Thoughts III.

I saw pictures from Jimmy Havoc's last Progress match yesterday, where he bled so much he turned his entire outfit red. It just made me realise how much of a turn-off I find excessive blood-letting. I remember how PWI used to sell itself with excessively bloody pictures, and when I was a kid/teen, I found it equally fascinating and disgusting, but decades later, I've ended up just glad I wasn't there at the event (I'd been there the night before for Kaiju Big Battel). A bit of blood is one thing, and I get that accidents happen, but I think I definitely prefer WWE's approach of stopping a match and patching someone up if necessary - it feels more realistic as well. Is it still a selling point for anyone?

29 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I saw pictures from Jimmy Havoc's last Progress match yesterday, where he bled so much he turned his entire outfit red. It just made me realise how much of a turn-off I find excessive blood-letting. I remember how PWI used to sell itself with excessively bloody pictures, and when I was a kid/teen, I found it equally fascinating and disgusting, but decades later, I've ended up just glad I wasn't there at the event (I'd been there the night before for Kaiju Big Battel). A bit of blood is one thing, and I get that accidents happen, but I think I definitely prefer WWE's approach of stopping a match and patching someone up if necessary - it feels more realistic as well. Is it still a selling point for anyone?

I detest most garbage matches tbh, so tend to agree.

I didn't mind as such the WWF's late 90's 'Hardcore matches' as they were almost cartoony in just whacking someone over the head several times with flimsy dustbins, before such headshots were outlawed for what are perfectly valid reasons.

On the flipside, blood is totally justified and can add to a match when done right, such as Flair v Savage at WM8 or Bret v Austin at WM 13. But I can see no point at all in Japanese death matches, or barbed wire rope contests as its just too gory and well, pointless. 

I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to blood etc so can see nothing enjoyable in someone stapling someone else's forehead or even using drawing pins (fuck off with your 'thumbtacks'). Let's put it this way, I have absolutely no desire to chase up old Abdullah the Butcher matches.

Edited by garynysmon

38 minutes ago, Chris B said:

A bit of blood is one thing, and I get that accidents happen, but I think I definitely prefer WWE's approach of stopping a match and patching someone up if necessary - it feels more realistic as well. Is it still a selling point for anyone?

Depends on the level of feud and the type of match. I have a hard time watching cage/Cell/Chamber matches listening to the commentators squawk on about how dangerous the match is, yet I know nobody's going to be made to bleed from all the collisions with the metal surfaces despite years of being conditioned that the blood is a consequence of the surroundings. Affects suspension of disbelief for the "fight." Like a battle scene with bullets flying all over but nobody actually gets shot.

Depends on what story they’re trying to tell. It can add to any match involving Brock because he has that legitimacy, but I don’t need to see someone in the mid card bleeding a gusher just for the sake of it.

I didn’t watch any deathmatch wrestling for years, think the last I saw was CZW Cage of Death in 2007 or so, but a few weeks ago I watched the Tournament of Death that Jimmy Havoc won, and remembered why I stopped watching that style of wrestling. It’s fucking stupid

46 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Depends on what story they’re trying to tell. It can add to any match involving Brock because he has that legitimacy, but I don’t need to see someone in the mid card bleeding a gusher just for the sake of it.

I didn’t watch any deathmatch wrestling for years, think the last I saw was CZW Cage of Death in 2007 or so, but a few weeks ago I watched the Tournament of Death that Jimmy Havoc won, and remembered why I stopped watching that style of wrestling. It’s fucking stupid

TBF, that was a pretty sub-par tournament that mirrors CZW sub-par (and rapidly declining) product.

I'd suggest giving Game Changer Wrestling a go, as they've become the premier deathmatch promotion in North America and they also hold those whacky Spring Break shows and similarly-styled events throughout the year. They're also holding an invitation-only Backward Wrestling event in July that's bound to be deliriously entertaining and nostalgic.

I've just watched Raw for the first time in ages. Well, the first 10 minutes. I have one question - what's up with Vince's eyes?

I know what you mean about Vince's eyes. I've noticed it once before on Peter Boyle who played Ray's dad in 'Everybody Loves Raymond'.

He went from having very expressive eyes to a glazed blank look at some point very quickly. Comes with age I suppose.

boyle1.jpg

boyle2.jpg

25 minutes ago, dopper said:

I know what you mean about Vince's eyes. I've noticed it once before on Peter Boyle who played Ray's dad in 'Everybody Loves Raymond'.

He went from having very expressive eyes to a glazed blank look at some point very quickly. Comes with age I suppose.

boyle1.jpg

boyle2.jpg

I remember him mainly from playing the Monster in Young Frankenstein.

5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I remember him mainly from playing the Monster in Young Frankenstein.

"PUU'IIII' OOOOOO' THE RIIIIII'"

Could be a mix of glaucoma, fading lenses and the like. No chance Vince is going to tap out to that. "I'll just do ten more reps with my eyelids, that'll muscle 'em out."

How completely unwatchable would the WWE network be if they still had to edit "WWF" and the scratch logo out of every show?

Vince's eyes always look red raw, like he's been crying. 

One thing that surprised me watching '98 stuff, early in Vince's heel run, is that he puts his reading glasses on to read a prepared statement. You can't imagine the psycho "Can't Let The Beard Win" Vince of 2019 conceding a sign of weakness like that, so I do wonder if he's fucked his vision by stubbornly never wearing his glasses/lenses any more.

That "Can't Let The Beard Win" thing reminds me of this: