Sign in to follow this  
Louch

Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

The director on this episode, Miguel Sapochnik, also directed Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter, so they certainly seem to trust him with episodes with massive action scenes. He’s got one more to come which is the penultimate episode 

Yeah I fucking loved that. Seeing it 24 hours after Avengers: Endgame may have lessened the emotional impact somewhat, but in terms of the direction and acting and the score all coming together.. that was as near perfect a TV episode as I've ever seen. 

6 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

This is the big point for me. I know we expected some high profile deaths but I think the thing I really have a problem with is that doing this and then not bumping off a major character really feels like there's a lot less danger all around.

I have a feeling the next episode starts with someone, possibly Brienne, being found dead.

17 hours ago, Loki said:

Apart from the fact that fat Sam somehow survived all the slaughter again.  I swear he's invincible.

I've been pleading for him to die since Season 1.

Yeah tbh I didn't even consider that, because I assumed they wouldn't kill off one of those guys offscreen. But if it happens like this at the top of the episode then it will duo have a huge impact.

I like this theory!

Edit: re Sam, I hated him for the longest time but he did start to win me over. And then destroyed all goodwill built again in this episode.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

They could have done something a bit more interesting with Sam if they'd have shown him to be a bit more calloused and brave having been through what he's been through, and been a brave but ineffectual fighter. But no, he was a just a cowardly fat cunt again, getting in everyone's way and even causing his mates death. Not as bad a Bran, but in the same division. 

6 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

This is the big point for me. I know we expected some high profile deaths but I think the thing I really have a problem with is that doing this and then not bumping off a major character really feels like there's a lot less danger all around.

Still though, very enjoyable episode on the whole, apart from the very ineffective dragon fighting. 

Also known as doing a Glen under the dumpster.

One of the best moments I've not seen mentioned much was your unsullied boy telling the men to protect the retreat. Way more heroic than hiding on a dragon, Jon.

Edited by Mr_Danger

1 hour ago, neil said:

I have a feeling the next episode starts with someone, possibly Brienne, being found dead.

Brienne is no Blackfish, she isn't dying off camera. There was a shot of her, Pod, Jaime stood against the wall as the wights all turned to ice. The only person I didn't see in the round up at the end was Gendry, he could be a possibility. 

2 hours ago, neil said:

I've been pleading for him to die since Season 1.

But we never would have got his wonderful training montage, if died back then.

3 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Brienne is no Blackfish, she isn't dying off camera. There was a shot of her, Pod, Jaime stood against the wall as the wights all turned to ice. The only person I didn't see in the round up at the end was Gendry, he could be a possibility. 

I’m sure Gendry was on the pile of dead fighting with Tormund at the end. And in the trailer for next weeks episode Arya is about to kiss someone. And I would imagine that was him about to get round 2 with her. 

Trailer Spoiling AND Book Wanking. Oh Red, why have you done this. Fetch the rock of shame. 

Edited by Joe Blog

That last 20 minutes felt like I didn't take a breath. They did such a great job giving you hope, killing it, giving a glimmer of hope, then really killing it, only for Arya to come charging out at the end. I did twig that she was going to come in to play with Bran at the end, seeing as she vanished after her "blue eyes" speech. However, my heart skipped a beat wondering if she was about to be done when she got caught.

A brilliant bit of telly. No complaints.

Edited by ColinBollocks