Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

They ideally need to phase Kurt out as Raw GM because he seems to just be a shell of his former self. He doesnt look well either, he could be messing up promos because they are overly scripted or he's forgetting them. I do expect them to go Stephanie/Hunter vs Ronda/Kurt for Mania. Isn't Kurt heavily rumoured to have CTE, if so, no Dr should clear him to wrestle. 

• Paid Members

I think overly scripted is probably the reason - Foley said that being an authority figure was so much harder when it came to promos, because you weren't just having to remember a few bullet points to get your match over, you had to articulate a story that impacted on everyone else involved, so had to make sure you got it absolutely right.

Given how banged up Angle actually is, it would be a miracle for him not to have ended up with CTE, but at the same time, I doubt WWE are daft enough to clear him to compete if that were the case - with ongoing lawsuits around exactly that issue, they'd be mad to potentially open themselves up to more criticism.

Thats true, but Kurt somehow got cleared for the Survivor Series?. It's not nice to see him in that state where he can barely string two sentences together. It looked like he was trying to remember his lines at EC as he was muttering to himself. Considering the head trauma Mick Foley has suffered he's still surprisingly articulate to a degree, he also stumbled over his words. So very good point about the overly scripted promos.

Ideally you need a GM who is believable as an authority figure, who's a great talker and can put storylines and characters over. Maybe somebody like EC3 who can mix it up in the ring too. It's unfair on Kurt to still be in that position because it's taking a toll on him. I didn't notice the shaking but its most likely nerves but I wouldnt rule out a tremor. 

• Paid Members

Honestly, I think Dario Cueto in Lucha Underground showed that wrestling has been daft to rely on ex-wrestlers to play authority figures all the time. Get a bloke who can actually act, rather than a knackered old wrestler.

Saying that, actors are unionised, so WWE isn't going to be doing that any time soon.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Honestly, I think Dario Cueto in Lucha Underground showed that wrestling has been daft to rely on ex-wrestlers to play authority figures all the time. Get a bloke who can actually act, rather than a knackered old wrestler.

Saying that, actors are unionised, so WWE isn't going to be doing that any time soon.

Can't see them doing it anyway. They have no stars so it's a cheap way to add star power to the show. I'd love to know what normal people think of it. I remember when Steve Austin was the "Sheriff". I thought that was dreadful but some less jaded fans I knew thought it was great. Me, if Steve Austin isn't wrestling, I'm not interested. Mind you, after watching Foley and Angle as authority figures these days, you have to say with hindsight that Austin was brilliant.

• Paid Members

I thought Commissioner Foley way back in the 2000s was great, but when he was Raw GM it was pretty painful at times.

• Paid Members

Commissioner Foley was awesome. I was hoping for more of the same when he got made RAW GM, but it's like they have a generic authority figure script for whoever ends up in the role - absolutely nothing about Foley as GM relied on the fact that it was Mick Foley, nor does anything Kurt Angle does hinge on him being Kurt Angle.

Mick Foley as Commissioner worked because it was goofy fun Mick Foley in a "corporate" role that, on paper, he was comically unsuited for. William Regal as Commissioner worked because everything about how he played that part was informed by his character. Same for Sherriff Austin - it was dreadful, but at least it was Stone Cold Steve Austin, not just Steve Austin in a shirt and tie interrupting promos to set up a tag team match.

I’ve got a suspicion that the match quality tonight could be quite high, but they’re definitely just looking to get this show out of the way so the ‘Mania build can start in earnest.

Doubt there’ll be any big moments tonight, just an AJ clean win and maybe a stare down with Nakamura.

• Paid Members

Fantastic main event. Everyone looked great, even Baron Corbin.

The longer this John Cena storyline goes on, the more I think it was a mistake for them to tip their hand the other week and mention The Undertaker. Once they hinted at that match everyone knew that was where it was heading. I'm sure it'll still be awesome tomorrow night when Cena's promo gets interrupted by the gong, but however good it is, I think it would've been even better without the hints.

How many triple threat matches are we getting at Wrestlemania? IC Title match, US Title match, Smackdown Tag Title match. Maybe even Sami vs. Kevin vs. Shane? Jesus.

Rusev should have a featured Wrestlemania feud. It's criminal how underrated he is.

Let's just admit it. Bobby Roode is shit, isn't he? Without the music, he'd be opening match fodder. Was he any good in TNA? Or has he always been this painfully dull?

Edited by Supremo

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Let's just admit it. Bobby Roode is shit, isn't he? Without the music, he'd be opening match fodder. Was he any good in TNA? Or has he always been this painfully dull?

I've always foumd him to be a solid hand, and really it's his character that excelled. Particularly in NXT. Currently his character is so bland and uninspired, I'm not surprised he's gone down in people's estimation. 

That main event was great. A little bit ‘do your spot then roll away you prick’, but great. There were nice storylines sprinkled throughout.

The bump through the table didn’t look overly fun.

I enjoyed Nakamura/Rusev. I thought Uso’s/New Day was getting great until the run-in, but the bludgeoning was brutal enough to make up for it.

Randy Orton can be fantastic. Bobby Roode can be alright. Together? Nah mate. You don’t pair brown rice with brown bread. Both those boys need to work with someone with some flavour.

I genuinely can’t fathom how dull the US title triple threat is going to be. That needs to add Rusev, Corbin and Ziggler in a hurry. And a ladder. Just to give me the chance to stay awake.