Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

8 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

She cries a lot, thats what I’ve seen over the past 12 months, she got a push before the last MITB show if I remember right, tons of promos saying this is her chance blah blah blah tears tears tears, cried during the Rumble when Sarah Logan came out, cried during a feud with Rhea Ripley, probably cried a ton last night and she’ll cry in a few weeks time when she probably loses it.

And you enjoyed every second of those tears.

That was a decent bit of business last night, it seemed. 

Can't be arsed pulling apart how it was done or where it could all go. It was just a three hour card with two trigger pulls and a belting tag match in there that - all in all - punched above its weight considering the Sgt. Slaughter Vs. The Sniper circumstances of its change in venue, star depleted card and recline into definite stop gap territory before SummerSlam. 

I'd like to think that'll be the end of Rousey in WWE but they'll probably still get a PPV series out of her and Becky over the next few years and somehow make it work as their women's Lesnar/Reigns. Her star looks like it's fallen so much right now though. It wasn't done perfect but having Liv - she's a fan favourite, who gives a shit if she cries like Flair around the boys - get the moment at the end of that absolute turkey of a match was good WWE. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Is it just a regular simp reaction that’s causing it, or have I missed something that Liv Morgan has done that’s made her all of a sudden very worthwhile and wholeheartedly deserving of a title reign? I’m not saying I dislike her, in fact I really “nothing” her as I’m sure most people did for the majority of her WWE run. But there seems to be this groundswell of ‘you deserve it’ type reactions on Twitter and I’m just curious to get a response from a place where people are (mostly) reasoned and measured. 

She's been held down by the machine! 

EDIT: Seen a few clips from the women's ladder match and Shotzi should be nowhere near a wrestling ring and she's another one that's supposedly been held back and deserves more.

Edited by Nick James

27 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Babyfaces cashing in on a vulnerable champion who’s already wrestled a match is a peak WWE trope. Crying and celebrating afterwards is hilarious.

”Yo Adrian! I did it! I was a shady cunt!”

See this argument a lot, and I think it’s bollocks. The contract literally allows the winner to cash in at any time, so they’re following the rules given to them and precedent set by others. Plus they earned that opportunity by beating 6 other wrestlers in a ladder match, which they had to win a qualifier match to get into in the first place. It’s not like it’s a lottery ticket they lucked into. I get the point being made, but it’s really not the big issue that it seems to be made out to be.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Bicurious Dad said:

See this argument a lot, and I think it’s bollocks. The contract literally allows the winner to cash in at any time, so they’re following the rules given to them and precedent set by others. Plus they earned that opportunity by beating 6 other wrestlers in a ladder match, which they had to win a qualifier match to get into in the first place. It’s not like it’s a lottery ticket they lucked into. I get the point being made, but it’s really not the big issue that it seems to be made out to be.

Ronda hugging and celebrating, certainly is an issue though, more so than Liv cashing in.

• Paid Members

I actually watched this event, because I was too tired to concentrate on anything that would require thought.

Women's MITB was pretty good. Really liked the crowd during this, especially when Shotzi's ballsed up a couple of times and they chanted her name rather than ragged on her. No doubt tossers like @TildeGuy~! would be yelling "You fucked up!" like it's 1998 ECW. Liv Morgan's very likeable although they shouldn't have split her lesbian BDSM team with Rhea Ripley up.

US title match was pretty good, too, even though nobody needs to be seeing Bobby Lashley winning secondary titles in 2022.

Bianca Belair is fantastic and she dragged something decent out of Carmella, who's still shite. Can't wait to see Charlotte Flair (where was she?!) beat her for the title.

The Usos always have excellent matches whenever I see them and this was no exception. Street Profits look like a team you could make into one of the best of all time so obviously they'll be splitting up next week.

No idea why Nattie Neidhart is wrestling for world titles in 2022 and hopefully won't again after this. Well done to Rousey for finding an outfit that doesn't keep disappearing up her arse. Liv's cash-in was nicely done too.

The men's MITB went on way too long and was mostly boring. Austin Theory's great, you arseholes. A proper old school heel who does the least amount necessary to win. You only don't like him because he doesn't do moves Control Your Narrative rightly banned.

It was alright.

On another note, why don't all the PPVs get their own threads these days? Stop finding ways to make more megathreads. @neil, look!

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I quite enjoyed last night. I have no gripes with Theory winning, I do though have one with him just being shoehorned into the match. Makes watching all the qualifying matches over the past month a waste of time. 

When Adam Pearce said "I see your seven contenders", for a second I thought he was going to say "and I raise you seven more". 

Now that would be a clusterfuck. 

Edited by eugenespeed

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bicurious Dad said:

You’re correct in that it’s not a big issue, but only because it’s been happening for so long and they’re so far gone. In a well-written promotion with thought and care put into stories and characters it would stick out like a sore thumb. As it was, it was just a dumb re-hash of something we’ve seen dozens of times before, and I wouldn’t have even mentioned it if it wasn’t for Ronda hugging and crying. Two babyfaces celebrating a shady victory. A perfect snapshot.

It’s the reason WWE doesn’t have any real heroes or villains anymore. No-one to truly root for or against. Everyone exists under the same snidey umbrella of doing whatever you can to win provided it’s within the rules. Goodies don’t have any honour. Baddies don’t cheat. They all just do what they can get away with. Somewhere along the way the only way to be a heel was to pushed down people’s throats and the only way to be a babyface was to not be pushed down people’s throats.

Maybe it’s just me but I reckon Liv calling her shot, cashing in fair and square at Summerslam and then winning would have started her title reign on a slightly better foot. Again though; not that anything matters anymore. I’m well aware, having not even watched this show, that they’re beyond addressing issues like this anymore. Still funny though. Congratulations on sneakily stealing my World Championship. Have a hug.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Congratulations on sneakily stealing my World Championship. Have a hug.

I can see that argument but Rousey's supposed to be a babyface and Morgan's journey has been such a long one that I can see why she reacted that way. It made just about enough sense in storyline and character terms. But yeah, I've never been a fan of this way of cashing shots in but I suppose it's never going away.

For me, the problem would be that I'd never believe Liv to be capable of beating Bianca or Ronda in a match. She's just not that good. Which then obviously brings the discussion to whether she should be winning in the first place at all.. but then when you've had guys like Jack Swagger win, it's clear that the MITB has a fairly shit quality control check over the years. And they just love it for the cash ins.

• Paid Members

To think how incredible the first couple of MITB matches were at Wrestlemania compared to what they serve up now is frustrating like most of the booking these last 15 years. 

Not buying Theory as a realistic challenger at all either but it's just more of the same nothingness from WWE. 

Biggest takeaway for me is how rubbish they've made Rousey look this time around. 

• Paid Members

I honestly can't recall the last time I enjoyed a "regular" (i.e. not including stuff like the Austin match at Mania) WWE match as much as Street Profits vs Usos last night. Real cracker that.