Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Does anyone think the letter Varys burnt was a red herring and that he has already sent the actual one to someone important?

I took those scenes as he'd already sent loads of letters out on ravens (he had a stack already written and rolled in the first scene, where the kid had been trying to poison Dany), and he was just burning the latest one he'd written.

Also, regarding how quickly Rhaegal got killed by the bolts, as well as the element of surprise, he was still fucked up from the Battle of Winterfell, with holes in his wings. There was that scene where they suggested letting him recover from his injuries before they took to King's Landing, but they rushed off instead.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

Robert Baratheon was right all along then - should have topped Dany in Season 1.

Belting episode, great payoff to all the long, long storylines.  Anyone complaining about GoT at this point has really not been paying attention.  War is hell, people.  I'm now trying to work out what the darkest ending is, I'd like to see the series end on a proper "oof" moment so the nerds can lose their shit over it.

• Moderators
Just now, Loki said:

Robert Baratheon was right all along then - should have topped Dany in Season 1.

Belting episode, great payoff to all the long, long storylines.  Anyone complaining about GoT at this point has really not been paying attention.  War is hell, people.  I'm now trying to work out what the darkest ending is, I'd like to see the series end on a proper "oof" moment so the nerds can lose their shit over it.

Bran warging into Arya's white horse and Catherine the Great-ing her.

I think Tyrion is a contender for the Throne now.

I actually wonder whether Tyrion suggesting Dany/Jon getting married to unite the North/South is a foreshadowing of him taking the Iron Throne (well, having Jon hand it to him) and marrying Sansa (marriage of convenience or not) and uniting the Seven Kingdoms. Hell, Jon could fuck off North to Tormund and Ghost and become the King of the North-North. Unite the entire continent.

The Golden Company are the Shockmaster of this show. Big build up...then completely shat the bed.

Arya to kill the Night King AND the Mad Queen? I don't see it. 

I also can't see Sansa killing her either. 

I think she'll off herself in a moment of realisation and grief. Maybe after Dullworm gets got because of another shit decision. 

Jon to take the Throne in an effort to repent and repay for the innocents killed at Kings Landing. Sansa to become Queen of the North.

Echo everything in this thread really. The best thing I've read on another forum was some virgin complaining that dragonfire now makes buildings collapse - as though there's some real life reference point for this.

The only minor gripe I had was how Cersei died - I'm in the camp of wanting someone to properly fuck her up. She almost died with dignity, in the arms of the man she loved. I wanted her to get her comeuppance good and proper.

Right, I'm off to research the properties of dragonfire.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

some virgin complaining that dragonfire now makes buildings collapse - as though there's some real life reference point for this.

It's kinda funny, I spent much of the episode thinking that the dragonfire was shown to be underpowered (I'm thinking people running around on fire going "AHHHHH!" rather than instantly destroyed) cos in my mind, they'd fairly well established early on that the reason the Targeryans had conquered all the kingdoms in the first place was that they had these weapons that pretty much liquified stone on contract, meaning fortresses were pointless. I'm probably misremembering though.

In terms of where we go from here, I reckon:

- Jon confronts Danyerys about going mad & killing folks

- Dany realises that not only is Jon not on her side anymore, that if he's dead she's number 1 heir again

- Dany goes after Jon but ends up dead (I think she takes Grey Worm with her to do the deed & Arya ends up running in to kill him, distracting Dany so Jon can roll her up for the three count)

- As the dust settles, Tyrion et al are like "well, you're king now Jon", and Jon will be all noble and go like "Nah, the people are better off not knowing the truth. Plus the approval rating for Targaryan governments is pretty low right now anyway, so..."

- Jon decides he's gonna go off and live a quiet life in secrecy, probably in the proper North with Ghost & Thormund like @d-d-d-dAz suggested. But before he goes, his one act before abdication is...

- Because he holds the lifestyle of the free folk in such high esteem & had a lot of fun hanging out with them before, we're gonna let everyone in Westeros be free. Obviously they need a bit of looking after so Tyrion, you're now protector (not Lord) of this bit, Sansa in the North, Gendry in your bit, Davos & Bronn too etc etc. (As it won't now be a Lord & Lady situation, Arya decides she's happy to go with Gendry and get married and help him out cos he's near useless and whatnot)

- Dragon melts the throne, decision is made not to rebuild King's Landing cos no-one really liked it anyway.

- Bran drops some knowledge on the whole world that ensures future peace in this new system like, I dunno, "the Night King is really scared of happy thoughts so as long as you're all happy and don't start wars with each other he'll never ever bring winter back again". (Bran's surely gotta do something impactful in the final ep otherwise his whole character arc has been nothing more than filler...)

- Brienne and Pod decide to ride off together in search of future adventures, and set the scene for a possible spin-off if HBO get short on cash

- Final scene is Jon leaving Winterfell to head off to his new life in the real North. Emotional goodbye to his buddy Sam, to whom he suggests a really good chronicle of all this could be written by the right author. Probably sell millions...

Thought that was a spectacular episode. Legitimately chewed most of my fingernails off in the build up to the battle. The building of the tension was masterful, those shots of the armies lined up were stunning.

The shots of the dragon destroying all the buildings and just murdering everyone were probably some of the best things they’ve ever done, particularly the ones from Cersei’s viewpoint.

Jamie vs Euron was ok, would have liked Euron to have lasted longer but you can’t have it all. Cleganmageddon was what I wanted though, the eye gouge, the zombie reveal, “FUUUCKING DIEEEEEE” and then crashing through the wall to their deaths was a great and fitting end for both characters.

Dany going full heel and John realising everything had gone tits up was great, as was the subtle heelish look from Greyworm.

Only frustrating thing for me was Super Arya which convinced me it won’t be her killing Dany. I’d like it to be Tyrion now who offs her but I’d also go for him and Dany squaring off, Dany being close to killing Tyrion and Bronn coming in for the save with the crossbow and taking her out now he can’t get his payday from Cersei.

I wonder if the thing that’s winding folk up is how quickly these big events are happening. Episode 1 was pretty much a quick catchup recap and a bit throwaway, 2 was perfection, battle with the walkers and death of Night King done all in episode three, 4 as a palette cleanser of sorts and then the death of Cersei and dragons fucking up Kings Landing all in episode 5. I don’t mind it, they’re longer episodes and dragging events over two episodes might be way too much but I do wonder if the two big battles had gone over two episodes each and more of a build up to Night King and Cersei’s deaths the fanboys would be moaning less. Then again they’d still piss and moan about something so fuck ‘em.

• Moderators

Jon is definitely going to confront Danerys with words before taking any action. They've set that precedent very clearly (as well as the one where he never learns from his mistakes). He's such an idiot.

I wish Jamie had died the pathetic death he deserved, strangled and stabbed by Euron, with Cersei never knowing he came back for her, so she also died alone and scared.

• Paid Members

I like the fact that somehow they made you feel for Cersei - the biggest monster throughout the show - during her death. Really kept to their 'shades of grey' philosophy. Plus, somebody going out like that once in a while isn't bad rather than a convenient death, like the Euron one.

But my boy didn't go down with a whimper, delivering his line (I'm the man that killed Jaime Lannister) in true Euron fashion.