Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

I think we have to reconsider traditional notions of bad and good wrestlers. Once you get to a certain level, There’s clearly just characters/storylines/promotions where certain people deliver.

Cody Rhodes in AEW became a disaster, yet I’d say he’s consistently been an absolute standout highlight since returning to WWE.

He’s different enough to standout, yet WWE-enough to have the freedom to succeed.

Whatever he’s done, his choices have brought him to a position where I absolutely buy him as a WWE top guy and champion.

Good for him.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think we have to reconsider traditional notions of bad and good wrestlers. Once you get to a certain level, There’s clearly just characters/storylines/promotions where certain people deliver.

Cody Rhodes in AEW became a disaster, yet I’d say he’s consistently been an absolute standout highlight since returning to WWE.

He’s different enough to standout, yet WWE-enough to have the freedom to succeed.

Whatever he’s done, his choices have brought him to a position where I absolutely buy him as a WWE top guy and champion.

Good for him.

I think that says more about the AEW roster then it does WWE currently.

4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think that says more about the AEW roster then it does WWE currently.

I don’t think so, I just think they’re two very different propositions.

The AEW roster isn’t so electric he couldn’t stand out, he was just trying to wedge his very WWE act into a non-WWE show.

Some people are so good they’ll rise to the top in both (Punk, Bryan to name two), but I think others wouldn’t do well on the wrong brand. For one thing, I don’t think Kenny Omega, The Bucks or Sammy Guevara (off the top of my head) should go anywhere near WWE, whereas MJF, Wardlow, Jungle Boy and Darby Allin would have great careers.

Cody is a top talent, capable of great wrestling matches, looks the part and can cut a promo. He’s just so achingly WWE. He’s added some tricks from his time in the indies that allow him to standout, but by and large he’s home now.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

What does it say?

Like Daz said, the roster is stacked at the top at AEW. About 6 or 7 people could be World Champion with no complaints. Cody was not one of them. WWE are empty at the top of the card. People have either been jobbed out or are just not at that level. It was a great move for Cody, almost a big fish, small pond situation as crazy as that sounds.

11 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Like Daz said, the roster is stacked at the top at AEW. About 6 or 7 people could be World Champion with no complaints. Cody was not one of them. WWE are empty at the top of the card. People have either been jobbed out or are just not at that level. It was a great move for Cody, almost a big fish, small pond situation as crazy as that sounds.

That’s not quite what I said.

WWE have big names in their own right, it’s just a case of where you fit.

I don’t think Cody wasn’t talented enough for the AEW main event, I just think he is the wrong kind of act.

Similarly, Omega is an absolute no-brainier in the AEW main event but I don’t think he’d get a sniff in the WWE. And that’s not to say he’s ‘not good enough’, he’s just different.

I actually think finding acts who ARE flexible enough to naturally headline both shows is an interesting conversation - Punk, Bryan, AJ Styles, Roman Reigns (by sheer virtue of his star power), Seth Rollins, Moxley (maybe, but he always felt slightly like WWE didn’t really know what to do with him).

MJF and Wardlow would have a real chance.

Orton maybe by virtue of his name power alone.

I don’t think there’s as many as you’d think that could work both ways.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

fW4pozg.jpg

Really Dave, you don’t say. The match with two sets of Tag Champs and the Undisputed World Champ in it is headlining over Corbin v Moss, who’d have guessed.

Actually quite enjoyed the show. 6 matches, under 3hrs, just like the good old days. 
Having said that, the amount of promos to fill time gaps then recaps before matches, I could’ve got the washing up done in some of those. Even from putting the show on to Rollins/Rhodes actually starting was nearly a quarter of an hour.

I’ve no problem with the name Wrestlemania: Backlash per se, but having the whole thing decked out in blue like an episode of Smackdown and then have the entire first half of the PPV called by the RAW announce team was odd.

”who is it? Who is it?” - well Byron, they’re wearing Rhea Ripley’s trousers, who do you think it’s going to be? You pillock

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

”who is it? Who is it?” - well Byron, they’re wearing Rhea Ripley’s trousers, who do you think it’s going to be? You pillock

This was a lovely bit of stupid wrestling business, where she was under a mask purely for the reveal of unmasking her immediately afterwards. Nothing she did in that match was aided by the fact she had a mask on.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

This was a lovely bit of stupid wrestling business, where she was under a mask purely for the reveal of unmasking her immediately afterwards. Nothing she did in that match was aided by the fact she had a mask on.

Ah, brings back fond memories of fantasy booking with my mate as a kid. Whenever he was stuck for a finish, he'd do a ref bump and one participant would be attacked by (delete as appropriate) "two/four/ten men in masks." We'd then have the exact same conversation over and over.

"Who are the men in the masks?"

"We don't know yet."

"I'm not asking as 'the fans' - I'm asking YOU, who are they?"

"I don't know yet."

Sometimes, this was resolved. Some times he'd leave it hanging there forever, and we never did find out who drove the Hummer, who moved the briefcase, why the Veetacore exploded etc.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Supremo said:

Edge vs. AJ wasn’t great but it was certainly much better than their Mania DUD

Oh, did people not like that match? I thought it was superb. This is why I don't watch wrestling anymore!

• Paid Members

So Rhea Ripley who complained that being associated with people held her back and said she wanted to go it alone 3 weeks ago has joined a faction? 

52 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

So Rhea Ripley who complained that being associated with people held her back and said she wanted to go it alone 3 weeks ago has joined a faction? 

Being held back by another female who lost, and teaming up with a highly successful guy who knows what it takes to succeed.. probably quite different.

That or she's been brainwashed or however they're playing it. I don't know.