Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Moderators

The name of the book that was written was the only thing that too far for me. Otherwise I was happy enough with it. Greyworm not having any idea what the fuck to do once he no longer had a leader is pretty consistent with his character. He's not a decision maker, he was just the head of an army with no queen, far from the nearest thing they could possibly call home. (The Dothraki of course continuing to be able to phase shift in and out of existence as the needs of the story dictates).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Arya's ending has spinoff written all over it.

Doesn't it just?! Arya is going to explore America and I'll for it! Seriously, I'd love this as a spin-off.

8 hours ago, JohnnyChimpo said:

Speaking of Wildlings north of the wall - didnt they get given "The Gift" as an area for them to live in, land to farm etc?

I don't think they want it do they? It's not 'proper north'. I'm sure there was a conversation with Tormund at some point who alluded to this.

I loved this episode, I really did. Lots of unexpected things, which is good as things were looking predictable, but not ridiculous unexpected things. Didn't see Jon killing Dany in that scene coming, took be completely by surprise given there was an hour left. Really liked the visuals leading up to that point- the Unsullied lining up as she arrives as conqueror and all that.

SAMWELL DELIVERED ASOIAF! Shame he didn't break the fourth wall and wink to the camera as we discussed earlier in this thread but I fucking loved the shameless cheesiness of it. I can imagine the David's sitting in a meeting with GRRM. "Are you sure we have to fit this in?"

I laughed when I realised Edmure Tully was sitting there! The massive loser. Where on earth has he been all this time?! And it took me a while to realise Robin Arryn was there too. I wonder if he's still on the teat. I'm not fussed either way about Bran, but that's mainly because I reached the point last week where I couldn't really give a shit who ended up on the throne. It just seems of little importance now.

I really liked Jon's ending to be honest. Any outcome with him dying, being King of the North or King of Seven Kingdoms was boring to me, so I liked this. Nice callback to how free he felt when he was knocking about with Mance Rayder, and Tormund telling him he would become a proper Northerner.

Now I'm feeling frivolous I'm going to wade through Twitter and various comments sections for some fun to see all the nerds crying.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Also, how fucking ridiculous did the other Lords look when Sansa chose independence? Even if we weirdly accept their desire to stay part of the United Kingdom of Westeros, surely they’d at least have gone ‘well, take your crippled weirdo with you... Starks can’t take every seat!

Yeah, that bit made me smile.

"Bran should be king, yeah?"

"Yep."

"Yep."

"Yep."

"Sorry, no. We're going to be independent."

"Wait... Was that an option? Can I change my vote?"

Also, thousands of years of independence and they haven't come up with a better name than "The North"?

• Awards Moderator
5 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

DOWNVOTE, that was the best

tumblr_ovdsc2oQ1B1qz72sno1_r1_400.gif.9e1dcc98945bb4c1522864162e2b4cdf.gif

Could have been bettered by Sam saying “that’s just the first few volumes, he’s not finished writing the rest”. Then barrelling the camera in a Paddington-esque hard stare.

My take on the Wildling's is that they only went south because they were left with no choice, and even then getting them together was a massive ball ache.

They probably would have settled for a nice plot of land as a last resort, but their hearts were never truly into it and the "true" North is where they belonged. And they took their chance to return home.

What a sensational show over 8 seasons. Never a bad episode. The last 2 seasons perhaps needed 10 episodes to flesh them out and keep the same stylistic feel, but it was still brilliant. 

The season 8 soundtrack is on Spotify and sounding fantastic. Really like the Serj Tankian version of The Rains of Castamere they've stuck on there as well. 

34 minutes ago, What? said:

What a sensational show over 8 seasons. Never a bad episode. The last 2 seasons perhaps needed 10 episodes to flesh them out and keep the same stylistic feel, but it was still brilliant. 

The season 8 soundtrack is on Spotify and sounding fantastic. Really like the Serj Tankian version of The Rains of Castamere they've stuck on there as well.

Was hoping that would surface eventually. There was a live video doing the rounds for a while, but no studio version seemed forthcoming. I really liked the version of the main theme as Dany entered the throne room i this last episode too.

The Night King piece from Episode 3 has been out for a couple of weeks already. The music was one thing that was consistently excellent throughout the entire run of the show

Edited by WyattSheepMask

6 hours ago, gmoney said:

Nice to think that King's Landing will have disabled access from now on, very progressive. 

A cripple as king, a dwarf as his hand, a queen of the north and a girl saving the world. 

The icing on the cake would have been Greyworm being offed instead of Missendai, and she leading the Unsullied back home. 

It wasn’t a spectacular episode but it rounded off things enough that I enjoyed it. I would have loved an episode or two watching Dany liberating various cities, dragging Jon along for the ride until he eventually goes “Nah, don’t fancy this any more Aunty Dany” and offs her but it goes against his nature too much so I accept it wouldn’t have worked.

Bran still saying he doesn’t want to be king after delivering his “Why do you think I travelled down here line” felt like a massive contradiction, like, I don’t want the job but I’ll be a super smug prick that I’ve got the gig and you haven’t.

That shot of Dany with the dragon wings was fucking beautiful too.

• Paid Members

The ending was good, after some wonky rushing to get there. All the good people got what they wanted, even Varys in death. And I particularly liked the look on Grey Worm's face as they argued about who was going to be king - like, FUCK ALL THIS SHIT.