Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

What a mixed bag that show was. The B-Team win the belts in the most basic of matches you could have. The Raw tag belts are as low on the priority list as they could be. The whole tag scene on the Red brand is dull as dishwater. 

I liked Nakamura and Hardy not being a match and just being an angle. You need to throw this out there every so often so that people buy into falls and the idea that a match can end at any point. Based on the talk of how beat up Jeff is, this ended up being a lot better than if they had tried to do an 8 minute house show match.

Team Hell No Vs Bludgeons was hampered by Kane having the injury and meaning that they couldn't go over (they maybe weren't going to anyway) though I did like the angle before the match, but I'm not sure where Bryan goes next. Really he shouldn't be finished with 2B, but I'm not sure who to team him up with. 

The finish in Lashley Vs Reigns surprised me. I really didn't expect a clean pin out of nowhere on Reigns. Having said that, Reigns probably wins a number one contenders match on Raw tonight and then Lashley is his challenger after SummerSlam. That bump Lashley took was fucking mental though. I'll be surprised if he doesn't have an injury that he'll trace back to the decision to go ass over tit onto the ice rink fron 12 feet in the air, at 42 years old. Speaking of bumps. . .

Owens fall from the Cell was frightening. When Strowman went up there I thought "surely to God he's not doing this, has Owens seen Mick Foley lately?" Then sure enough, off into the night sky he went. Madness. Owens has been the face in this feud and Braun has been the bully though. Be a 🌟 in full swing and all that. 

AJ Vs Rusev was the best thing on the show. These two had a really good match as expected. 

I have no idea, after seeing the finished to both matches, why the IC Title match went on last. That match ended up being completely overbooked with an awful finish. It looked like a sure fire winner on paper, but too many rapid fire falls, the restart and Rollins losing, all hampered this. Rollins needs to come out on top in this feud in the end or get elevated above it, as he was hot as hell before it began. Strowman's cooling, Reigns is ice cold. WWE need Rollins to not head the same way. Get him the bloody title tonight in a re-match. Hopefully.

• Paid Members

A baffling PPV, full of all the sort of decisions that make me struggle to grasp what WWE are playing at these days.

They were trying to sell a story of the B-Team winning being this huge upset, and the most surprising result imaginable, but had Michael Cole on commentary talking about how Curtis Axel is a former Intercontinental and Tag Team Champion - so they've just told us he's more than capable of winning, and in fact has held the belts before, while also trying to act as if it's unprecedented. They just seem to book stories in isolation, without any thought to how they fit in to their own history or continuity - compare that to NJPW, where matches are often informed by any previous interactions between the competitors. Also, for a story about what a big upset it was, they focused solely on "the B-Team have won, who saw that coming?" rather than pointing out that they'd beaten one of the most successful tag team wrestlers of all time, and a former WWE Champion. Though they've probably even forgotten Bray was champion now.

Same sort of thing in Corbin/Balor - they tried to sell it as an upset, but aside from Corbin being the bigger guy, who's buying that? Finn Balor was the first Universal Champion, has won his fair share of matches, and who'd Corbin ever beat?

Same thing in the main event. Michael Cole talked about how "an Iron Man match can make your career" - both of them are former World Champions, they shouldn't still be looking for a "career making match", they should be fucking made!

Mad decision to have Lashley go over clean against Reigns, too. For a top babyface, Reigns jobs all over the shop, it's ridiculous.

Adding to the above. They again went with the 'scared of heights angle' with Ellsworth. "Oh he is scared of heights" forgetting he helped Carmella win the briefcase last year. It's like as soon as there is any match involving a ladder or shark cage everyone is scared of heights.

Kevin Owens - I know he is a heel but wish we had the prize fighting Kevin Owens back rather than the cowardly heel, I get that he is against a monster but do miss the Kevin Owens of old where he would be cocky to believe he can win, as mentioned already him and Braun has come across like Braun is the bully in all this.

Orton's return to me as a heel looks like he is tricking Nakamura into thinking they are on the same side (think Wyatt feud), whether they do this with the pay off being mania or they do it within the next three weeks is anyones guess. 

• Paid Members

I posted this the other day....

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:20 AM, Supremo said:

Moment you hated wrestling the most?

Besides the obvious Benoit stuff, I think the last few years since the CM Punk and Daniel Bryan angles gave the fans this weird arrogance and sense of entitlement. As much as I loved both angles, they created such a horrible monster. I can't fucking stand the, "You Deserve It!" and, "This is Wrestling!" chants. All that shit does my head in more than it probably should. It feels like it's died down a bit recently but for a good while there it felt like the wanky crowds were going to kill my enjoyment dead. You couldn't even enjoy a great match or a title change for hearing those dickheads doing their shit chants. Same goes for the Raw after Wrestlemania. That used to be so much fun but now it's a platform for virgins to make themselves feel like they're hilarious and cool when they're the least funny, least cool people who've ever lived. It's like being stuck in a student pub when you've grown out of that phase.

I take back everything I said about the wanky crowds dying down. It only took a few days for those dickheads to find a new way to annoy the piss out of me. Honestly, fuck those fans. Their behaviour during that main event was fucking embarrassing. Shut the fuck up, you bunch of unfunny, uncool, virgin bell-ends. Counting down the final ten seconds of the minute wasn't funny the first time, so it's not at all surprising that they did it over and over again. Wrestling fans are the absolute worst. Genuinely, I know the culture has changed and most wrestlers don't look down on fans as stupid marks anymore, but at times like this I feel like it's more deserved than ever. They're absolutely dreadful.

I'm not a huge fan of people shitting on Roman's matches but I can at least understand it because of how badly Roman has been scripted. But Rollins? He's been the best babyface of the year not called Johnny Gargano and this would've probably been a fantastic match if the crowd hadn't killed it by being such bad, bad mongs. Both guys were clearly rattled and it became clear pretty quickly that nothing was going to fix it. Trying to get that crowd back into it was a literal impossibility. I almost wonder whether they changed the finish on the fly because of how shit that crowd were. I wouldn't have blamed them at all. They didn't deserve to be sent home happy. Complete and utter pricks, the lot of them.

• Paid Members

Only just got the chance to watch Extreme Rules, and then I only watched for the Owens bump. The fall itself was terrifying and must have been agony for the lad, but the visuals were no where near the levels of Foleys.

• Awards Moderator

I guess I'll be writing about Braun v Owens in 20 years then. I applaud that the table was properly gimmicked this time, I hope that giant airbag broke the fall well. Oh and the cushion under the announce table helped too. Arf arf. 

Bafflingly straight victory for Lashley. 

What is it with the tag division on recent years? Was in the doldrums, springs back a couple of years ago, now complete dump again. Stop sacrificing teams to your singles stars! 

AJ and Rusev was great. The right man went over for now, though AJ could do with a white hot opponent now. Who for SummerSlam? 

Enjoyed the main event too. Seth's having a great year. Possibly Ziggler's best ever match? 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Supremo said:

I posted this the other day....

I take back everything I said about the wanky crowds dying down. It only took a few days for those dickheads to find a new way to annoy the piss out of me. Honestly, fuck those fans. Their behaviour during that main event was fucking embarrassing. Shut the fuck up, you bunch of unfunny, uncool, virgin bell-ends. Counting down the final ten seconds of the minute wasn't funny the first time, so it's not at all surprising that they did it over and over again. Wrestling fans are the absolute worst. Genuinely, I know the culture has changed and most wrestlers don't look down on fans as stupid marks anymore, but at times like this I feel like it's more deserved than ever. They're absolutely dreadful.

I'm not a huge fan of people shitting on Roman's matches but I can at least understand it because of how badly Roman has been scripted. But Rollins? He's been the best babyface of the year not called Johnny Gargano and this would've probably been a fantastic match if the crowd hadn't killed it by being such bad, bad mongs. Both guys were clearly rattled and it became clear pretty quickly that nothing was going to fix it. Trying to get that crowd back into it was a literal impossibility. I almost wonder whether they changed the finish on the fly because of how shit that crowd were. I wouldn't have blamed them at all. They didn't deserve to be sent home happy. Complete and utter pricks, the lot of them.

I couldn't have said it any better. The crowds are one of the absolute worst things about the shows these days. It wouldn't have mattered if Rollins and Ziggler were about to have one of the best matches of a generation (they weren't) that crowd would have sucked out almost any enjoyment that could have been had from it. Cretins the lot of 'em. 

Could the ever increasing runtime be a reason for the crowds being so bad? I don't attend shows live but I haven't watched a WWE show at home without skipping at least part of it in about 15 years. The idea of watching a B level card for the full 3 hr 40 run time at home with distractions fills me with dread, you couldn't pay me to actually be in the arena and watch it. Hogan/Rock could have headlined and I would struggle to get into it.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, boytoy said:

Could the ever increasing runtime be a reason for the crowds being so bad? I don't attend shows live but I haven't watched a WWE show at home without skipping at least part of it in about 15 years. The idea of watching a B level card for the full 3 hr 40 run time at home with distractions fills me with dread, you couldn't pay me to actually be in the arena and watch it. Hogan/Rock could have headlined and I would struggle to get into it.

Competely agree, and it's going to get worse. The WWE has hit a wall in that More Is Always Better. They have more guys to have to fit in than ever and they need more time per show to do it. Including pre-shows the Big Four are creeping towards needing to be 6hr in length *as standard* and people simply don't have that patience any more. The Monthlies are starting to follow that trend, and therefore TV has to do what it can with network limitations being the only cap.

The Fox deal is a tremendous anchor in that they've paid so much money to have a "main" product on their hands so for now regular TV has to be the priority for the WWE's better product. But later on who's to say that they won't creep towards the premium content / story progressions being WWEN-only, if that's where the financial demand goes? All it takes is for gentle nudging for the casuals to favour NINE NINETY NINE (C) over 10x that for cable subs and that becomes a When issue, not an If. Therefore the Monthlies and Big Five are far less restricted in how long they can run for. Meaning earlier start times.

I can see a mass cull of talent before the above happens, though. Hopefully as a metaphor.

• 3 years later...
  • Paid Members

Given the completely uninspiring card, Wrestlemania Backlash 2022 massively overdelivered. The lows were still low but the highs were way higher than I expected.

Cody vs. Seth was brilliant fun, Edge vs. AJ wasn’t great but it was certainly much better than their Mania DUD, Ronda and Charlotte finally clicked and tapped into the wild, shoot nature of their Survivor Series classic and then the main event was a belting, crazy spot fest where everyone looked great. Tight, three hour show, too. Perfect.

I have very little interest in watching Raw and Smackdown week-to-week, Edge’s Shit Goths faction in particular seems absolutely dreadful, but as a one-off show this was great.

Yeah I really couldn't give a shit about it but remembered it this morning and actually found it a nice speedy watch. A few really good matches and Pat McAfee having a laugh on commentary. I like watching shows that don't feel horrendously dragged out.

My highlight: Drew McIntyre starts taking apart the announce table.

McAfee: "My pencil's gone missing!"
Cole: "You haven't taken a note since you got here."

I only watched the opener, some of Charlotte/Ronda, and the main event, and yep they were fun. That was enough for me!