Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Neville would be the best option I think but they seem determined to make sure he's not part of it.

Part of me thinks that is because bigger things are in his future. Not Balor big, but I could see him getting a run with one of the mid card belts. The new Ziggler.

• Paid Members

Shame the momentum of the main event was badly hurt by those two table spots because I thought both women were onto something, then it kind of fell apart and the crowd slowly died come the conclusion. I think Charlotte is very good and I'm pleased she won. Hopefully this is the end of Charlotte v Banks for ages now. It peaked at that Raw main event and has seemed a bit overkill for a while.

Reigns v Rusev was very good, again. Similar to above, just a shame it's a feud that peaked a while back.

The other positives were Jericho, again, and their excellent video packages for Goldberg/Lesnar and the main event. I agree WWE never fully exploit their excellence at making these.

I thought the main event was quite decent but maybe because it was a first and felt big time whereas with the men its all been done before and feels very samish. I thought the end was a bit iffy though, would have liked Charlotte to have more heat winning, just ended very quietly when the crowd were into the match for the most part. A decent effort though and probably preferred it over the other matches. 

Reigns vs Rusev - Couldn't care less about these two, been going on for too long, Reigns might have decent matches but does nothing for me as a character and every Rusev feud seems to drag on for months and months where you just know he end up losing in the end. Found it hard to get into the match when the story was naff. 

Owens vs Seth - Better than I thought but not sure it felt like a HITC match, with these two you know what your getting though, Rollins being robbed though felt as though the fans had some sympathy, guess Jericho will work with Rollins or Rollins takes him out for a few months.

Everything else was okay at best. 

I enjoyed the main event. Gimmicky as all get out, but that's okay because (a) I don't need to see these two women wrestle a normal match again anytime soon, and (b) it calmed the fears that they'd go easy and have a "normal" match that just happened to be in a cell. I'm very glad Charlotte won too. Sasha, for all the NXT hype and excitement, has completely failed to win me over since she's hit the main roster. So far I see her as a more glam, less skilled version of AJ Lee (and I know what most of this place thinks of AJ). Charlotte is a capable in-ring competitor and a completely mediocre but passable promo. She may as well have the belt and use it to see if Bayley's popularity can carry over into WWE proper.

Aside from that, I didn't think much of the event. I said a while back that I welcomed the new PPV schedule because I looked forward to more matches that felt "consequential". That's still mostly true, but I have to say that even the other two Hell in a Cell matches here felt less than that. Rusev/Reigns was perfectly serviceable but also predictable and familiar. Owens/Rollins was alright but if you swapped the Cell for a cage that match would have fit fine as a Raw main event leading up to a proper PPV match between Rollins and Owens.

Excellent main event although a slightly weird finish. I'd like to see them have another go at Hell In A Cell next year. Few things didn't quite go right and I think they can do better.

Rest of the show left no impression whatsoever.

I enjoyed the main event (aside from the overly long, transparent and heat-sapping injury angle at the start), but I'd be interested to know what was going through their minds when the table wouldn't break for the finish.

Ending it there with such an unsatisfying spot seemed like the worst option available to them, but did they even have - or feel that they had - the freedom to improvise an alternative? Are they so afraid to go off-script that they'll accept a flat finish when Plan A doesn't work?

Maybe they just couldn't afford the extra thirty seconds to do something else, what with PPV timeslots still being an issue. I don't know. Just thinking "aloud" here. But I'm sure we'll read all about this match in one of their autobiographies some day, so my curiosity should be sated then.

I thought they might still keep to time because some people are, for one reason or another, still watching on actual PPV. I didn't know about those recent examples though.

Natural Selection is possibly the worst finisher in wrestling. Even if the table broke it would be a flat finish.

Charlotte is ace but Sasha should have won that one imo, plenty of time to put the belt back on Charlotte and no one other than Cole gives two squirts of piss about Charlotte or anyone elses PPV record.

Undertaker's streak it isn't.

• Awards Moderator

Ending it there with such an unsatisfying spot seemed like the worst option available to them, but did they even have - or feel that they had - the freedom to improvise an alternative? Are they so afraid to go off-script that they'll accept a flat finish when Plan A doesn't work?

They're still very inexperienced in the grand scheme of things. They've been given a main event slot, in a unique match type, and had a whole bunch of story points to go through. All of a sudden the script changes and they probably don't have the experience to come up with a tweak on the end bar "sod it, do the finisher again."

• Paid Members

The Charlotte win was all about keeping her PPV singles record going - I imagine that will play into storylines some time in the future. She is yet to lose a singles PPV match since she was called up.

If that *was* their rationale, it pisses me off beyond belief. The way everything has panned out between Sasha and Charlotte all year, starting at the Rumble, Sasha *had* to win this match, else she's Lugered. The top babyface girl went into the biggest womens' match in company history and got beat. She's been made to look inferior to Charlotte in defeats at the three biggest stages they've had - Mania, SummerSlam and now Sunday. Why should I have any reason to believe in her now? Lugered her to fuck. Wrestling is about storytelling and while only the naiive believe that the babyfaces need to come out on top of EVERY story, when you put time and investment in, and you manage to build to something climactic, the payoff has to be right, and this wasn't. I'm still devastated.