DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Nice original choice there mate.

I know. Fancy choosing a film which is popular and personally made me change my feelings of black and white movies not called King Kong or Metropolis. Or Young Frankenstein of course.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

12 hours ago, DEF said:

I have a soft spot for Showgirls but I had no idea there was a Showgirls 2. I'm totally going to ignore your advice and watch it. I NEED to know.

EDIT - Ok I just looked it up and its 2hrs 25 minutes long!?! I retract my previous statement. I can't possibly put myself through that.

I think Showgirls 2 is pretty much like Basic Instinct 2, most people don't know they exist

• Paid Members

I saw Basic Instinct 2 at the cinema. I doubt Showgirls 2 ever even got shown on TV.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:45 PM, PowerButchi said:

Showgirls (Amazon Prime) 

It's fucking terrible, yet so watchable. The rape scene is OTT, abhorrent, and really doesn't fit in with the rest of the film, Gina Gershon either hands in the worst performance in history or a tremendous tongue in cheek one which makes the film for me. Jesse Spano and Kyle Mclachan thrashing about in a pool is hilarious. 

I'm a huge fan of Showgirls.  I'm about 80% certain it's a brilliant tongue-in-cheek parody of the sexploitation movie.  Given how most of Verhoeven's Hollywood movies are hugely entertaining critiques of their own genres, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Armageddon.  Stupid, over the top Michael Bay silliness but fuck me, even on the tenth or so viewing this is still great fun. I still pop for "He's got space dementia".

Deep Impact. I've only ever seen this once and it felt like a logical follow up film for a Sunday afternoon. Compared to Bruce Willis' 100mph thrill ride this is pretty dull and I found myself zoning out at times. It's got a few good moments and I'd have liked to see it in a cinema, see if a different atmosphere helped to ramp up the tension.

Terminator 2. Changed up the disaster film theme and introduced my youngest to T2 for the first time. Sidebar, my daughter once asked to watch it again but couldn't remember the title so she described it as best as possible as "that film about the story of that boy and his pet robot" and after 5 minutes of guessing said "whatshisname.....Arnold Schwarzguy is in it". This is still an absolute masterpiece. I felt so jealous of my son, seeing all those amazing set pieces for the first time, I lost count of the amount of "woahs" he did. I could watch it again now.

Edited by cobra_gordo

4 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Armageddon.  Stupid, over the top Michael Bay silliness but fuck me, even on the tenth or so viewing this is still great fun. I still pop for "He's got space dementia".

Such a dumb, great film.

My favourite story about Armageddon was when they screened half an hour or so for journalists at Cannes (???) and they were all pissing themselves during it.

Bruce came on stage and the first thing he said was "I'm glad you find the end of the world so amusing". I bet he was absolutely crushed.

The Affleck/Tyler animal cracker scene is still the cringiest thing ever.

Big Game (Amazon Prime) 

Wasn't expecting much, but it's actually a very well done  film with preposterous outcomes. Samuel L Jackson as the President who gets ejected from. Air Force One by nogoodniks and then found by a young boy learning to hunt in Finland. and follows their race to safety from sad bad guys

Touching and twee in places and utterly ridiculous in others thought it was worth a go and genuinely very enjoyable. 

Kate Nash: Underestimate The Girl (iplayer) 

Fascinating documentary showing the rise and fall of Kate Nash. Beautifully shot, especially the desert stuff and some inventive intertwining of songs and lyrics on screen to capture the narrative. 

Covers up to Glow in terms of dates and times, but was pleasantly surprised by it. 

• Paid Members

Priest (ok.ru)

Typically cheerful Jimmy McGovern story. But also really good. A superb cast with a couple of Brookie faces, of course, and a beautiful ending. A real shame Antonia Bird didn't get to direct more films.

The Assistant (Google Play)

It's arguable there won't be a more important film than this in 2020. There won't be many better either. Shows that there's still so much to do in the post-#MeToo era, as do the spammed low scores this has on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes. Julia Garner is astonishingly good in the lead.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

She's excellent in Ozarks, easilly the best of a talented cast and Macfadyen is great in Succession. That'll be tonight's viewing sorted providing the internet doesn't let me down.

Macfadyen's had a fascinating career. Regularly pops up where you're not expecting him.

I'm being bullied into watching Ozark after Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt so I'm looking forward to more of Garner. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I thought The Assistant was terrific too. Had no idea about the spammed scores on IMDB, that's depressing. 

It happens with the vast majority of films that are about these sorts of issues. The Rotten Tomatoes score is even worse - 24% audience score vs 91% critics.