Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

Wrong decision in the main event.
You can tell Vince and HHH have a major hard-on for Charlotte given she's Ric Flair's daughter and, yes, I would say she IS the best all-round female they have on the roster (maybe tied with Becky) but Sasha should have won. It just defies logic to me that the babyface lost in her home town to a superior heel.

Had Sasha won, you could have had her celebrate, even hug Charlotte, only for Nia Jax (if they even still give a fuck about her given her absence from TV this past month) walk down to the ring, push a couple of officials out of the way, rip the cell door off (ala Kane), lay-out Sasha, ruining her big moment while the commentators harp on about Sasha just having been through the fight of her life and now she's being mauled by this big monster!" etc etc.

Charlotte could then start a slow babyface turn - Dana could up the bitchiness, taking over Charlotte's spot while Charlotte is out 'recovering' - challenging Sasha, saying she will do what Charlotte couldn't do etc. Charlotte comes back humbled, she is doubting her abilities, Dana, more confident than ever, exploits this and starts saying things like 'You're no longer the champ, why don't YOU carry MY bags now' etc. or something, 
Eventually, after weeks of taunts and humiliation, Charlotte lamps Dana and then they feud, only with Charlotte as the face.

Shit, even reunite Dana and Emmalina.... have Emmalina say she will be a bigger star than Charlotte could ever hope to be or something...

I dunno, I just think 'Eurgh, another Charlotte reign. Yawn'.

Did enjoy the show though. Not amazing but enjoyable.

I'm probably very wrong, but are WWE trying to make Charlotte the modern equivalent of Ric Flair? and by that i mean the title reigns associated with his name?

i noticed that, after her win last night, shes already a 3 time women's champion, (4 if you include the Diva's title, and 5 if you include the NXT womens title) in what I would consider a short space of time. undoubtedly she is the best wrestler in her division, (by a large gap i'd say), so she should have a lengthy run rather than "drop it on TV, win it back at PPV" as she has done the past TWO occasions. 

EDIT: and also, New Day? URGH. Why are they pushing them to be longest reigning tag champs?

Edited by Mr.E

• Paid Members

I think the thing with the New Day now is either because they're doing the best merch numbers so WWE are getting behind them in that respect, or they're going to get close to the record, then lose and either all turn heel with frustration, or split the group with a heel turn or two.

• Paid Members

Wrong decision in the main event.

You can tell Vince and HHH have a major hard-on for Charlotte given she's Ric Flair's daughter and, yes, I would say she IS the best all-round female they have on the roster (maybe tied with Becky) but Sasha should have won. It just defies logic to me that the babyface lost in her home town to a superior heel.

Had Sasha won, you could have had her celebrate, even hug Charlotte, only for Nia Jax (if they even still give a fuck about her given her absence from TV this past month) walk down to the ring, push a couple of officials out of the way, rip the cell door off (ala Kane), lay-out Sasha, ruining her big moment while the commentators harp on about Sasha just having been through the fight of her life and now she's being mauled by this big monster!" etc etc.

Charlotte could then start a slow babyface turn - Dana could up the bitchiness, taking over Charlotte's spot while Charlotte is out 'recovering' - challenging Sasha, saying she will do what Charlotte couldn't do etc. Charlotte comes back humbled, she is doubting her abilities, Dana, more confident than ever, exploits this and starts saying things like 'You're no longer the champ, why don't YOU carry MY bags now' etc. or something, 

Eventually, after weeks of taunts and humiliation, Charlotte lamps Dana and then they feud, only with Charlotte as the face.

Shit, even reunite Dana and Emmalina.... have Emmalina say she will be a bigger star than Charlotte could ever hope to be or something...

I dunno, I just think 'Eurgh, another Charlotte reign. Yawn'.

Did enjoy the show though. Not amazing but enjoyable.

They could bring Nikki Bellocq over to Raw and flush the whole farce down the toilet. Even though I'm on board with a lot of what you're saying we should be at least thankful that things are better than they were since before the Horsewomen arrived.

The only way to make Charlotte more credible in her own right is to either can the Ric stuff (the music, moveset et al) or have her go full hog with his delivery, mannerisms etc. She just cannot pull it off with the same lunacy and excellence. It would be tolerable if she had a face that could get a whistle from more than a boiling kettle.

Edited by seph

I wouldnt have had TJ lose the belt this early either but they had kind of booked themselves into a corner with the storyline.
In fairness, they could have had Kendrick lose and go all full on psycho, 'he's snapped' sort of thing I guess.

Sadly the fans were not buying the knee injury at all, so TJ falling for it just made him look like a chump, sadly.

Also, you hear the dude in the front row go 'Get a fucking haircut!' really loud to Kendrick as he and TJ were outside the ring.

Yeah, screw PG, man!

who ARE the people who seem to chant CM Punk during every Cruiserweight match? why? do they think he should be cruiserweight champ??

good show though, well paced and each cell match was slightly better than the last in my view and they were all good fun. The finish to the main event was a bit of a buzzkill but a great match - loved the beginning cheapshot and brawl, the stretcher stuff mildly hokey but still good. Really pleasant surprise they went on last without that being previously shoved down our throats

Good tag title match too, really liked Sheamus helping out Cesaro, putting in graft, looking the face, was a pity they didn't win

Really pleasant surprise they went on last without that being previously shoved down our throats

That's exactly how I feel about it. I thought the main event, in terms of storytelling, was by far the best match of the night. Shame about the dodgy table spots, though. I just hope this loss pushes Sasha towards a heel turn as I think it would rejuvenate her character somewhat.

Loved that they busted out the Wrestlemania-esque entrances for it too. The women are really good in that regard, what full-time men regularly do something different for their entrances other than Balor cosplaying as rastafarian Kane?

I wouldnt have had TJ lose the belt this early either but they had kind of booked themselves into a corner with the storyline.

In fairness, they could have had Kendrick lose and go all full on psycho, 'he's snapped' sort of thing I guess.

Sadly the fans were not buying the knee injury at all, so TJ falling for it just made him look like a chump, sadly.

Also, you hear the dude in the front row go 'Get a fucking haircut!' really loud to Kendrick as he and TJ were outside the ring.

Yeah, screw PG, man!

Just got past this match in the show, and after years of "push the Cruiserweights", " bring the cruisers back", give the Cruiserweights their own show" (which they did), the crowd are sat in absolute silence for the Cruiserweight title match. As has been said they weren't buying the "oh no, I've hurt my knee" schnanigans from Kendrick, but they were silent for the whole match, apart from "get a fucking haircut you hippy!" guy.

Enjoyed Rusev/Reigns, but the audience chanting for the table was annoying. There's no patience for anything anymore. They've introduced it so let them build to it! They didn't then use it, hopefully in a "fuck off, you don't dictate our match to us" stance

Decent enough card for what it was.

Did appreciate how the three cell matches had their own different dynamics, rather than them all just overlapping into one another. Reigns/Rusev was your old-school big lads beating each other up, KO/Rollins had the 2 on 1 element, and with Sasha/Charlotte you had the pre-match shenanigans meaning Sasha had to work from underneath. Gave them an identity, at the very least.

Rusev/Reigns was solid. Suffered from the usual problem plaguing cell matches in recent years, that issue being it just felt like a no disqualifications match within a cage. You can put most of the blame for that onto the writers, but still. They just did every single spot we've seen in every hardcore match for the last five years. Whip each other into the stairs? Check. Smack each other with said stairs? Check. Kendo stick shots to the body? Check. Don't get me wrong, it was a perfectly good match, but they never reached the intensity or physicality they were going for. Blame that on the build, or the match itself, but they didn't reach the potential they could have done. Finish made Rusev look a bit wank as well. Two accolades, including one chain-assisted, on top of a few of his big kicks, and it takes one spear to put him down? Oh well, I like both guys enough so no huge problems with this.

Skipped Bayley/Dana and The Club vs Enzo and Cass. Don't feel like I missed anything in doing so.

Rollins/Owens was another good match, but there was still nothing really to it until the closing stretches. Owens can't win a match on his own and Rollins is in the "face whom never does anything that a typical good person would do" role. They still managed a good match though, as two workers of their caliber should be expected to, containing all the smooth transitions and sequences we've seen them produce 1000 times before. Think it picked up somewhat upon Jericho coming out. A creative way of getting rid of the referee, Rollins getting some good babyface pops in taking out both guys, Jericho planting the seeds for a feud with Rollins, and then Owens looking like a killer by smashing Rollins through some chairs. Good match, and probably MOTN.

TJP/TBK was a nice surprise. They got the story across well, that TJ was younger, quicker, and generally better, yet Brian had the ring awareness, and experience to catch him out in the early goings. Sadly, they didn't really do anything you couldn't find in your typical RAW midcard match, and thus the crowd didn't care, which is a real shame because what they DID do was good. It was moreso based on what they DIDN'T do that killed any chance of the crowd being invested. I'd argue Brian is a poor choice for champion at this stage. They haven't gotten his story from the CWC nearly as over on the main roster, meaning the majority of the live audience won't be seeing him as anything more than "old lad who wants to win" - maybe not what you want from the leader of your new division. Enjoyed the ending though, despite how daft it made TJP and the announce team look. Good stuff here, hopefully we get a new challenger for the belt.

New Day do nothing for me these days, so was firmly rooting for a Sheamus/Cesaro win. Are New Day heel or face? They do nothing but pander to the crowd, but do nothing to retain their titles cleanly. Maybe they're going for the whole tweener gimmick, but if so, it's died a tremendous death. Again, the in-ring work was solid, and the crowd was hot for Sheamus/Cesaro, which was really good to see. Just a shame that nothings going to change in the tag division until the New Day break the record, meaning we're just meandering around pointlessly for the next few months.

I really wanted to like the main event. Truly, I did. They started off well, the pre-match attack from Charlotte looked really good, and got the crowd hot for the match. Then the rest of it happened. Sasha sells like death for 5 minutes, stretcher, EMT's, the whole lot. 60 seconds later, she's bouncing around the ring and delivering dives to the outside like nothing ever happened. Charlotte constantly works over Sasha's back, and she doesn't sell a single thing. Her back isn't an issue when she's doing triple suicide dives. It's not an issue when she's doing the three amigo's, nor is it an issue when she's flying around the ring doing a bunch of head scissors. The only time she really sold, was simply because the ending called for her to do so. Maybe I'm being too harsh on her, but it really took me out of the match at points, seeing all of Charlotte's good offence made completely meaningless up until the last 30 seconds. On a more positive note, this was the only cell match out of the three that they made feel as though it warranted the stipulation. They did a good job getting over the rivalry between the two, and the in-ring work reflected so. Charlotte was really good, apart from that shitty table bump, I thought. Her crowd work, her offence, her selling of Sasha not staying down, and her reaction to winning was all top notch.

All in all, a decent little show. We got some good matches, storyline progression, new feuds were put into place and we got to witness a significant milestone match take place. Good job. 

• Paid Members

I thought Reigns v Rusev was the best match of the night. Rollins v Owens was a spot fest as most of their matches tend to be, which whilst exciting if you don't see it all the time, unfortunately we do see it from them all the time. There was plenty going on and it was fun, with the right guy going over.

The main event was ok and nothing more in my eyes. I think Sasha is terribly overrated. They probably made the right decision for the night with making it the main event, as the crowd treated Sasha the way they would have wanted, but they should have been pushing this as the main event ages ago. This match made the most sense for being in a cell though due to how long they have been going back and forth.

I don't think they made the wrong choice with many of the decisions, but boy do I wish I had a bet on that show last night. There was no suprise result. Roman winning, New Day keeping the belts (although a DQ would have cost the bet I guess), Kendrick, Owens, Bayley were all shoe-ins, and Charlotte was quite likely to win as well with Vince's love for the home town hero losing.

That powerbomb spot and the awful stretcher job took me out of the main event. The "emt"s failing to even know how to get a neckbrace on Sasha Banks and her going from unable to stand under her own strength to climbing the cell for a double knee and hitting the three amigos was a touch over the top for me. At least she didn't win, but where do you go for the rematch? Are we going Last Woman Standing? 

Ladder Match. I would have said TLC match, but Smackdown have that PPV in December.

Enjoyed the ending though, despite how daft it made TJP and the announce team look. Good stuff here, hopefully we get a new challenger for the belt.

Rich Swann beat him last week, so they will probably make him the next challenger. Either that or they will do a 3-way with TJ involved as well.

Edited by DJM

• Paid Members

Rich Swann seems the logical option, I don't think there is a babyface cruiserweight as likeable as him at the moment. Cedric seems a little on the cocky side whilst the Mexican lads are a bit bland at the moment (including Sin Cara).

I'm hoping we get a TJP heel run soon, he seems more natural in a smug heel role.