Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but I find it funny that we're complaining about fans ragging on the product that they supposedly love and support. 

Then I ventured into the Raw thread. 

At least Thrones fans actually watch it before declaring it shit.

10 minutes ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

That reminds me, have they closed rating on shows and movies on IMDB until they're out yet?

No, and this is part of what’s been fueling all the online fandom nonsense. The last 2 episodes have had a section of people rating 1/10 because they’re salty about a girl killing the Night King/the final series in general because it’s not how they’ve fantasy booked it, and another section rating them 10/10 to try and counteract the people giving low ratings. And all of that has been happening before the episode airs

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

No, and this is part of what’s been fueling all the online fandom nonsense. The last 2 episodes have had a section of people rating 1/10 because they’re salty about a girl killing the Night King/the final series in general because it’s not how they’ve fantasy booked it, and another section rating them 10/10 to try and counteract the people giving low ratings. And all of that has been happening before the episode airs

Jesus... as I said earlier, have a lot of love for how GoT has been discussed here. The vitriol for the godly Euron on Twitter, for a start — I don't know, he was added late to the cast? He wasn't a mopey conflicted sod? For a bloke with so many boats, he didn't have many ships?

I never particularly like Euron, he didnt have much depth to him as a character - he was just cocky and not much else. Tormund was cocky but was better at it. I miss Tormund.  I wish he was getting a spin-off show

Edited by deathrey

You're never going to please everyone, but some of the reaction to this episode has been ridiculous especially as its not actually the ending. Stuff we may not like may all pay off in the context of the last episode.

GoT is the first massive show since Twitter / Reddit / Utter Clickbait became huge. I always think Breaking Bad managed to just escape the full on madness of it all. I think The Guardian had about 18 articles last week about how it had 'betrayed women' 'betrayed BAME characters' 'Betrayed (insert outrage)' and that sort of stuff utterly fuels a lot of the shit that we see flung at it. I'm not saying there are not genuine discussions to be had about this, but its a show set in a fantasy land. Modern society has nothing to do with it. And not every thing has to be dissected and pulled apart. Twitter is an utter cesspit for this type of crap on all sides.

Anyway, I've liked all of the episodes. I've had issues with some of the stuff, but I had issues with stuff in the earlier seasons. Bar Jamie, I feel all the big stuff has landed.

• Paid Members

Jaime has made sense in his demise, regardless of what people think of his "babyface turn" redemption arc. Thrones has excelled at "shades of grey" with Cersei being as close to 100% bad and Jon to 100% good with everyone else somewhere in the middle. People don't change and any other measures of "honour" you want to judge Jaime Lannister by, his primary trait was "family first" - from the moment he pushed Bran Stark out of a window right up until he died trying to escape Kings Landing with his unborn child.

• Paid Members

I've seen a lot of people saying Euron was a pointless character who had no depth or arc. He's a supporting villain, a plot device. He's fuckin' Keamy from Lost season 4. He's just a bad guy who fucks stuff up, not everyone needs this whole massive story or depth.

I enjoyed the episode. There was some stuff that I didn't like and this season is definitely rushed but it was good enough. It's a miracle we EVER had this show, especially the level of quality and production it's been. The story quality has dropped but that's true of almost every long running series in history. That they've kept it this good despite all the obstacles, problems and insane expectations is really quite something. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Jaime has made sense in his demise, regardless of what people think of his "babyface turn" redemption arc. Thrones has excelled at "shades of grey" with Cersei being as close to 100% bad and Jon to 100% good with everyone else somewhere in the middle. People don't change and any other measures of "honour" you want to judge Jaime Lannister by, his primary trait was "family first" - from the moment he pushed Bran Stark out of a window right up until he died trying to escape Kings Landing with his unborn child.

Exactly. The one constant of Jamie has been his undying love of Cersei no matter how much he changed. Just because he bumped uglies with Brienne one night isn't going to make him leave her to die alone with their unborn baby.

53 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Exactly. The one constant of Jamie has been his undying love of Cersei no matter how much he changed. Just because he bumped uglies with Brienne one night isn't going to make him leave her to die alone with their unborn baby.

It's a good point but they didn't establish any of that progression. We spent years  watching this arc that seemed to lead to the points of ditching Cercei to fight "for the living", knighting Brienne etc etc. Then he get's the info about Cercei, says he's always been a monster and fucks off back to Kings Landing as to have a tearful "we die together" scene. The points work, they do kinda make sense it's just a bit whiplashy and unfocused. It's the same as Dany burning the fuck out of everything.

I think the problem is for a while a section of the internet convinced themselves they were watching a different show. You had bonkers theories on reddit leading to plot points that would've been impossible to convey outside of a reddit post. I remember when Arya got stabbed and fell in the water back when she was at assasain school, there were all these ideas of her stealing someone's face and giving someone else hers and so on and so forth - turned out they just wanted a cliffhanger where a loved character looked like they might be dead, and then they weren't! Standard TV basically, not fucking Joyce's centuries of enigmas and puzzles.

GoT has pretty much been Tits and Dragons. It has some great actors, lovely sets and some more complicated books that give the illusion of a carefully built work but it's a big silly show where Dragons solve problems, all the badass characters go hang out and find a zombie and teenage assassins are super important.   It's a giant spectacle and if you're upset the theories you came up with on reddit didn't pan out then that's a pretty rubbish reason not to enjoy it. On the other hand you can't discount the fact it's hastily written and really doesn't care much about depth nor elegant writing. It's about moments that make people cheer in bars, not about analysing James Gandolifini's acting choices and the writer's use of phrasing in a Tony monologue.

Edited by organizedkaos