Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

I still think Arya getting all that training to learn how to be a faceless assassin, getting it all down pat, then going, "actually...nahhh" is a bit of a weird one. Should she really be allowed to opt out of serving the many faced god without any repercussions? Or did I miss something? 

Edited by hallicks

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I know no book wankery but apparently it's just as bad in them, GRRM has said in an interview there's too many plot points to being together and finish.

He also said his ending was going to be different for some characters.

1 hour ago, hallicks said:

I still think Arya getting all that training to learn how to be a faceless assassin, getting it all down pat, then going, "actually...nahhh" is a bit of a weird one. Should she really be allowed to opt out of serving the many faced god without any repercussions? Or did I miss something? 

The waif tried to kill her for walking out didnt she? And the faceless man thing did come in to some use, I don't know how else she would have tricked Walder Frey and avenged the Red Wedding the way she did if she couldn't change faces. She wiped out all the male Frey's in a very satisfying way without really putting herself in any danger. Whilst it might not have been what we imagined her to do with the faceless skill, it certainly was used.

50 minutes ago, deathrey said:

The waif tried to kill her for walking out didnt she? And the faceless man thing did come in to some use, I don't know how else she would have tricked Walder Frey and avenged the Red Wedding the way she did if she couldn't change faces. She wiped out all the male Frey's in a very satisfying way without really putting herself in any danger. Whilst it might not have been what we imagined her to do with the faceless skill, it certainly was used.

Ah yes, I remember now. So by vanquishing the waif, she basically frees herself. I know it came in useful, but I thought she was only (supposed to be) able to use it in service of the many faced god. Cos she gets a bollocking and made blind when she kills that guy (paedo?) off her own back, right? So I thought matey boy might show up and punish her for the Waldur Frey thing but it never happened. 

I think I over invested in that storyline for some reason. 

I think it's more of a skill that she's learned and can use as she wills. Maybe they didn't come after her because she was in Westeros? They may not have known she used face swapping? How would one track such a skill?

Late to the party but after only starting GoT at the end of March, I just caught the finale. I would be so disappointed if I had waited 8 years for this but it's still good. The two biggest issues are that because the rest of the series is so good, the ending is flat and the final series is so rushed. 

So many questions and it will require a second viewing in full. Now going to be a book wanker.

• Paid Members

I always thought Samwell getting so much screen time during the seasons would actually amount to something.. but he was just pretty useless overall wasnt he?