Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Awards Moderator

Itā€™s not for me. Putting aside the skill element -Ā Ā and to me, Iā€™ve never seen this guy before and after this, I donā€™t want to, because if you have to hit like that to get a reaction youā€™re a shit worker, itā€™s theĀ risk for health damageĀ - because you canā€™t tell me thereā€™s no risk to being hit that hard in the chest. I know thereā€™s a risk to anything in the ring but that is just unnecessary. What does it add? ItĀ makes me uncomfortable and a little bit sick to see that, and more so to think people enjoy it. Itā€™s as bad as any death matchĀ as far as Iā€™m concerned.

• Paid Members

I'm not entirely sure you can tell from the picture that he's walloped him that hard, and I'm one for poo-pooing over anything that is unnecessarily dangerous or harmful in wrestling. When you club somebody across the chest or back in wrestling you hit them- but do so in a way that is safe in terms of positioning and pressure applied. The excellent timing of the picture might just be that- excellent timing at the point of impact, and that visual affect to the pec could happen with little pressure.

I could be wrong, who knows without seeing video footage, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he's scurfed the fuck out of him from looking at that picture alone. Certainly not any more than you'd see from Sheamus, for example.

If you look he's using the soft part of his inner arm and spreading the impact across the whole chest. There's no boney contact. It's a very slappy strike hence the ripples. It's actually a lovely piece of work when you consider that he made sure there was a camera there to see how much of a monster he is.

Also, we've got a whole thread dedicated to eulogising one of wrestling biggest potato merchants and we're criticising Walter for hitting hard.? It's always existed. Were Hanson, Brody, Vader, Dynamite Kid and the Steiners shit workers? I'll guarantee that they all hurt guys FAR worse than this picture.

I think the problem is, more and more I'm seeing "strong style" being a metaphor for chop contests that leave clear welts, head drops and risky convoluted driver variations. We've lost the likes of Regal, Vader, etc and their skill in making something look worse than it is.

As said above it looks very slappy, and a wide contact point. It's no tickle, but by no means does it look like an overly stiff shot beyond what was agreed between the two.

It's an art form, and I think the photo does a disservice to Walter. There's nothing there to suggest he was potatoing.Ā 

• Paid Members
On 7/11/2018 at 12:42 PM, bigfoote said:

We've lost the likes of Regal, Vader, etc and their skill in making something look worse than it is.

Come again? Leon was renowned for his stuff looking like it hurt like fuck because it hurt like fuck. Ask Bret, Shawn, Sting. Ask anyone.

If you lay it in with sort of force I would imagine a lot of shots would look like the picture it just so happens that the photographer captured the point of impact that it created a great looking picture. IfĀ you had the technology to do it with old footage, I would imagine Flair matches are packed full of shots like that

• Paid Members

There's a handful of matches at Extreme Rules that have the potential to be great. I just wish they weren't lost in the four and a half hour sea of mediocrity. I can't fathom how they've somehow made shows worse by combining the rosters.

37 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Did Vince suddenly rediscover the WWF shark cage on a trip to the warehouse? They didnā€™t use that for the better part of two decades, now Ellsworth being in one will be the fifth time theyā€™ve done in under two years

haha that has put an image in my head of Vince walking through the warehouse and just spotting random shit like "THAT, I want that Shark cage thingy in a match this Sunday DAMMIT".....but Vince we don't have anything written to fit that kind of match......."Well fucking write something DAMMIT".Ā Be like when old people go around the supermarket and put weird random shite like in the trolley. 2018 WWE.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

haha that has put an image in my head of Vince walking through the warehouse and just spotting random shit like "THAT, I want that Shark cage thingy in a match this Sunday DAMMIT".....but Vince we don't have anything written to fit that kind of match......."Well fucking write something DAMMIT".Ā Be like when old people go around the supermarket and put weird random shite like in the trolley. 2018 WWE.

And now Iā€™m imagining Vince running round the warehouse with a trolley like the final round of Supermarket Sweep.

• Paid Members

They made a toy playset (Crash Cage) which they put out with the promise on the box that a real life version***Ā would be used on an NXT Takeover.Ā 

IIRC, it was then a while before theyĀ actually used it, with Ellering in the cage for the first Dusty Classic final. Pretty sure they used the terminology ā€œcrash cageā€ for that match. They also conveniently ā€˜discoveredā€™ the footage for the legendary Lost Battle of Atlanta & put it on the Network about a week before - one of the stipulations for that match being having Paul Ellering suspended above the ring in a cage.

I guess once youā€™ve built it, might as well use it. I do like the idea they were effectively backed into a corner about doing it because of a promise on a toy box.

***The major difference being that the Crash Cage ends up plummeting the guy into the ring from a great height, which wouldnā€™t be great for the knees.

Edited by Statto
Typos.