Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Lashley vs. Reigns is apparently main eventing the show which is absurd.

It's getting daft. Why is Reigns' disappointing feud of the month always being presented as more important than the WWE Championship? I know Raw is the flagship and Roman is the top guy until Lesnar and the European title get back from hols, but this is such a disservice to AJ, SmackDown and THE belt.

It makes it seem even stranger that they ditched Rousey for 30 days, or was that down to other commitments? Or atleast go with a more regular main even opponent as AJs challenger. AJ v Bryan would have been perfect for this event with a Miz run in to setup their Summerslam match. Lashley v Reigns is going to be alsorts of trouble closing the show, or do they want that now?

1 hour ago, Van Dammer said:

It makes it seem even stranger that they ditched Rousey for 30 days, or was that down to other commitments? Or atleast go with a more regular main even opponent as AJs challenger. AJ v Bryan would have been perfect for this event with a Miz run in to setup their Summerslam match. Lashley v Reigns is going to be alsorts of trouble closing the show, or do they want that now?

While I don’t disagree with you, you just know that if they did do AJ v Bryan on this show they’d be greeted with “why are they throwing this away on a B-level PPV~!?!” as opposed to looking at it as a match (similar to when they did Reigns v Cena last year) that goes some way to eliminate the feel/perception of something being viewed as a “B-level PPV”, whatever that even means in this day & age. The can’t win with certain sections of the audience no matter what they do

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

It's far too soon for AJ & Bryan to have anything going for it other than it'll be a good match. They've not told Bryan's redemption story anywhere near well enough, AJ is a lukewarm Champion and a match on a secondary show won't help that feel.

4 hours ago, Van Dammer said:

It makes it seem even stranger that they ditched Rousey for 30 days, or was that down to other commitments? 

I have no idea what the reason is, but I did think they would do something like a 30 day suspension so she comes back with a big push into Summerslam.

7 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

It's far too soon for AJ & Bryan to have anything going for it other than it'll be a good match. They've not told Bryan's redemption story anywhere near well enough, AJ is a lukewarm Champion and a match on a secondary show won't help that feel.

Not that i'm watching regularly but AJ seems to be becoming a bit of a placeholder champion in that he is mostly over and provides good matches without needing to be all over the show. No idea if the Bryan contract stuff is actually true but either way i'd imagine that his real redemption story line would start with The Miz and end with a title win at Wrestlemania, unless they keep Miz away from him to be the person he wins the belt from . That said I don't really have the hope that they will tell any of this obvious story correctly. Post Summerslam they will probably shoot straight to Bryan's title shot and then have him fanny about with midcard acts for the rest of the year.

12 hours ago, ThommoLincs said:

No doubt that's a great picture. However the art of wrestling is to not hurt each other. In that sense this is just fucking stupid.

Art, like anything is subjective and dictated by the interplay between the artists and the audience. There is an audience for this style of wrestling as well as a healthy amount of wrestlers who enjoy working that style. 

Jericho was quoted recently as saying that to him wrestling should be stiff so long as it's safe and Regal had a reputation for hitting hard but knowing where and how to do so.

I've got no problem with how Walter works, neither seemingly do his opponents or his promoters or he wouldn't currently be one of the busiest guys in wrestling.