Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Paid Members

"So, Arya Stark, you've just killed the Night King and saved an entire continent's people, then survived a city being torched by a mad Targaryen and her dragon. What are you going to do now?"

"Well, I'm going to Disneyland!"

• Paid Members
On 5/14/2019 at 2:09 PM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

[I hope] Arya survives and gets a spin off.

That was all I really wanted, I've said before I'm not really into endings for characters I like so her going off to become Jack Sparrow is great, I hope we see it one day.

Episode felt incredibly rushed, deciding to kill Dany should have been something that snow was being tortured by for a whole series. Like others said it's kind of what I wanted to happen but way too fast. Couldn't believe Dany was just suddenly stabbed and dead and gone in seconds, it was like something out of a school play. Actually laughed at Bran being the chosen one as well.

Best visual of the season had to be the Clegane bros spear to hell surely?

Thanks lads for being the only place it was tolerable to read about GOT online and goodbye forever Neil.

I thought this would be rubbish but it made me miss the show already (could've done with a tit or arse shot though)

https://mobile.twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1130529632061710336

A Song of Statistics and Fandom, or The Long Hissyfit: How IMDB Users Threw A Monumental Strop as I like to call it. (Spoiler tagged for length, correct at time of writing)

Season 1

* Average Rating for Season as a whole - 9.1 from an average of 26,371 Contributors

* Highest Rated Episode - E9 (Baelor), 9.6 from 32,226 Contributors

* Lowest Rated Episode  - E3 (Lord Snow) - 8.7 from 24,484 Contributors

Season 2

* Average Rating for Season as a whole - 9.0 from an average of 22,678 Contributors

* Highest Rated Episode - E9 (Blackwater) - 9.7 from 35,895 Contributors

* Lowest Rated Episode - E2 (The Night Lands) - 8.6 from 20,903 Contributors

Season 3

* Average Rating for Season as a whole - 9.1 from an average of 27,416 Contributors

*Highest Rated Episode - E9 (The Rains of Casteramere) - 9.9 from 79,591 Contributors

* Lowest Rated Episode - E2 (Dark Wings, Dark Words) - 8.7 from 20,022 Contributors

Season 4

* Average Rating for Season as a whole - 9.3 from an average of 30,649 Contributors

* Highest Rated Episode - Eps 2 (The Lion and the Rose),6 (The Laws of Gods and Men),8 (The Mountain and The Viper) and 10 (The Children) - all rated 9.7, E2 with most Contributors (42,486)

* Lowest Rated Episode - E5 (First of HIs Name) - 8.8 from 20,536 Contributors

Season 5

* Average Rating for Season as a whole - 8.9 from an average of 30,138 Contributors

* Highest Rated Episode - E8 (Hardhome) - 9.9 from 80,993 Contributors

* Lowest Rated Episode - E6 (Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken) - 8.1 from 23,570

Season 6 

* Average Rating for Season as a whole - 9.1 from an average of 56,802 Contributors

* Highest Rated Episode - Eps 9 Battle of the Bastards) and 10 (The Winds of Winter) - both 9.9, E9 with most Contributors (175,432)

* Lowest Rated Episode - Eps 6 (Blood of My Blood) and 8 (No One) - both 8.5, E8 with most Contributors (30,145)

Season 7 

* Average Rating for Season as a whole - 9.2 from an average of 47,325 Contributors

* Highest Rated Episode - E4 (The Spoils of War) - 9.8 from 73,543 Contributors

* Lowest Rated Episode - E1 (Dragonstone) - 8.7 from 42,478 Contributors

Season 8

* Average Rating of Episodes 1,2 and 3 - 7.9 from an average of 122,346 Contributors

Arya Saves The World

* Average rating of Episodes 4,5 and 6 - 5.5 from an average of 137,895 Contributors

* Average Rating for Season as a whole - 6.7 from an average of 130,121 Contributors

* Highest Rated Episode - E2 (A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms) - 8.1 from 95,644

* Lowest Rated Episode - E6 (The Iron Throne) - 4.4 from 143,579 Contributors

In Conclusion - 70 episodes of "This is the greatest thing ever!" > Girl saves the world > 3 Episodes of "This is terrible, the whole show is ruined! Remake the final series with 'compatent writers" 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Got to say it’s been a pleasure reading all the posts on here about this show.

very balanced discussion unlike other places like digital spy where negative discussion has dominated and people who praised it have been shouted down. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

A Song of Statistics and Fandom, or The Long Hissyfit: How IMDB Users Threw A Monumental Strop as I like to call it. (Spoiler tagged for length, correct at time of writing)

Hide contents

In Conclusion - 70 episodes of "This is the greatest thing ever!" > Girl saves the world > 3 Episodes of "This is terrible, the whole show is ruined! Remake the final series with 'compatent writers" 

Reads like an absolute ton more people watched the last series than have watched it since the start so huge swathes of those ratings can be attributed to people not knowing what's going on, or why they should care. Jesus, I hate a bandwaggon.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Reads like an absolute ton more people watched the last series than have watched it since the start so huge swathes of those ratings can be attributed to people not knowing what's going on, or why they should care. Jesus, I hate a bandwaggon.

Nah I don't think that's it at all, I think the increased number of contributors is natural because you're more likely to moan about something than praise about something these days. Those moaning about it are likely to be those that have watched the show throughout, but are crying because it isn't ending how THEY wanted it to.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You're really banging that drum about how you think the reaction is all down to Arya being a girl, @WyattSheepMask. Have you got anything to substantiate that being the sole / dominant variable? 

Yeah I'm not buying that. I definitely agree there is a fandom backlash against the number of high profile female roles in the latest Star Wars movies, and there are other similar examples, but to be honest GoT fans seem to love Arya so I don't think that's it. I think the backlash is 100% down to how things aren't playing out how they've mapped it out in their heads. It's not your fucking story, it's GRRM's. Deal with it.

3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You're really banging that drum about how you think the reaction is all down to Arya being a girl, @WyattSheepMask. Have you got anything to substantiate that being the sole / dominant variable? 

Without throwing myself down the rabbit hole, which I'm sure you wouldn't have an issue with, you can pretty much pinpoint that event happening to the en-mass online negativity that has followed since. Would the reaction have been the same had Jon Snow killed the Night King? Maybe, maybe not, who knows. No doubt they had build it up as Jon vs. Night King, so was it just down to the fact that it was a different character that killed the Night King, be that male or female? We'll never know, but the card that was dealt was that a girl saved the day and a shit-tonne of people gave out about it. Maybe if they remake the final series with their "competent writers" and have Jamie do the deed, then maybe the reaction would be different. I mean, that's not going to happen so all we're doing is dealing in hypotheticals

• Moderators

Ok so that's a no, then. I was genuinely wondering if there was a solid reason you made that inference. Like I've said before I don't use social media and don't discuss this show anywhere except here and with mates / family. From my limited discussions no-one had a problem with Arya making the kill, but they were upset that the night king was jobbed out so easily.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

So basically 100k (out of a world wide audience of close to 100m) little bitches have decided to sabotage the IMDB scores? This is more heinous than burning a city of innocent civilians with a dragon as far as I'm concerned. Dany didnt get her dream ending and neither did they. 

Honestly, who on earth gives a shit about IMDB scores? I used to work with a guy who’s default reaction to “Have you seen...?” was “No, but it’s got X out of 10 on IMDB” as if this would somehow change my opinion on said film.

I honestly don’t care what anyone else thinks about anything else. I enjoy reading these posts, and certain reviews but it in no way colours whether I’m going to watch something.