Paid Members Carbomb Posted February 19, 2019 Paid Members Posted February 19, 2019 44 minutes ago, Accident Prone said: How is it possible for anyone to dislike this man? Yeah, there are some questionable stories of his backstage politicking and squandering 'pushes', and his superman booking put a lot of people off the WWE product, but he is so bloody entertaining at everything else that you instantly forgive him. I like the guy a lot, he seems really nice, and he's one of the best workers and promos in the business ever. But yeah - the character and the way he's booked is one of the reasons I switched off. I'd probably enjoy hanging out with the guy, then stay in the pub while he goes off to work on RAW (or whichever programme he's on now).
Paid Members BomberPat Posted February 19, 2019 Paid Members Posted February 19, 2019 Watching ECW November to Remember '98 over the last few days, and ECW really had to be the best example of successful marketing in wrestling history? It's basically old Memphis angles plus an extra helping of misogyny and swearing, yet it really managed to get over as a groundbreaking, unique new product. I laughed out loud at the realisation that, on PPV at the height of their powers, the trendy Philadelphia hardcore promotion put Tracy Smothers vs. Tommy Rogers on their biggest show of the year. A match that could have been on the midcard of any Tennessee or Georgia show of the '80s, or a WCW B-show in the early '90s, and it's making the cut for ECW's biggest card in 1998. And Tommy Rich is at ringside. (None of this is a criticism, by the way - give me a blank chequebook, and I'm booking all the Memphis old-timers I can get my hands on)
Factotum Posted February 20, 2019 Posted February 20, 2019 Yeah Paul E knew what he was doing. On that, I find Heyman an incredibly fascinating character. I would love a book of his. You would probably need 7 of them, and to hell with a fact checker!
Paid Members Accident Prone Posted February 20, 2019 Paid Members Posted February 20, 2019 On 2/9/2019 at 1:01 PM, Supremo said: Was coming in here to post about that OTT hype video. Fucking hell that's a work of art. I don't know who is behind those videos but they're the best in the business right now. Get on this. Incredible. Bringing this over from the YouTube thread as I've watched this match last night. And boy oh boy, does it fucking deliver! My MOTY so far, and it's going to take some beating. Everything from the entrances, Starr's ring attire, the crowd, commentary, the match itself... Quintessential pro wrestling. The card is really bloody good too. I've got three more matches to watch later on and I think it's going to be my current show of the year after it's all said and done. OTT are going to have a brilliant year if they keep at this level. Possibly the best company in Europe.
UK Kat Von D Posted March 3, 2019 Posted March 3, 2019 I like this. I assume some of you might like this as well
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted March 3, 2019 Paid Members Posted March 3, 2019 I'd happily get the Martin Bearer tattooed on me.
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted March 4, 2019 Paid Members Posted March 4, 2019 On 3/3/2019 at 4:20 PM, UK Kat Von D said: I like this. I assume some of you might like this as well Lenny & Carl as the Acolytes/APA is inspired.
Paid Members ColinBollocks Posted March 4, 2019 Paid Members Posted March 4, 2019 If you ever want a concrete example of how shocking commentary standards are in WWE, watch Jim Cornette's MLW debut on YouTube. It's nearly impossible not to get pulled into the action with the way dear Jim sells you everything with such enthusiasm and nailed on instincts. Raw would be exponentially more watchable if they had Jim about selling all their guff.
Paid Members WeeAl Posted March 4, 2019 Paid Members Posted March 4, 2019 Precisely how many cases of attempted murder would I have to sit through on this particular episode of MLW in order to catch Corny on commentary?
Mr Butternut Squash Posted March 4, 2019 Posted March 4, 2019 21 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said: If you ever want a concrete example of how shocking commentary standards are in WWE, watch Jim Cornette's MLW debut on YouTube. It's nearly impossible not to get pulled into the action with the way dear Jim sells you everything with such enthusiasm and nailed on instincts. Raw would be exponentially more watchable if they had Jim about selling all their guff. I don’t follow MLW but I’m pleased to hear he’s doing well. Cornett’s review of the Lafayette Raw a few weeks back is the most effortlessly brilliant dissection of a wwe show I’ve ever seen/heard. Fuck it, Bruce is back, already doing gang busters with that Batista segment, bring back Corny too. He’s clearly still got a mind for it. Shame he’s a mouthy blowhard and seems to drive everyone away.
Paid Members Statto Posted March 7, 2019 Paid Members Posted March 7, 2019 Given the way things have progressed since they split the brands, and with one of the titles now headlining Wrestlemania, I wonder if WWE regrets not mirroring the WWE Champion/Universal Champion naming convention on the women’s side?
Paid Members Your Fight Site Posted March 8, 2019 Paid Members Posted March 8, 2019 13 hours ago, Statto said: Given the way things have progressed since they split the brands, and with one of the titles now headlining Wrestlemania, I wonder if WWE regrets not mirroring the WWE Champion/Universal Champion naming convention on the women’s side? They probably realised how awful “Universal” champion sounds and decided not to make the same mistake twice.
Undefeated Steak Posted March 10, 2019 Posted March 10, 2019 There should be a stable called The Algorithms who pop up in skits trying to sell wrestlers items they've just mentioned. Could be huge in the run up to TLC.
BrodyGraham Posted March 10, 2019 Posted March 10, 2019 Riddick Moss looks like family size Jay White.
Paid Members Your Fight Site Posted March 10, 2019 Paid Members Posted March 10, 2019 23 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said: There should be a stable called The Algorithms who pop up in skits trying to sell wrestlers items they've just mentioned. Could be huge in the run up to TLC. Could just go really close to the knuckle and have a Zuckerberg lookalike pop up: “I thought you might be interested in this…” ”I’m sick of that Mark…”
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.