Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

Oh, boy. It’s going to take a particularly big pair of rose tinted glasses for even me to defend that.

After Dany bit the big one, it just seemed to disintegrate. There was no plan to bind it together.

Murderous Greyworm brought his prisoner out in chains only to allow him to handpick the King who would pardon him. Eh?

Let me sleep on it. I’ll try and find some positivity, but by the time they were doing a whiparound of the Stark kids at the end I’d stopped giving half a shit.

They knew Bran was the ‘Rey Mysterio with the big boy belt’ choice, too. The minute they counted three that title meant nothing. Bran just flounced around acting smug, which didn’t make any sense whatsoever.

Just give it Jon for Christ’s sake. Let the babyface take the win. Send the casual fans home happy.

Also, how fucking ridiculous did the other Lords look when Sansa chose independence? Even if we weirdly accept their desire to stay part of the United Kingdom of Westeros, surely they’d at least have gone ‘well, take your crippled weirdo with you... Starks can’t take every seat!

One thing I do love is that the show took a punt on a cast of child actors at the start, and the kid that was the absolute worst took the crown.

I hope it’s George Martin pulling their pants down, and when his book comes out he’s put the babyface over. 

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I was a little disappointed at Bran being chosen, but Sansa taking the North made it more bearable. 

Once Bran and the gang were sitting at the table, I warmed more to it. They're good people (in a way) and having that humerous dialogue helped to accept that good people ruling is what it needed to draw a line under it. Really, the problem is the actor playing Bran is fucking dull. That's what takes the shine off of it. 

Jon never wanted to be King of the North, let alone the Seven Kingdoms. Him becoming king would have made less sense. He's gone to live out his day's with his winter chums. 

Arya never fit in with the whole royalty thing, so her going on an adventure is also quite fitting. 

Overall I'm not dissatisfied. It could have been better I guess, and I will totally understand those that won't like it. 

Ironically I think this season could have done with a couple of extra episodes. There were couple of bits that seemed a bit rushed. Maybe it will come off better with a binge watch. 

• Paid Members

Bran came off a super smug prick there. Last episode he said he didn't want anything. Some one should have just asked him about 4 seasons ago who was gonna end up on the Throne. Would have saved a lot of time and effort. 

Ghost finallly getting that pat on the head was nice. The ending we all wanted. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

Happy with where everyone ultimately ended up, if a little underwhelmed by how they got there. Agree that a few more episodes would have helped.

The rush job of dealing with Dany's death was the weakest point by a wide margin. Oh and shoe horning the book title in was cringy as fuck.

Arya's ending has spinoff written all over it.

Sansa as Queen of the North is a good payoff.

Took brass balls to make Bran king. The kind of balls I can respect.

Jon riding off into the woods with the Wildlings and Ghost was a lovely final shot. Got the impression that he was fucking off for good with them, but could be wrong or the scene was being deliberately vague.

Sir Bronn of Fancy Titles I raise a glass to you.

Tyrion will never catch a break.

Brianne writing/finishing Jamie's story was a nice touch.

Overall I've seen better and worse.

• Paid Members

It was fine. Not everything worked but I'd say just enough did. The world is in a slightly better position than it was at the start, which is a victory if sorts. If they had a few more episodes to more effectively lay the groundwork for the big events of the season I think it would have been a very strong season. 

This felt more like an epilogue than a fully fledged finale to me, but this whole season has felt a little ‘off’ to me. I can get behind the ideas they went with (evil Dany, Bran on the throne) but the whole thing felt too damn rushed. They needed more episodes, perhaps even one extra season, to let these stories develop. 

Watched the final scene again and Jon definitely isn't going back imo. From the moment the gate closed he was done with all the bullshit.

Probably my favourite character ending. Gets to live a quiet life in the wilderness while everyone else has to deal with the politics and rebuilding, also ties into his conversation with Tormund just before the attack on Kings Landing.

Jon might be my favourite character actually.

Loved the Iron Throne burning.

• Paid Members

That was a bit fucking dull wasn't it? There was SO little drama to it all after that ace nazi Danny bit. I don't really have a problem with where everyone ended up I guess but it was just so lifeless and dull.

I don't need action scenes exactly but I do need gravitas and epic drama. (Slowly pumping up the theme song as characters go for a walk doesn't count)

It was just abit meh. Which probably means it was actually pretty crap. I feel a little sad that GOT's gone out with a whimper rather than a bang. Didn't hate it by any means but I certainly didn't get any satisfaction either.

• Paid Members

I don't know what to think of that, the bang I suppose was last week, I think the necessity of another season was quite telling. The fall of Dany and the end of the Targaryn line (ish) could have been a whole other 6 episodes. 

I do feel somewhat let down by the build of so much that just never came to really anything. I was one of the few that enjoyed the Bran arc, but it just stopped going anywhere, and this almighty power that he became turned to fuck all.

At least Ghost was happy. 

• Paid Members

It was fine. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. It really could’ve done with an extra episode as this season has been rushed from the get go. 

Had to laugh when Bran said “I wouldn’t have travelled all this way”. Smug prick. 

I felt more sad for a CGI dragon trying to wake Dany up than I did for Tyrion and Jaime’s goodbye last week and then Tyrion finding Jaime and Cersei’s bodies this week. 

At the end, all it it left me wanting was to know where Drogon had gone and wanting more small council meetings. 

• Moderators

That's why Ghost didn't get his good boy pats the other week.

Can we bookwank a bit now? No reason not to.

It's a shame the legacy is going to be people pretending the last season was worse than Come Back, Mrs Noah. Much of today's moaning is about where the characters ended up, like the showrunners fucked it, but that's the one thing that was straight from GRRM. He had to give them that information at the beginning, just from a legal standpoint, in case he fucking died or something. While there will be significant differences when the next two books come out, if the "HBO ruined it!" people think the way it pans out is gonna be different, they're on a hiding to nothing. If anything, there'll end up being more red herrings than the show. I mean, since he never showed up on TV, we know

Griff doesn't take the throne and is a fake

so that's hundreds of pages that lead to nothing if you're looking at it that way.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

It was fine. It wasn't bad at all, and it had some top moments. It was quite a satisfying ending. I think this season was a 'moments' one. The overall story wasn't great but you'll remember some of those great moments for a long while. I've already seen some bitching about it, but fuck that. At this point anything they did would have been bitched about.