Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• 1 year later...

So, its back. Kinda.

House of The Dragon which is set 200 years or so before the first book starts this weekend and seems to be getting some decent reviews in. I was never the biggest fan of the show but I had some fun a long the way so will catch it through whatever means I can.

I'm looking forward to it but with some trepidation. I'm interested to see how much influence G.R.R.Martin has had on the show or if the show writers have just been given guidance and left to their own devices.

I think he has had quite a bit, I know he's came out and said why he's changed things from the book. He pretty much called viewers too thick to understand a show with conflicting reports of the history... I think the show's taking a normal linear route.

Weren’t they all “We won’t be having gratuitous nudity and violence in this, but don’t worry, we want to reflect the time it’s set in so they’ll be loads of rape!!”

• Awards Moderator

I read Fire and Blood last month and the story they’re telling in this show is definitely one of the most interesting and dramatic parts of that book. If they’ve ironed out some of Martin’s more particular tendencies like the way he describes the sexy bits / makes everything about sexy bits but trying to make it less weird by it only being from one character’s perspective, and his fascination with the tedious Iron Islands, this show should be brilliant. Corlys Velaryon and Daemon Targaryen are brilliant characters, Olivia Cooke is playing someone who doesn’t get much in the book but it’s Olivia Cooke so she’ll probably make her the best thing in it, and SO MANY DRAGONS. I’m excited.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Fire and Blood is great from a war, treachery and “every time a Targaryen is born, the Gods flip a coin” point of view. Unfortunately being 100% Targaryen it’s Martins most “hash tag awks” novel in terms of “She was already shagging since she was 13” and “She’ll marry her brother, OBVIOUSLY, or failing that any number of pervy uncles already fancy a crack.” Also it’s incredibly galling that he found time to write it while ASOIAF sits in the corner sobbing, neglected. Those lads that sang “Waited five fucking years for A Dance With Dragons” probably feel a bit dumb now. Although they’re all middle aged dads in v neck sweaters now, swapping stories of how the wife made them sell the Warhammer collection and what a good finance deal they got on their hybrid.

The show will be great based on the story from the book as long as it’s paced correctly.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Also it’s incredibly galling that he found time to write it while ASOIAF sits in the corner sobbing, neglected.

He's never, ever, ever finishing Winds of Winter. The king of procrastination will find something else to faff about with next instead.