Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I know what you mean about Sonya, but can't help thinking she's going to end up being Dan Severn now to Ronda Rousey's Ken Shamrock?

Yeah that was my thought, plus they have Shayna too, who has far more charisma and presence than Deville. She gave a good showing in the Chamber though. She's the first openly gay woman in WWE, right? They might exploit that for a bit of PR.

• Paid Members

That was my thought on Sonya Deville - what's her USP now that they have Ronda Rousey, and to a lesser extent Shayna Baszler? She's doing a female MMA fighter gimmick when they have two much more notable female MMA fighters - including the female MMA fighter, to most casual fans - under contract.

The benefit for Sonya, I guess, is that she's there full-time, and she's a lot younger than Shayna, so there might be time for him to grow into a different character altogether. I'm a fan of her "put your hair up and square up" catchphrase when it's not overly forced into promos, too.

As for Elimination Chamber...completely forgettable. By Summerslam, I'll probably struggle to tell you a single thing that happened on this show.

Women's Chamber was fine, but nothing special. I was constantly distracted by how awful and blocky the Chamber looks now, it looks like an oversized action figure playset. Alexa's post-match promo was the highlight - I was in the process of getting pissed off that a heel was doing a "your dreams can come true" promo, and she turned it around beautifully.

Tag Title match was a RAW midcard affair. No heat, no interest. Only thing I remember from it was that I was getting annoyed that the colour scheme of Apollo's trunks was too close to The Bar's.

Asuka vs. Nia Jax was probably the match of the night. Great hype video for it, fun match, easily Nia's best to date, and Asuka was as convincingly threatened as she's going to be at this point.

Matt/Bray never really got started. The faffing about with Matt "disappearing" and singing the "Obsolete" song was the closest thing to development we've seen for that gimmick, but I just watched it thinking that, if I'd been watching with someone who had never seen any of the Broken stuff in TNA, I'd struggle to explain why it was supposed to be any good. It felt a bit embarrassing. Bray Wyatt being spooked by someone else's mind games would be a good bit of character progression if it was ever going to go anywhere, but we all know he'll be doing the same shit this time next year.

Main event was fine. Never really got invested, never really did anything for me. Such a wasted opportunity for Strowman in there - a guy who's built his whole schtick around shows of strength, wrecking inanimate objects, and destroying everything in his path, and they don't even do a "throw a guy through the pod" spot with him? When I saw how they had the big slide-y door on the Chamber now, I thought we were going to see Braun force that open after getting eliminated, or something, but he more or less worked a straight match. Finish is what it was. I don't think anyone in the match really gained anything by the end of it.

The Rousey angle was painful. Stephanie playing Vince is cringeworthy. Ronda being nervous on the mic was fine, as it came across as genuine and believable, but Kurt Angle was just painful to watch. It's probably to do with him struggling with scripted promos, but this time around he hasn't had an ounce of the charisma that he used to. I don't know if it was him trying to act like he was holding back or what, but there were times when it looked like he was visibly shaking. Also, he was wearing a plain T-shirt with a full suit, which is about as bad as Triple H's brown shoes/charcoal suit look. Why can't wrestlers dress themselves?

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Only thing I remember from it was that I was getting annoyed that the colour scheme of Apollo's trunks was too close to The Bar's.

Oh man, this bugs me no end. So lazy from performers, also surely the agents should have a responsibility to sort this problem out. I've seen a load of instances over the past year (mostly everyone wearing that fucking over-done red and black combo) where I just feel like screaming 'WEAR DIFFERENT COLOURS' at the telly.

6 minutes ago, AshC said:

For a brief moment, when Bray was looking under the ring, I thought they were going to go under it into some kind of bizarre otherworld, using the logic of the 'Little People's Court' segment that DX did. Anyway, they didn't.

Shame, that would have been much better than what we got.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, AshC said:

For a brief moment, when Bray was looking under the ring, I thought they were going to go under it into some kind of bizarre otherworld, using the logic of the 'Little People's Court' segment that DX did. Anyway, they didn't.

Mania?

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Yeah that was my thought, plus they have Shayna too, who has far more charisma and presence than Deville.

Maybe I've got a weird thing for Sonya, but I think we have to agree to disagree on this one. I enjoy Baszler but I still think she's a bit awkward, Sonya strikes me as much nearer the finished article. I really like watching her, from entrance to jawing to kicking a babyface really hard.

• Paid Members

I couldn’t disagree more. Even this early into her career, Shayna absolutely blows Sonya away. It’s not even close. Sonya is like a shit, phoney version of Shayna. Her act reeks of her playing a character, whereas Shayna is completely believable as the dickhead hard case. Honestly, Sonya must watch NXT these days and shit her pants. Her tribute act has been completely exposed by the real article showing up.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I think in terms of working, you're absolutely right air raid. Shayna IS awkward as fuck (which I've oddly grown to like) and Deville is far more likely to work the style WWE want/need. I think in order for her to stand out though she might need to do something different rather than the just the MMA gimmick.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, air_raid said:

Maybe I've got a weird thing for Sonya, but I think we have to agree to disagree on this one. I enjoy Baszler but I still think she's a bit awkward, Sonya strikes me as much nearer the finished article. I really like watching her, from entrance to jawing to kicking a babyface really hard.

That's most likely due to her being a bit of a stunner. Way too much make up though. There are times however when she looks a little lost in there. Although I thought she was very good in the Chamber match.

Supremo and Punkstep make valid points. Especially in regards to Deville more likely being able to work the WWE style. More marketable look too. Not sure if she can become a star though. She does lack that intangible spark.

Edited by BigJag

I haven't got around to watching EC yet and was staying out of here to remain as spoiler free as possible. This morning I figured I wasn't gonna watch it and came in here hoping for pages of review and discussion to kill half an hour. Well. What little comment there has been tells me so much more!!

If you've got some spare time it is worth watching. I think the lack of discussion is partly down to results going threat that people expected them to, if they had deviated from 'the plan' I imagine there would have been alot discussion. But the show itself is a  decent watch for the most part, just skip Wyatt v Hardy