Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

This company doesn’t deserve Ronda Rousey. Not only did she come in as one of the biggest stars they’ve ever signed, and not only was she willing to sign long-term to an almost full-time schedule, but she’s proven herself to be an absolute freak in terms of how quickly she’s picked it up and how good she already is. Nia Jax has wrestled pretty much every woman on the roster and yet her best match ever was against Ronda, in Ronda’s first ever singles match. Ronda’s facials, her selling, her comebacks, her cool judo throws; she isn’t just the rookie of the year, she’s the rookie of all time. 

It’s so frustrating that Ronda is this good, yet they’re clueless as to what to do with her. Let’s just hope that this Alexa Bliss thing can be used as a hard reset.

They’re best just pretending all that shit between Wrestlemania and Money in the Bank never even happened. Start afresh and book Ronda and Alexa in a simple, coherent storyline. If nothing else, at least Alexa can play a clearly defined heel, rather than this tweener bollocks we’ve seen from Nia. Booked correctly, the sky is the limit for Ronda. It’s unbelievable how much of a natural she is at this. I bet even Kurt Angle and Matt Riddle shake their heads in disbelief.

Explaining that being in a Bear Hug was good because it allowed you to rest and catch your thoughts? The Coach might be the worst commentator of all time.

The reaction to Jinder vs. Roman wasn’t even funny. It’s just sad at this point.

Easily the best match Nakamura and AJ have had in WWE. Poor Nakamura can never catch a win though, can he?

Seth Rollins can work miracles at the moment. Never thought I’d want to see him rematched with Elias, but that match was so much fun I’d love to see them have some more.

Nice to have Ellsworth back. Never understood why they fired him in the first place. He’s great. Carmella’s Title reign still sucks though.

It’s starting to feel like Daniel Bryan has signed a new deal, the way he’s suddenly being booked like Stone Cold. This match with Cass was a million times better than their last one.

I want them to make a comedically large briefcase for Strowman. Make it at least ten times the normal size. Hopefully he just announces he wants Lesnar at Summerslam and we can forget the last year ever happened. 

• Paid Members

Massively impressed with Ronda. Her facials are just amazing and it's rude how natural she looks this early on. The Alexa stuff was very welcomed instead of the predicted Natty turn we all thought we'd get. Sky's the limit with Rousey. Her chasing Alexa for the belt will be all kinds of fun. Alexa can do the lions share on the mic and Rousey just gets to shine in ring. 

Only flicked through the rest but it seemed decent on the whole. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Awards Moderator

Enjoyed the men’s MITB match a lot - a few people were surplus to requirements but Joe, Strowman and Rusev all stood out and shone. They could build the company around Joe, Strowman and Rusev and I’d be quite happy. 

Fingers crossed Braun doesn’t get beaten in 10 minutes with a single F5 again.

Styles and Nakamura had their best match to date, which was nice to see. Ronda vs Nia was a lot better than I’d feared beforehand. Still think there was too much of Nia on the attack but a lot of that is just me thinking Rousey should be killing everyone in a couple of minutes.

Carmella shouldn’t be beating Asuka under any circumstances, can’t get behind that at all. Roman and Jinder might have had a decent match but it’s impossible to tell with that crowd reaction! I sort of skimmed the rest, but the show overall was fine.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I watched the show with my finger on the 'forward 30 seconds button' and managed to squeeze most of what I wanted to see into a 2 hour sitting before work. Seems like a decent show!

I regret skipping through Bryan/Cass, as from what I saw it looked great. Well, great as in Bryan carrying the lumbering oaf, but it looked crisp with the crowd solidly behind DB. Is it worth watching the whole match or did it just seem good as I was watching in highlight form?

Both ladder matches were solid, though the winners perplexed me. Both Alexa and Braun are over enough to warrant not having the case. Braun's win is especially weird considering he's a big bastard who gets what he wants anyway. I don't watch the product week-to-week though so there's only so much apprehension I'm entitled to.

Ronda is fantastic! An absolute blessing to the division. These MMA folk sure grasp onto pro wrestling in rapid fashion. Angle, Brock, Riddle and to some extent Tom Lawler, now Ronda. I find it really hard to get behind people with awful opinions behind the scenes (Ronda is a Sandy Hook truther...) but something about her lets me ignore all that. The same can't be said for Flip Gordon though...

AJ/Shinsuke was another one for the highlights format as I can't stand 'Last Man Standing' matches at the best of times. I've been burnt before by this stipulation under delivering, and frankly, Jericho/HHH topped the formula way back in 2000 and it hasn't been beaten since. But what I saw looked good and I probably enjoyed it a lot more as I was skipping through those elongated counts. The AJ/Shinsuke WWE feud has been terribly disappointing for the most part. Shinsky should've turned heel before the Wrestle Mania match.

All the other matches I watched with the ScotsWizard technique; entrances+the finish. Highly recommended! 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Both ladder matches were solid, though the winners perplexed me. Both Alexa and Braun are over enough to warrant not having the case. Braun's win is especially weird considering he's a big bastard who gets what he wants anyway.

Alexa winning was to facilitate a finish to the babyface v babyface title match that avoided either having to get beaten.

Braun's story, surely, is going to be all about calling his shot in advance so he beats Lesnar straight up without chicanery to look the hardest bastard imaginable. "I don't need to attack anyone from behind" etc.

Shit, I just realized they'll probably have him make some awful Romanesque worked shoot comment about "at least if I call it in advance, I know he's going to turn up" won't they.

It was a good show, certainly more exciting than a lot of PPVs these days. Agree that Alexa and Braun don't necessarily need the MITB cases, but the former was obviously to get around the Nia v Ronda match and worked well and Braun needs to keep his momentum going.

Enjoyed both the MITB matches, Rousey showed again that she just gets this and Styles/Nakamura's Last Man Standing match was the best match they've had yet too.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Alexa winning was to facilitate a finish to the babyface v babyface title match that avoided either having to get beaten.

Braun's story, surely, is going to be all about calling his shot in advance so he beats Lesnar straight up without chicanery to look the hardest bastard imaginable. "I don't need to attack anyone from behind" etc.

Shit, I just realized they'll probably have him make some awful Romanesque worked shoot comment about "at least if I call it in advance, I know he's going to turn up" won't they.

I like to think that the briefcase is best served to lads and lasses who need that extra kick up the card into being a main eventer, or at least make them look like a more credible threat to the champion. Braun and Alexa are all ready established enough to be inserted into a championship program whenever they want, hence why I feel like it was a bit of missed opportunity to give someone else the rub. 

Alexa could've easily interfered in the Ronda/Nia match to cause the DQ and set up her programs with either woman without the need of a briefcase cash-in. Sasha could've done with the case to help cement a heel turn and/or  heat her back up after a lukewarm year so far. And I still feel they could have Braun challenge Brock again without the need of the case. He's over like rover and can do no wrong.

Edited by Accident Prone

Sometimes, it just needs an obvious winner. I see no point of anybody else in that match winning the briefcase apart from Strowman.

Braun should be there next big star, he should be winning matches like the GRR and the MITB match last night.

It also sets up a nice simple story, tonight Braun should come out, give his briefcase to Angle and cut a short promo saying something along the likes of, "Brock Lesnar you have two months to get ready, me and you at Summerslam"

Imagine having someone like Kofi/Miz/Rusev winning it? It would be like going back to the days of Jack Swagger in 2010.

12 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Alexa could've easily interfered in the Ronda/Nia match to cause the DQ and set up her programs with either woman without the need of a briefcase cash-in. 

But why would she interfere? The Briefcase gave her the reason to do so

I liked both winners, not every year has to go to an up and coming star or someone who is about to be pushed, in some cases that hinders there progress more then enhances it, every now and then its perfectly acceptable to give it to an established star to cement him at the top.

Was a very good PPV I thought, Bryan and Cass match was 10 x better then the Backlash effort, Ronda continued to show that when she steps in between the ropes she just gets it, Rollins continued his streak of belters and Nakamura/Styles had the best match of there series so far even if Nakamura losing again might not of been the best outcome.

Actually looking forward to seeing what Raw delivers tonight for the 1st time since the night after Mania.     

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

But why would she interfere? The Briefcase gave her the reason to do so

I liked both winners, not every year has to go to an up and coming star or someone who is about to be pushed, in some cases that hinders there progress more then enhances it, every now and then its perfectly acceptable to give it to an established star to cement him at the top. 

It's just what I prefer the case to be; a tool to give those upper carders an extra kick up the arse. Give them to sneaky heels who'll lurk around whenever the cha,p is in danger or those underdog white-meat babyfaces who'll announce their cash-in way in advance. It's a much better use of the gimmick than just handing it to those who are all ready incredibly over. 

And Alexa's interference could be plucked from anything; how she feels cheated by Ronda getting a championship match so quick into her short career, how she wants to be the one who dethrones Nia (considering it was Nia who beat her for the title at WM) or she could even play the "I was just saving Nia, my best friend, from defeat!" angle.

But, as I stated with my original post, I don't watch RAW or Smackdown, so the story line implications don't really apply to a viewer such as myself. If people are cool with the way it went down, then fair enough, they're probably putting in the effort during the week.

Quite enjoyed MITB. Maybe it helps not having watched much of the TV shows in the run up to this, it makes the builds and promo videos more interesting for me on a first viewing than having seen to 10,000 times before.

Happy with Alexa winning, it made sense in the long run. She gets her belt back, she will probably face Nia in a rematch where Ronda interferes and goes crazy on both Nia & Alexa meaning she keeps the belt, Ronda can beat Nia Jax next month at Extreme Rules and then Ronda can face Alexa at Summerslam.

Glad Braun won as well. As mentioned you don't always need a underdog to win this match, Braun will keep it simple and go straight after Brock. Also means a years break from having the case carried around, freshens things up slightly.