Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Gutted for Alexa that they've gone with Asuka vs Charlotte which has no build before now and will split the crowd. Alexa has been champion for most of a year by the time Mania happens and the desire to see Asuka kick in the annoying little motormouth bitch character was such a better story than "the two best wrestlers are having a match, polite applause" for me. That quota will be filled by AJ v Nakamura, we don't need it twice. Charlotte has done nothing memorable since coming to SmackDown, I think this is nonsense. I'm probably the only one that cares, but hey ho.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Gutted for Alexa that they've gone with Asuka vs Charlotte which has no build before now and will split the crowd. Alexa has been champion for most of a year by the time Mania happens and the desire to see Asuka kick in the annoying little motormouth bitch character was such a better story than "the two best wrestlers are having a match, polite applause" for me. That quota will be filled by AJ v Nakamura, we don't need it twice. Charlotte has done nothing memorable since coming to SmackDown, I think this is nonsense. I'm probably the only one that cares, but hey ho.

No, I'm with you here. If they were leaning into turning NIa face against her then the inevitable demolition (pun intended) followed by Alexa berating Nia could have lead to an epic slap in the mush. 

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Oh of course, arguably both respective wrestlers' best feud, but you know WWE would love to say it was Orton and Cena. The 'ruthless aggression' graduates and all that.

I'd still punt for CM Punk as Cena's best opponent, wasn't overdone like the others. All their matches told stories with bits added as call backs to the ones that went before them.

Overall I thought Payback was a fun show. The women's tag match was just sort of there.

But I thought Ruby Riott looked like she could be a big star moving forwards for the first time.

I actually didn't dislike the Orton vs Roode match as some others did. Maybe should have been a few minutes shorter but I think that's a symptom of the times.

Pleased Nakamura didn't get booed out of the building in the wake of a Rusev Day backlash. Liked the two of them together actually. Hopefully a post wrestlmania feud for Nakamura. Rusev definitely dear a spot on the WM card though.

My main takeaway from the main event was just how great Sami Zayn is. His mannerisms and everything he does is so spot on. His interactions with Owens were brilliant. I'd rather they just let those two go out there at Wrestlemania rather than involving Shane. Unless it leads to DB wrestling in which case then go for it!

Edited by Wrasslin

• Paid Members

Fun show.

I echo the disappointment in the Asuka/Charlotte feud. Bliss/Jax/Asuka was my favourite part of Raw and was hoping they'd keep it going until 'Mania. I appreciate they see potential in Bliss v Jax, but Charlotte is boring on SD.

The main event was tremendous.

• Paid Members

It was a good 7/10 show. As many have said, solid with peaks.

I have nothing against the Roode vs Orton match. It was decent enough, nowt special but the conflicting chemistry is a bang on shout. I’ve still got faith that Bobby can pull back some of what he’s previously shown. The issue is, his best character is that of a heel who runs the show, but he’s not going to get that on the main show. He’s also best at going against someone very different, who can physically dominate him, but he slinks his way through for the win. It’s not working too well at present. Even just lazy things like the spot in to the RKO. What move was he planning? Even if he just chucked an arm up to look like a clothesline, but no he didn’t bother, it made it seem stale and unoriginal, a bit like how people perceive him in general at the moment (in ring).

The female tag match was pretty shit. Uninspiring. 

The female singles match was arguably the 2nd best match on the card. She’s not there yet, but Ruby is looking promising. Rough around the edges, like the slow motion dive to the outside, just to set up the catch. It was a bit meh, but I’m nitpicking as fuck. She could really be very fun to watch. Happy she got this outing against Charlotte. I love Charlotte. She’s still fucking brilliant.

Rusev vs Naka was a good solid bout. I really enjoyed it actually, shame it means Rusev won’t be prominent, but it’s not like he’s done anything of note recently. That’s the real shame.

The tag match was another decent outing, not surprising, good run in at the end, looked strong.

The main event was ace. Happy with everyone’s involvement. It was always going to be spotty, but there was some really decent story telling and no stalling. Really good match.

Happy I watched it.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, air_raid said:

Gutted for Alexa that they've gone with Asuka vs Charlotte which has no build before now and will split the crowd. Alexa has been champion for most of a year by the time Mania happens and the desire to see Asuka kick in the annoying little motormouth bitch character was such a better story than "the two best wrestlers are having a match, polite applause" for me.

I'm chuffed to be honest. There are now two women's title matches that I'm really looking forward to watching rather than just one.

WrestleMania is where you throw on your dream matches and the way I see it there is currently just one women's dream match that can happen today- Charlotte VS Asuka. That's your big match right there and I want to see it on the big stage rather than spunked away on No Mercy like they did with another couple of dream matches. Sure, it would've been better if Charlotte was heel (there is still time...) and even better if her PPV streak was still intact, but all the same I'm looking forward to it more than any other potential Asuka match at Mania.

As for Alexa, I'm much happier to see her against Nia. That feud has more history and more of a build than Asuka. Asuka VS Bliss would be a formality for a start- the crowd expecting Asuka to kick her head in and cruise to the title. The match with Nia however- far more emotional investment as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully, with her inevitable turn done right, the crowd will be urging for Alexa to get her comeuppance from Nia. It's a well-told story. Asuka/Alexa, not so much. Plus I already saw the match a month or so ago. I think they've made the right call here.

Where they are falling short at the moment however is the Sasha/Bayley feud. It's taken far too long to reach boiling point, and we're still not there yet. We're talking what, a year? The length isn't necessarily a bad thing, but this isn't a well worked slow build- it's a stuttering angle with so many starts and stops that you often wondered whether they'd simply given up on turning one of them. Surely the plan is still to turn Sasha (who is far better suited to playing heel imo), but they've really made Bayley out to be a bit of a prick lately. If they are turning Sasha, then it's shit booking lately to get there. If Bayley is turning, then beyond the initial shock factor I can't see that working.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

Someone mentioned on twitter last night that Charlotte hasn’t lost a singles match in 5 months. Maybe wwe will mention her current streak. Obviously it doesn’t compare to Asuka’s, but it’s something else Charlotte is defending as well as the title.  

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, jonnybgoode82 said:

Nia to fluff it against Alexa, destroy her after the bell and Carmella cashes in omnibus Alexa 

This actually makes sense to redress the balance if Asuka is going to be on SmackDown.

I'm still fuming it's not Alexa v Asuka. If Asuka is top babyface in their eyes, I think Alexa is the best heel, so they should be fighting each other at the top of the womens part of the card. That's Mania. Charlotte is playing Miz to Alexa's CM Punk in my heart. Except it's shitter because Charlotte isn't a heel. If they wanted to do a pointless babyface v babyface they should have used Naomi or Becky who at least flourished (for a bit) as SmackDown exclusive babyface women, both of whom have been treated as afterthoughts since Naomi lost the belt to (zzz) Nattie.

I guess they think Asuka v Charlotte is the top match they can do at the moment. It actually feels like there’s some long-term planning in the women’s division for a change. 

Asuka wins the SD belt at Mania. 

Whatever happens on the RAW side I think that Charlotte ends up there in the draft, they’ve teased enough with Charlotte/Alexa, we’ve not had a proper Charlotte/Nia feud and then there’s the Ronda factor. 

It may actually be a good good time to give Carmella a run on the RAW side as the bigger names are all tied up and don’t really need the title. She can Honky Tonk her way around for a few months before someone beats her.

On the SD side, I’m seeing Asuka work her way through the roster for the year and Ronda wins the 2019 Rumble to get to that showdown. 

Presuming they break up these god-awful stables they’ve got in the draft too and reboot for the proposed tag belts, which seem tailor-made for Alexa and Mickie. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jonnybgoode82 said:

Presuming they break up these god-awful stables they’ve got in the draft too and reboot for the proposed tag belts, which seem tailor-made for Alexa and Mickie. 

I'd have thought the god-awful stables would be an ideal building block for the tag belts. The two(!) singles divisions don't strike me as having the depth for an Alexa to go missing in tags too often. I'd have thought a tag division would be custom-made for characters that aren't defined enough to make a serious singles impact yet. Sonya & Mandy, Morgan & Logan, a called-up Billie & Peyton.

20 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Someone mentioned on twitter last night that Charlotte hasn’t lost a singles match in 5 months. Maybe wwe will mention her current streak. Obviously it doesn’t compare to Asuka’s, but it’s something else Charlotte is defending as well as the title.  

Is she still undefeated on ppvs ? That was mentioned a while back