Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

How fucking shit have the character arcs been for those Dothraki warriors though?  From roaming free on the grassy plains and fucking like dogs, to having your face eaten off in the freezing depths of winter in the bleak North.

Great, great episode.  I was right about them wrapping up the whole Night King early, but it wasn't an anticlimax at all.  Apart from the fact that fat Sam somehow survived all the slaughter again.  I swear he's invincible.

• Paid Members

It wasn't until Jon was still fucking about with that dragon and while Bran was having a staring competition with the Night King that I twigged...

tenor.gif.e291339cb8a9bdf91fd9da768292c483.gif

OH SHIT IT'S GOING TO BE ARYA!

That was incredible. About halfway through the episode I was comparing it to Battle of the Bastards and Watchers on the Wall unfavourably, but then business picked up. Lyanna killing the giant, the Arya library scene, the wonderfully scored final 20 minutes (which began with that touching moment with Tyrion and Sansa) and then Arya cementing her position as the GOT GOAT. Surprised there wasn't really any major babyface deaths, the biggest was probably Jorah Friendzone.

• Paid Members

I thought that music was the prelude to Tyrion and Sansa going all Butch & Sundance, really got me. 

I made the mistake of rewatching the whole show, but not getting it all done before the start of the series, so I’ve been interspersing series. I feel altogether too invested, so seeing some of them die is going to be knackering

• Paid Members

It was massively impressive, but it kinda felt different to how GOT treats its characters. Everyone was expecting a mass slaughter of our favourites, but outside of a few, the big hitters all survived where it seems like the majority should be dead. They were seemingly backed against a wall by the Whites for half an episode, teetering on the brink of death. That last 5 minutes I just couldn't picture what was gonna happen, then Arya had me jumping out of my seat at the end. Fantastic. 

Happy that we're back on track for the Throne. The Walkers were an interesting wrinkle, but I've had enough of Zombies on TV to last me a lifetime. Last night's was a bit too Walking Dead in places. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

I was having a chat with my wife while we watched this last night and we were expecting a top tier character to go, but with three episodes left it makes way more sense to clear out the midcard first. All the characters who were bumped off had fitting ends to their character arcs, and it made sense to tie up those loose ends now in order to leave more time for the battle for the iron throne.  Also, if you kill off a major character here, I'm not sure Arya killing the Night King has quite the same impact. 

Also, CLEGANEBOWL IS STILL ON!

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

How long until the usual mob cry because a ewww girl saved the day?

Considering that we spent 7 years supporting Queen Daenerys as the rightful claimant to the Iron Throne only for them to lamp us with "sorry girl, its actually this gruff northern MAN" I'd say that should be evened out.

Also Arya's been one of the baddest ass characters in it so it didn't feel forced or agenda-driven in the slightest. I've assumed since reading the fifth book for a long time that her payoff would be sneaking into Kings Landing during the last big living vs living fight and assassinating Cersei, but saving everyone was just as great if more impersonal.

Jaime to kill his sister would be nice.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Silky Kisser said:

Everyone was expecting a mass slaughter of our favourites, but outside of a few, the big hitters all survived where it seems like the majority should be dead. They were seemingly backed against a wall by the Whites for half an episode, teetering on the brink of death.

This is the big point for me. I know we expected some high profile deaths but I think the thing I really have a problem with is that doing this and then not bumping off a major character really feels like there's a lot less danger all around.

Still though, very enjoyable episode on the whole, apart from the very ineffective dragon fighting. 

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I didn't have a clue what was happening for about half of the dragon fighting. At one point Jon appeared to land on a wall and then do nothing for around 20 minutes. To be fair, that's what I'd have done. 

• Paid Members

Great episode, though too dark for parts of it. I had no clue what was going on far too often early on. I get why they chose that, but it annoyed me. 

Also, Arya was well amazing. From her taking out loads of the dead to hiding from them to finally taking out the Nights King. Brilliant. 

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

This is the big point for me. I know we expected some high profile deaths but I think the thing I really have a problem with is that doing this and then not bumping off a major character really feels like there's a lot less danger all around.

I have a feeling the next episode starts with someone, possibly Brienne, being found dead.