Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

13 hours ago, Supremo said:

Still funny though. Congratulations on sneakily stealing my World Championship. Have a hug.

I'm wondering if this will start a heel turn for Rousey, but her destroying Liv at Summerslam.

Then over on Raw we could have Becky slowly start to turn face again, and then before you know it she gets a Rumble win and at Wrestlemania we get the main event we should have had in 2019.

Only problem doing it now is the risk that nobody will care half as much this time around.

On 7/3/2022 at 5:45 PM, Nick James said:

She's been held down by the machine! 

EDIT: Seen a few clips from the women's ladder match and Shotzi should be nowhere near a wrestling ring and she's another one that's supposedly been held back and deserves more.

Liv seems to have inherited the weirdos that followed Alexa Bliss the last few years. Once Bliss got engaged (I think she might be married now) they turned their attention to Liv, and practically every post she makes is full of creeps

You got to remember as well that everyone “deserves better”. I’m not going looking for the tweet as it’s over 3 years old, but the Womens Battle Royale from WM35 had 17 women in it, all of whom “deserved better”.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
On 7/5/2022 at 2:15 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

Liv seems to have inherited the weirdos that followed Alexa Bliss the last few years. Once Bliss got engaged (I think she might be married now) they turned their attention to Liv, and practically every post she makes is full of creeps

You got to remember as well that everyone “deserves better”. I’m not going looking for the tweet as it’s over 3 years old, but the Womens Battle Royale from WM35 had 17 women in it, all of whom “deserved better”.

It's a joke, isn't it. Every division, ever, needed strong characters in the challenger role for the champion to BEAT, so it was a big deal when they finally lost. Liv was over as fuck, but they needed to use that support to create a bigger villain in Lynch, for Belair to knock off, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's how wrestling works. It's not an honour system where long-term service or building up housepoints gets you a title reign. There always needs to be Jake the Snake, Mr Perfect, Razor Ramon etc for your eventual Hogan, Warrior or Shawn Michaels to look better, and big time wrestling has been poorer since every fucker with more than two years on the main roster has been given a title reign. Liv's lucky that there are two belts and a briefcase gimmick so she's been allowed to ascend without impeding Belair. Under no illusions that the blue belt is the less important so long as its red that the real stars are after.

Having said that..... Alexa probably did deserve better. In a world of two belts where you can have two top heels, there's no excuse for her not to have stayed one of them. Though to play Devil's Advocate, she's been reliably unreliable in terms of injuries, so been considered a risk for a prolonged program on top for a while so.... (shrug)

Edited by air_raid

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

For all the robotic nature of WWE and the commentary etc, this is nice to see:

I do admire his professionalism and that he's still passionate about what he does.

From what he's said in recent times, a lot of that is down to working with Pat too.

If I no longer had to work with Corey Graves I'd start enjoying my work again

Michael Cole absolutely improves depending who he's bouncing off. JBL in 2006 was a revelation for a short time with Cole before he returned to action. The Tazz/Cole SD team also was leagues above JR/King at the time for entertainment. That and the UK special he did. He's good with a good hand, and not a phychopath bellowing his dialogue in his ear. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, air_raid said:

Does Cole still go “Oh my!” on every broadcast?

To be fair I don't think he does - his reactions with Pat McAfee have come across much more organically and he seems genuinely pumped/excited to be covering what's taking place in front of him. The pair have a great dynamic on and off screen by all accounts which really helps. 

He still occasionally busts out the 'VINTAGE!' line, but even that's more of an ironic callback now rather than a serious statement. 

Cole's great. He's arguably smarter than the business - might be another Kane type deal but that's always the sense I got - but has played it smooth for years doing what must be a very tough salesman job for Vince, then when push comes to shove he still reveals to be crazy passionate about the product anyway.

And I'll take "Oh my!" over darling Mauro's super forced "Mammmma Mia!" shite any day. 

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

And I'll take "Oh my!" over darling Mauro's super forced "Mammmma Mia!" shite any day. 

Mauro is the biggest carny in the history of commentary. He simultaneously tried to rip off Joey Styles loud exclamation catchphrase gimmick AND tried to be Mike Tenay by using the actual names of the actual moves. Unfortunately, he got those names wrong fairly often.

"Could it be...?" is the worst from Cole, actually. The last time I heard him say it, he sounded so deflated. Like you could HEAR him thinking "Yes folks, I know that you know exactly whose music it is, but for SOME REASON I have to keep up the pretence of not being 100% sure."

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Press conferences performed in character, with journalists playing along, is the dumbest thing in the history of the world. And I absolutely fucking love it.

This stuff is my jam. Proper bit of business, that. The most big time WWE has felt in forever. Everyone played their part brilliantly. Everyone spoke like a normal human being relying on their instincts rather than reciting a script. Everyone felt like a megastar. They’ve pitched it perfectly as a daft exhibition that exists for publicity.

Five stars. Best thing of the Triple H era thus far by miles and miles.

Turns out they were right to book Drew to lose and do some shit karaoke. He wasn’t the guy. Logan Paul is. That lad was born for this business. He and Pat McAfee should be head coaches in NXT. They get it better than almost anyone. Strap him up. Full David Arquette him. Do it you cowards!

• 7 months later...

Good show. Astonishingly fun crowd and nice 1-2 combo of the fun with Judgment Day et al and the serious business of Cody/Brock.

First real sign we’ve had since his injury and Vince leaving that the Cody ‘story’ isn’t an elaborate troll from Triple H, which is nice.

It looks bang on that Brock is going to murder Cody tonight to rule him out of the World Title triple threat tournament.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

So much fun. 

Carlito surprise was great, Savio's would have been better if he wasn't in a backstage segment earlier in the show. 

Bad Bunny was great.

Seth Rollins with one of the greatest carry jobs of all time.

I loved Rhea's old theme but now like her new one more.

5*'s for the crowd.

Cole saying kick instead of kick out can get in the bin.