Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

A fun show, I thought. I'm not a huge fan of chamber matches but the main event was entertaining. Braun Strowman was magnificent. Cena again made to feel like a nobody, like Kofi Kingston-level chamber participant. Despite dodgy line delivery I thought Kurt Angle was hilarious in the Ronda segment. Good stuff. The rest was forgettable.

EDIT: Cena was just on Raw Talk after the show being all down about possibly not contributing at Mania. Then he said "I may have a plan, it doesn't fall within the usual etiquette of what we do around here, but..." He said he'd figure it out and walked off.

Edited by Mr.Showtime

• Paid Members

Is it worth giving a watch when I get in from work this afternoon? With them going back to dual brand PPVs I wonder whether we'll get the chamber book-ending the show next year so we can have a moment like the year Edge walked in as one brand's champion and walked out as another's. That was a brilliant year. Taking out Rey Mysterio in the entrance way and just climbing into a pod.

• Paid Members

If there was any doubt that Ronda needs to be paired with someone like Heyman to do her promos, this was the undeniable example. Jesus Christ that was awkward at the start. There's no doubt Ronda has a great presence and from the training footage they've shown she'll likely have no trouble doing the physical stuff, but watching her cut that smiley babyface promo was super uncomfortable to watch. It was a trainwreck for a good few minutes there. Thankfully, it got good when she shut up and turned into a killer, but this felt exactly like when they brought Brock back in 2012 and had him doing monologues for a couple of weeks, before someone realised he was shit at it and they needed to call Heyman.

Edited by Supremo

46 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Is it worth giving a watch when I get in from work this afternoon? With them going back to dual brand PPVs I wonder whether we'll get the chamber book-ending the show next year so we can have a moment like the year Edge walked in as one brand's champion and walked out as another's. That was a brilliant year. Taking out Rey Mysterio in the entrance way and just climbing into a pod.

It was Kofi he took out, I remember because him and Rey had a great finishing stretch in that chamber.

Women's chamber was good. Men's was alright, shame it's the inevitable result for The Unbreakable Plan that Meltzer spoiled literally the day after Mania. Worrying thing is the crowd hardly bothered to even boo Roman, though I'm sure they will at Mania. Bit underwhelmed cos I watched some pretty cracking chambers in the build up. I wouldn't have believed it if you'd told me but Barrett and McIntyre looked superb in the 2011 one. I liked last year's chamber plenty but this time around I was a bit bothered by the new chamber look - it's the outside, doesn't look like it'd hurt that much now they've got rid of the grates. I'm sure it's loads safer and that's fine but takes away a bit from buying it as this brutal structure. But it was fine, Braun of course looked good, Rollins too I thought. Balor looked a bloody fool not wearing his fancy dress costume that he's unbeaten in, this match is apparently not big enough for it, but he was totally willing to dress like a wasp for a December PPV in that interminable Wyatt feud.

Rousey can fuck off, though Angle actually being funny in this run was much appreciated and a pleasant surprise.

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

I can't decide if that beatdown at the end is leading to a Triple Threat match, or they're just trolling us at this point. If you insist on making Roman the guy, then just do it. Give him all the wins, book him to beat Brock at Mania in a singles match, give him a year long title run, whatever. Just get on with it. It's proper mental that they've got this unwavering plan, yet simultaneously they're too scared to actually do it properly, feeling the need to keep him going 50/50 with everyone and constantly left laying.

• Paid Members

I also thought the reveal from Kurt Angle about Hunter and Steph wanting revenge on Ronda was really poorly done. The script seemed to call for Kurt to start acting shifty in order to stop Ronda from signing, but he appeared to completely miss his cue. It was super weird when Ronda had to stop herself and ask, “do you have something to say?” to a man who was literally standing still and not doing or saying anything.

It’s a cool story, Ronda comes in thinking she’s fulfilling an innocent childhood dream, only for it to be revealed that Hunter and Steph secretly hate her, so she murders them, but the reveal was proper rubbish.

The way they wank themselves silly over selfies and Twitter and all that jazz, they should have just had someone, “leak,” a video of Hunter and Steph discussing their dastardly plans, only for Kurt to put it on the big screen. They could have even made it a bit fun by genuinely putting it out on Twitter an hour or so before the segment. Get a random to Tweet it rather than an official account to make it feel more real and to see who would and wouldn’t catch on. I think that could’ve created a bit of a viral buzz, similar to what Jericho did to kickstart his angle with Omega. Anything’s got to be better than a baffled, mumbling Kurt Angle falling over his words.

Edited by Supremo

I’m not going to say I didn’t enjoy the Chamber matches (I did. They were fun.), but they were both horrifically booked. Just terrible all around from the writers/producers standpoint. What makes it more tragic is that it’s a month after they showed they knew what they were doing by booking two near-perfect Rumbles on the same night.

I think with any match, before you can book it you need to boil it down to its essence so you know what you should do and what you should definitely avoid. With the women’s match that essence seems to be ‘these women are equals, and can compete on the same playing field as the men have for years’. That’s it. Stay true to that, and you can’t go far wrong. The constant teasing, then, of big spots that they didn’t pay off was baffling, at best, and at worst actually felt like sabotage.

“Mickey’s gone up top... what’s she going to do? ...an inexplicable Lou Thesz press, obviously”

“Woah, LOOK! Alexa Bliss has climbed the cell and WAIT...WOAH x2...Bayley and Sasha Banks are following... what are they going to do? ...climb down, mate.”

”now here’s the pay off...here we go... Alexa and Sasha one-on-one... Sasha’s on the outside, Alexa’s on the pod... TWISTED BLISS... OH MY GOD, SHE MUST BE DEAA... nah, rolled through mate. They’re both fine....”

”NO. SHUT UP. WAIT! Sasha’s going to the top. This is it. Oh my Jesus, this is... oh, Alexa’s pulled her back down and... yep. The match is over.”

But, at least the central logic in terms of wins and losses was sound. The distillation of the main event should have been ‘everyone likes Braun the conquerer,  no one likes Reigns particularly... lets not reinforce that with how we book Romans win’. Instead, Braun literally had all the cool spots, kicked out of all the cool moves and eliminated everybody. Roman couldn’t have seemed like a bigger, sneakier cunt by just swooping in and stealing the win. The fans weren’t even really booing Roman until the finish, where it felt like they were just bored at the mundanaity of it all. Trying to put the heat back on Braun after that was like trying to reheat your dinner after you’ve already vomited it up. Leave it. It’s done.

Independently, they weren’t bad matches. They just seemed to be booked in spite of themselves. They’ve done such a bad job with Roman/Lesnar that you almost think they have to change course, else it’s going to be fucking embarrassing. Either that, or they’ll draft in a special referee that everyone likes to try and spare their blushes.

The Ronda thing was kind of fun. It started off terribly, but heated up. The problem they’ve still got is that she’s so psychologically unsuited to being a WWE superstar it’s almost funny. She’s so prone to emotion that I can’t see her ever being able to hold a character that isn’t allowed to tap into whatever she’s feeling at that very moment. She can cry once at a good reaction before turning into a killer, but she really can’t do that again. Otherwise, they’re going to have to book her as some Bayley-cum-Lesnar type character, just to justify her massive moodswings when a friendly crowd cracks her killer facade.

Another issue is, her killer face/act is so legit I have no interest in seeing her throw down with Naomi or whoever. The real money is in the face-to-face deals with Triple H, like last night, and folks like that. She’s almost too big and too legit for the women’s division.

They were all moans, I know, but I did enjoy the show in spite of that...

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

So they are going for Rowdy/Angle vs Steph/HHH huh? I didn't hate her promo, ive seen worse, but I always love Ronda's smiley pretty girl turn to arse kicker look. Great slap by Steph as well.

As for the rest of the show, both Chamber matches were alright, surprised they jobbed Cena like that. But I can't say we need split brand PPV's any more. I just don't think the Roster's are strong enough

5 minutes ago, Joey Joe Joe said:

So they are going for Rowdy/Angle vs Steph/HHH huh? I didn't hate her promo, ive seen worse, but I always love Ronda's smiley pretty girl turn to arse kicker look. Great slap by Steph as well.

As for the rest of the show, both Chamber matches were alright, surprised they jobbed Cena like that. But I can't say we need split brand PPV's any more. I just don't think the Roster's are strong enough

Well, have they got a surprise for you..

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Mr.Showtime said:

EDIT: Cena was just on Raw Talk after the show being all down about possibly not contributing at Mania. Then he said "I may have a plan, it doesn't fall within the usual etiquette of what we do around here, but..." He said he'd figure it out and walked off.

Given WWE's faith in him to be able to promote anything, I'd venture a guess they might run an angle where he tries to get onto the Mania card via NXT or something.

I thought the Ronda segment was rubbish from start to finish. Ronda was out of her depth, Kurt was an embarrassment, Triple H's table bump was shite and Stephanie McMahon can just that fuck off.

Well at least now I know for certain that the Ronda match is going to be a piss break.

Rest of the show was alright. If ultimately pointless in the game scheme of things.

Just now, The King Of Swing said:

Well at least now I know for certain that the Ronda match is going to be a piss break.

I disagree. Sure, it wasn't the best segment, but the footage of her training looked liked she was getting IT, and I suspect the match to be decent. Look back at similar matches like this from Wrestlemania (Mayweather, Snookie etc) and they were far from the worst matches on the card. Well, apart from LT/Bigelow

Coming out of this show, surely it's going to be HHH & Steph v Rousey & Strowman. Obviously, the plan prevailed as we all knew it would, but giving Strowman such a showing must put him in a decent Mania match. It can tie back to his interactions with HHH at Survivor Series and you can have Kurt saying to Steph "I fired him! You're the daft lass that hired him back, it's your own fault".

The Rousey segment was OK, I'm willing to cut her some slack on her as is new to it. Obviously she's done press conferences in her MMA career, but in those she got to be a real person and not have to recite a script. Steph with The Immortal Deathslap and all up in her face straight after Ronda has manhandled her husband though? Come off it

The rest of the show was alright apart from Wyatt/Hardy. They were lucky that their match fell on Rusev Day, otherwise the only reaction would have been for the guy who (rightly) got his beachball taken off him.