Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

I reckon they’re doing a run-inat some point.

I mentioned before, but my wife actually shed a tear when Jon left Ghost behind, partly down to the fact that he did just fuck off. David Nutter, who directed the episode, has come out and said that CGI prevented them from having Jon say a proper goodbye - “Since the Direwolves are kind of CG creations, we felt it best to keep it as simple as possible. It played out much more powerfully that way”.

Lyanna Mormont can get crushed by CG dead giant and Jon canride a CG dragon all series, but a pat on the head of his loyal companion was too much apparently 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Also, I wrongly assumed Tormund would be involved in the big Throne battle. Slightly peeved that they just walking back north to chill. I get that it's not their battle, but after all they've been through together... 

It's definitely not their fight. They went with Jon because they bought into his plea of "fight with us or everybody dies." They don't need to risk dying again to see who rules over everything that isn't theirs. Jon wouldn't have been able to make them stay and it would have been dishonourable for him to ask. The debt is paid, much like Aragorn couldn't have asked the dead to come to the gates of Mordor in ROTK.

24 minutes ago, deathrey said:

What a cop out! I'm not even a pet person and even I thought it was cold hearted and just not in keeping with the character!

Maybe it was easier for the soft twat to not say goodbye. Didn't want to cry in front of his mates.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:31 PM, d-d-d-dAz said:

I go back and forth on the ridiculous ending I most want from this show.

Currently, it's Euron and Cersei winning the war only for Euron (realising its not his baby) to double cross her and kill her. Show ends with him sat on the Iron Throne, one leg up cooly like a cologne model posing next to a Harley, crown slightly off to the side - 'King of Kings', the Triple H song, plays in full whilst he just grins into camera as you hear the sounds of all your favourite characters being tortured and killed in the background.

...There can be only one.

Doesn't matter how the show ends now because it won't be this.

Thanks for ruining Game of Thrones for me.

I find it fascinating that the reaction to Thrones has been so negative online.

There does seem to be a trend where the internet has created spaces for people to discuss content in excruciating detail in real time, so they ultimately build themselves up for disappointment when big endings don’t match their ridiculous expectations.

The only things that stood out as being particularly strange were Arya being immortal and the Jamie/Euron fight being way too convenient. Maybe you could argue that Greyworm acted a little out of pocket, but I can buy that a combination of Missandei getting got and Dany demanding his loyalty would turn him psycho.

Other than that, it felt like they pretty much began the process of paying off storylines in the most traditional, obvious ways possible. Nothing was a huge surprise, maybe that’s what’s upsetting people, but the reaction just seems so uniquely 2019.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I can understand the reaction purely because the episode was designed to be a massive downer. People don't want that. Now the final episode could be thrilling because of it but the initial gut reaction is inherently going to be negative. I think you would have that reaction no matter what year it aired just that in 2019 they have the social media tools to be exceptionally vocal about.

• Paid Members

This is genuinely the only place I see a consistently non-fucking stupid reaction to this show. People all over the internet have built up their own ideas of what will happen with the characters - not even what should, but what will - and a deviation from that is taken as a personal insult. Last week Cersei chained Missandei up, and I saw so much dumb anger - “she doesn’t deserve that,” “that’s wrong!” - yeah, no shit. That’s the point - Cersei was being cruel to intimidate and infuriate her enemies, and yet that does get a reaction of hate to Cersei, it gets an indignant response.

And this week, Dany was “suddenly” driven to insane violence. Seemed to me like she has lost practically all advisors and friends, pushed the rest away, lost 2/3 of her children, and discovered it was all possibly for nothing due to Jon having the better claim. She went to Kings Landing expecting Cersei to refuse to yield, and thereby give her a mandate to burn the city. Didn’t happen, so she just took it anyway. But that’s not what the “fandom” wanted.

in summation, fandoms can fuck right off.

Everything that happened in that episode was long foreshadowed, there were no huge surprises. Everyone was moaning about Dany not flying above the clouds and burning the Iron Fleet from behind and that's exactly what she did today.  Her descent in to the Mad Queen was also long forecasted so no big surprises there, it all played out exactly how it should have.

I did think at one point that Dany had told Greyworm to kill Jon and that he was going to get him in the ensuing battle but that's obviously yet to come.

The scenes with Arya trying to escape the Red Keep interswitching with The Hound getting battered were brilliant I thought. Fuck knows how Arya survived all that. I think she'll now go on to kill Dany but we'll see.

My only real grumble is I thought Cersei's death was too pleasant, I would have liked to have seen more of a comeuppance/a more gruesome death but people rarely get what they deserve and that served as a reminder.

For me, one thing seems certain: Dany won't sit on the Iron Throne in the end so who will win the Game of Thrones? I still don't think Jon wants it even if its thrust upon him but we shall see next week

Edited by deathrey
Typos

I’m just glad that they didn’t go with Greyworm trying to get to The Mountain after last week. The seeds for Sandor v Gregor were planted so early on, to rob us of that would’ve been horrific. I liked that Arya and Jon were both rocking the Ned Stark hair too.

All in all, exactly what it was expected to be and exactly what it needed to be. The ‘fandom’ well & truely threw their toys out of the pram once the Night King was taken out, and whatever happened afterwards was never going to get them back, but I’ve enjoyed how this final series has gone for the most part. The fact that going into the final episode it’s still up in the air about who will have throne, good! That’s how it should be

• Paid Members

I thought it was much, much better than the last couple of episodes. Enjoyed CleganeMania a great deal, and I shed a tear when Arya called the Hound Sandor. 

I will say that Euron getting a near fatal blow on Jamie was akin to Kidman getting a win over Hogan - the guy just doesn't have it and I didn't buy him for a second. 

• Awards Moderator

Wow. That was a lot to take in! So glad there’s this place to discuss things - don’t think I’ll be going elsewhere online to read whingey Buzzfeed articles because I thought that was excellent. Daenerys has always had that in her, but it was still shocking and terrifying to see her do it. All those poor people! I never thought I’d be feeling sympathy for Cersei at this stage but I really was. Hound vs Mountain was suitably epic, Jon just looked utterly lost, the Dothraki reminded us they are NOT good guys, and I’m a bit worried there’s nothing left of Dubrovnik. Fuck knows what’s going to happen to wrap it up next week but I’m there for it. Fuck the ‘fandom’, they tried to ruin my Star Wars and they’re not doing the same to Thrones.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I find it fascinating that the reaction to Thrones has been so negative online.

It's fucking mad and I can't figure it out. It happens with everything now. Is it a psychological aversion to letting something go, so people are trying to convince themselves it was shit anyway, like when you say your ex had a tiny nob so good riddence? The way people talk about it this season, you'd think it was the worst show ever, harping on about 'abysmal' dialogue and rating episodes 1/10 on IMDB before they've even aired. Forgetting that episode 2 was an all-time great, I don't think it's been notably worse this year at all. Possibly it feels a bit like fanfic because we spent so many years with the characters all in these little pockets spread out over the map, thinking "ooh imagine if Jon met Tyrion, imagine Dany in King's Landing!" and now suddenly everyone's together.

(obviously Jon and Tyrion meet in episode 1, but you know what I mean)

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Completely baffled at the mixed to negative reactions to the episode, I thought it was probably second best episode of the entire show, only just behind season six finale (were the blew up the Sept). The cinematography was sublime, it seemed like every shot could have been a still for a promotional poster.

Daenerys' slow turn in to the Mad Queen came to a climax perfectly, and credit where it's due, the few scenes Emilia Clarke had she properly upped her game, I always found her to be the weakest cast member but her facial expressions and body language couldn't have been more on point here. That scene waiting for the bells to ring then waiting to see what her reaction would be was done brilliantly, proper edge of the seat stuff and I didn't leave that edge for remainder.  
The Clegane showdown was superb, from the "Sandor, thank you" to Qyburn getting swatted then the dual scene of Arya and The Hound in peril and finally The Hound and The Mountain crashing through the wall and falling in to the fire together. It was just superb.

Seriously buzzing by the end of that episode.

My prediction is Tyrion to end up on the throne in the South and Jon to rule the North as King, starting some kind of new era.
Spoilered incase I'm right and people get pissed off. 

They now seem to be hammering home how much of an honest, decent, dependable guy he is. And i remember a few episodes ago, he had that conversation with Varys (gutted to see him go) and Davos were he mentions that if they don't have a suitable heir to the throne then it falls to the Hand, reckon that might be a bit of a Chekhov's Gun moment. GoT does have form with this kind of mention something once then never again stuff so who knows.

Edited by stumobir

21 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

It's fucking mad and I can't figure it out. It happens with everything now. Is it a psychological aversion to letting something go, so people are trying to convince themselves it was shit anyway, like when you say your ex had a tiny nob so good riddence? The way people talk about it this season, you'd think it was the worst show ever, harping on about 'abysmal' dialogue and rating episodes 1/10 on IMDB before they've even aired. Forgetting that episode 2 was an all-time great, I don't think it's been notably worse this year at all. Possibly it feels a bit like fanfic because we spent so many years with the characters all in these little pockets spread out over the map, thinking "ooh imagine if Jon met Tyrion, imagine Dany in King's Landing!" and now suddenly everyone's together.

It’s only since a girl saved the day 2 episodes ago that it was decided that the writers can’t write for shit. Places like IMDB are at fault too for allowing them to rate something a day before it airs, it’s fucking stupid.

And like you say, it happens with everything now. Everything is either the greatest thing ever made or it’s complete dogshite, there is no “it was alright” anymore.

Pardon the cliche, but it’s clearly just a load of basement dwelling gobshites with nothing better to do than complain about it because it hasn’t played out exactly as they had pictured it doing so. I saw one comment earlier about how this person “deserved better” and so & so “deserved better”, and it just brought back memories that tweet about the Women’s Wrestlemania Battle Royale and how everyone in the match “deserved better”