Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

It's a good point but they didn't establish any of that progression. We spent years  watching this arc that seemed to lead to the points of ditching Cercei to fight "for the living", knighting Brienne etc etc. Then he get's the info about Cercei, says he's always been a monster and fucks off back to Kings Landing as to have a tearful "we die together" scene. The points work, they do kinda make sense it's just a bit whiplashy and unfocused. It's the same as Dany burning the fuck out of everything.

I disagree. It's always been there and has played a vital part of every decision he has made and the show has constantly gone back to it. Tyrion even made mention in episode 2 of this season that Jamie has always known Cersei was a monster but loved her anyway.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I've seen a lot of people saying Euron was a pointless character who had no depth or arc. He's a supporting villain, a plot device. He's fuckin' Keamy from Lost season 4. He's just a bad guy who fucks stuff up, not everyone needs this whole massive story or depth.

Ralph Cifaretto was a supporting villain in the Sopranos, but I remember him fondly because he was brilliantly acted and written. I can't say the same for Euron, who was rehash of ego-maniacal psychopaths from previous seasons played by an actor who didn't have any presence. 

31 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

@SuperBaconWhy did you have to ruin it?

Well, he did linger around the top for a bit, threaten to reign but ultimately did fuck all and was made up with his big scalp. He's got a 'Best of Killing Jaime Lannister" dvd coming out at Christmas.

9 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Well, he did linger around the top for a bit, threaten to reign but ultimately did fuck all and was made up with his big scalp. He's got a 'Best of Killing Jaime Lannister" dvd coming out at Christmas.

His stabs to Jaime were him going 1-0 up, only for said Lannister to Mo Salah him at the end 

45 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I disagree. It's always been there and has played a vital part of every decision he has made and the show has constantly gone back to it. Tyrion even made mention in episode 2 of this season that Jamie has always known Cersei was a monster but loved her anyway.

Oh I totally agree it was in character. It just feels like someone showed me half the scenes from Jaime's story this season. They didn't give the actor much room to sell stuff so we just get events, "sex with Brienne" "back to Cercei". Those things made sense as action but the show made no attempt to frame them within what Jaime might thinking. The actor said something pretty similar in an interview

Coster-Waldau is sympathetic: “We’re used to having a whole season to get to a point. Now suddenly, a lot of things happen very quickly.” The actor says he has to fill in a lot of the details for himself

Now if you skimp on telling the story people are likely to stick in their own intepretations "HE HATES CERCEI, BRIENNE 4 JAIME 4 EVA!" kinda shit. That's going to lead to pissy fans but it's not entirely on them

If Dany 'Ned Starks' Jon and has all the other Starks wiped from existence only for Tyrion to put a sword through her proving that the more things change the more they stay the same then I'll sit in front of my computer stroking my beard whilst cackling at the entitled fume for at least 10 minutes.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Ralph Cifaretto was a supporting villain in the Sopranos, but I remember him fondly because he was brilliantly acted and written. I can't say the same for Euron, who was rehash of ego-maniacal psychopaths from previous seasons played by an actor who didn't have any presence. 

Pretty much no one in Game of Thrones is as well written as half the characters in The Sopranos. 

• Paid Members

12 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Pretty much no one in Game of Thrones is as well written as half the characters in The Sopranos. 

True, but it's not enough to say "its only an end of level boss, it didn't have to be good." (paraphrased) There were other  characters minor and major in the show that were excellent and memorable; Joffrey, Alistair Thorne, King Rob, the Viper, Stannis, to name just a few of the top of my head. I just think it's not really any sort of defence. It's not like he didn't have enough screen time. 

He always felt so tacked on, and unnecessarily wacky just for the sake of it. I saw people saying "hahaha mad bastard!" and my reaction was, this character sucks and the acting is poo. 

I think he was there because LADS