Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Paid Members

Thought this was proper bollocks this week. Felt like fan fiction a lot of times, Jamie banging Brienne, Arya and the Hound teaming up for one last adventure, Bronn and his ridiculous threat. And I missed the fucking cup.Ā 

• Moderators
23 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Ā 

I hateļ»æļ»æļ»æ the internet sometimesĀ 

I really don't understand why people do this. No-one on this forum is being a dick about it or even having that conversation. You are the only person who brought it up. Why not just enjoy the fact that this is one of the safe havens on the internet where you don't have to talk this kind of shite.Ā 

Ā 

Anyway. That was fun. Straight back to the politics now we're done with the zombies. I hated Dany so much this episode; Tyrion really is in denial. Good to see Euron getting some licks in. Jamie is pathetic. Bronn was funny, but that scene was very silly. Not a great episode all in all, but it had its moments.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I'm struggling to understand why Cersie didn't kill Tyrion. She literally sent someone to kill him and Jamie, and there he is with multiple archers waiting to chuck some arrows into him and she calls it off. I don't get it.

Also, how the fuck did Dany with her dragons eye view not see a fleet of ships? They could clearly see her.Ā 

A bit of shoddy writing this week, but I still enjoyed it overall. Especially "which one of you cowards shit in my pants?". Tormund needs his own spinoff.Ā 

• Paid Members

Might be a bit of a calculation - Missandei was a captive, and chopping her block off might not result into Drogon spitting liquid napalm on the city twenty seconds later. Tyrion was her hand, sent to negotiate, and doing him in would be a massive breach, with the Lannister name already associated with the Red Wedding and her nuking the big sept (izzat common knowledge?)

My stomach was in knots for Tyrion.Ā First I thought Varys was going to do him in then i thought he was getting skewered Ɨ500. The longer he lives the more hopeful i am that he gets the top job. Hopefully with Jon abdicating and heading home.

This might sound really dumb and I might have missed something but surely Dany and the dragon, after sidestepping those big bolts couldā€™ve just circled round the back of those ships and burnt them to shit?

Its not like they can 180 those things to point at them at the rear quickly is it?

Brienne made me sad, bless her

The giant crossbows were generally a really bad introduction. Ā Ludicrously accurate, apparently almost insta-loading, they felt like a cheap way of getting round the fact that with 2 dragons, Dany was otherwise going to walk it in.

Otherwise I enjoyed the episode, everybody getting straight back into politics. Ā None of us really know how this is going to end, you've got half a dozen genuine contenders for the Iron Throne. Ā I'm presuming both Cersei and Dany will die, and so my assumption is that Sansa will end up Queen, as it'd be a bit of a cop out to have two powerful women contending for the throne for season after season only to give it to a man at the 11th hour.

When youā€™re a pop culture-loving person of colour you learn to take the character wins where you can, but on Game of Thrones the losses just keep piling up. There is barely a brown person left alive in the long-running fantasy series ā€“ and after the broadcast of season eight, episode four, yet another of the few minority ethnic characters became an expendable casualty of the writersā€™ room.

ā€œSo,ā€ director Ava DuVernayĀ tweeted in responseĀ to the death of Missandei (Nathalie Emmanuel). ā€œThe one and only sister on the whole epic, years-long series? Thatā€™s what you wanna do? Okay.ā€

The disposability of POCs in Game of Thrones is something that weā€™ve had to get used to. Bye Khal Drogo! Laters, Oberyn! Farewell, Dothraki horde! See you on the other side, Sand Snakes! This is a show with a high kill count, of course, but, when there are already so few black or brown characters, seeing them drop like flies at the hands of white characters, in service to other white characters, makes it all the more frustrating.

Some fans will bang on about George RR Martinā€™s show being based on British medieval history as a reason for the lack of POC characters, or that they exist merely as slaves or barbaric deviants ā€“ but itā€™s not actually a historical show, is it, friends? Itā€™s a fantasy filled with fire-breathing dragons, the walking dead and a kid who can make like Professor X and take control of the minds of animals or Hodors.

At this point, is it really too much to ask for some fan service paid to the brown characters for once? Brienne was made a knight, little Lyanna Mormont went out a giant-killing hero, and the Arya-Gendry hook-up was a YA dream. But for the only speaking characters of colour left in the show, Martin and the writers chose not to give them any sort of fist-pumping triumph, just devastation. Again.

So if this is the fate that awaits the non-white characters of the Game of Thrones successor shows, then, in Daenerysā€™ and Missandeiā€™s own fiery words, I have just one thing to say to them:Ā dracarys.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2019/may/06/how-game-of-thrones-has-got-it-in-for-people-of-colour?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium=&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1557179385Ā 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Oh and my shit theory, that new unseen Dornish Prince will take the throne at the last second somehow.

I don't think this Dornish Prince is even getting a name, let alone an appearance. Dorne has been shafted completely- they've been made out to be virtually worthless and weak.

5 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

New theory, The Golden Company are there under orders from the Iron Bank. They will turn on Cersie as the Bank want a new monarch who can stabilise the realm and repay them.

Yeah, I've had that thought bubbling under for- well since forever. Probably the first time they met Cersei. They supposedly never break a contract, though.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Jamie is pathetic.

I'm calling it now- he's killing Cersei.

My fantasy booking:

Cersi has The Mountain kill Brienne for shits to wind up Jamie. HeĀ then kills CersiĀ in a ā€œthe things we do for loveā€/queenslayer way.Ā 

This makes Jon the new king. Daeny has a massive strop about it and kills Jon to make her the rightful queen again.Ā ArayaĀ uses her Jedi ninja skills to kills Daeny and avengeĀ her brothers death, fulfilling the brown/blue/green eyes prophecy from earlier because green is the colour of envy (geddit?...guys?).Ā 

Cleganebowl. The Hound finally does it but gets pretty battered in doing so. Araya finally puts him out of his misery.Ā 

Sansa becomes queen but still doesnā€™t crack a smileĀ at all and I continue my newly formed infatuation with her. Tyrion as hand of the queen. Araya in the queens guard or something.Ā 

Sam spends the rest of his days reading books, having kidsĀ and becoming the smartest motherfucker in the land. Iā€™m a full on Samwell Tarly apologists. Fuck you all.Ā 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I'm all for the 'Samwell is GRRM' theory and for the final scene to end with him copying the Stephen J Cannell closing credits. Imagine the uproar!

NextCircularFlamingo-size_restricted.gif.6bbc9f8f852b72535d3100607d65c62b.gif

That was the ending of my ā€œBran does the final episode of Byker Groveā€ storylineĀ