Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Randy Orton can be fantastic. Bobby Roode can be alright. Together? Nah mate. You don’t pair brown rice with brown bread. Both those boys need to work with someone with some flavour.

I genuinely can’t fathom how dull the US title triple threat is going to be. That needs to add Rusev, Corbin and Ziggler in a hurry. And a ladder. Just to give me the chance to stay awake.

It really started slowly and I feared an absolute snooze-fest, which the 'Byron Saxton' chants from the crowd testify. However, I feel it did pick up and the crowd got into it more, with a nice last few minutes to finish it off. Much better than expected.

But yeah, that triple threat can fuck right off, especially as pointed out there are already a couple of triple threats slated for Mania, and that's not taking into account the possibility of Braun being added to the Universal title match. As you say, this seems the best opportunity to bust out the inevitable ladder- especially with those names you listed currently without a match. Hell, I would even prefer that Owens and Zayn are also added, rather than seeing another match of theirs so soon. They don't have enough time to have the crowd invested in a face out of those two before Mania anyway, and I really don't want to see Shane McMahon in a three-way with them.

I haven't been keeping up to date what has been happening on Smackdown since the Rumble, but I saw Fastlane and thought it was a good show despite it have a rather dull card on paper. Nothing shocking happened, but it was just a solid three hours of wrestling with a corker of a main event.

Everything bar the main event was decent. Congratulations to Roode and Orton for not boring me to sleep. I was really dreading that one. 

The main event was brilliant.Like most things AJ touches. I was expecting a Styles win, but there was plenty of moments were I was convinced other wise. Everyone looked good. Even Corbin looked like a monster during his brief moment to shine.

• Paid Members

They're almost going down the Wrestlemania 2000 card with all the multiman matches that have been announced and could still be announced for next month. 

Fastlane was a solid enough show. Only match that wasn’t any good was Becky and Naomi vs Carmella and Nattie.

Ruby Riott looked very good in her match with Charlotte.

Bobby Roode and Orton was actually decent. If they could’ve switched it up another gear, it could’ve been really good. I have no idea how Jinder is still a thing after his performances last year. 

Usos vs New Day was going great until the interference. It was needed, Harper and Rowan really needed to look like monsters against the brands two top teams and their demolition of them was fantastic. 

Great main event. How is Shane still a face at this point? I know Kevin and Sami are the heels, but the character of Shane and what he’s doing is pretty much that of a power abusing dickhead. And he still gets reactions. I have no idea where this is leading too as we’ve already seen Kevin vs Shane. Unless they somehow make it Kevin and Sami vs Shane and a returning Daniel Bryan. 

I enjoyed it, thought all the matches delivered what was expected of them, the main event was great.

Going onto Mania, I'm guessing Orton/Jinder/Roode will happen, but like has been mentioned, throw Ziggler, Rusev & Corbin in with a ladder and just let them go nuts.

I still think more names will be added to the IC Title match, Elias, how far is Joe away from a comeback?

Surely they will go down a tag match route with Shane? I could see Owens and Zayn saying something like they are still best friends etc and they are putting everything between them to one side just to get rid of Shane at Mania, give Shane a partner who is doing nothing and maybe put Shane's role as commissioner on the line or something?

Can definitely see a triple threat match for the SD Tag Titles, quite enjoyed Harper and Rowans beat down during the match.

I like the idea of Bryan teaming with Shane, as that’s the only way Shane can be a face in the match of how he is acting. However that gives a card with Angle, Undertaker and Bryan all as liabilities (Taker to less of an extent, but he is falling apart.) If anything was to happen to one of them on the show and WWE would get slammed for putting workers in danger. Three matches with guys who shouldn’t be working? It’s a public relations disaster waiting to happen.

Show was good over all and main event was cracking. Was a decent filler show before Mania. 

• Paid Members

Sad to read about the reactions to Orton vs. Roode. I remember quite a few years ago, when both guys were doing some pretty great work, there was a lot of talk about how there would have been a lot of anticipation for just this match. Both guys have clearly left those peaks a long time since.

I don’t think it’s that, necessarily, they’re both just that ‘chinlock and chill’ kind of wrestler and they don’t need to be paired up with someone the same as them.

Roode is a solid hand, with no reason to think he’s any more than that, but Orton is absolutely one of the best wrestlers on the roster with the right opponent. I don’t think that’s ever changed and if he was to go into a long feud with Styles or Cena or Reigns or Joe or any of the real guarantors of quality, then he think he’d put in absolute corkers. He just needs to be kept away from the Bobby Roode’s and Jinder Mahal’s of this world...

Bollocks.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Roode is a solid hand, with no reason to think he’s any more than that, but Orton is absolutely one of the best wrestlers on the roster with the right opponent. I don’t think that’s ever changed and if he was to go into a long feud with Styles or Cena or Reigns or Joe or any of the real guarantors of quality...

Are you wishing to see more Orton VS Cena? You're sick, man.

To be honest, they have never really had the chemistry we thought they would or WWE hoped they would have. There was a decent I Quit match if I recall, but the rest have been bloody crap, which is a shame considering how good they both are. The showdown in the Rumble match that year where Cena pointed to the Wrestlemania sign, and there was NO crowd reaction whatsoever, sums up their 'historic rivalry'.

Actually yeah, by that point I’d disassociated myself from who I was talking about and was just thinking about who the guarantors of match quality were in WWE.

No, you’re right, Orton/Cena is the ultimate example of something that should have worked (and not just that, they clearly expected it to be, quite reasonably so, the defining feud of the past decade) but just didn’t.

I’m fucked if I can explain it, though. Big match John could have a good spin with anyone, it seems.

• Paid Members

You just know WWE are absolutely devastated that they can't say Orton/Cena was THE feud of the generation. Although in 20 years time they may well hope everyone has forgotten about how shit it was and liken it to Austin/McMahon or something. "Here's a classic they had at Royal Rumble folks, where they unified both world titles! Listen to the crowd, they're so hot, they don't know who to cheer!"

Orton's interview on Talking Smack was quite fun.  He was clearly taking the piss out of the pointing to the sign and the way he talked about the Punjabi Prison made it seem he thought it was awful.  Wonder what they'll call the post show when the PPVs are all dual branded.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

You just know WWE are absolutely devastated that they can't say Orton/Cena was THE feud of the generation. Although in 20 years time they may well hope everyone has forgotten about how shit it was and liken it to Austin/McMahon or something. "Here's a classic they had at Royal Rumble folks, where they unified both world titles! Listen to the crowd, they're so hot, they don't know who to cheer!"

To be fair, they can always point to Cena/Edge from that same era. And that was a lot more fun - it definitely didn't feel quite as interminable.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don’t think it’s that, necessarily, they’re both just that ‘chinlock and chill’ kind of wrestler and they don’t need to be paired up with someone the same as them

Gran Akuma (ex-CHIKARA wrestler) on Twitter said that Roode and Orton had a great 8-10 minute match, it was just that it took them more than 8-10 minutes to get there. I've not seen Fastlane yet, but that strikes me as a pretty accurate description of most matches for both men.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

To be fair, they can always point to Cena/Edge from that same era. And that was a lot more fun - it definitely didn't feel quite as interminable.

Oh of course, arguably both respective wrestlers' best feud, but you know WWE would love to say it was Orton and Cena. The 'ruthless aggression' graduates and all that.