DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Factotum said:

What's wrong with being this generations Nic Cage?

Nothing if you ignore the last 15 years of his career.

Well, in the last 15 years he's had these on the list:

BAD LIEUTENANT

KICK ASS

DRIVE ANGRY

JOE

MANDY

SPIDER-VERSE

Throw in some decent B Movie crime films as well. Plus he's always interesting as hell in his films. He makes shit films watchable which is a gift in itself. He's a helluva performer. He's this generations Klaus Kinski

I get the feeling that Nic Cage does whatever the hell he wants, and doesn't care about what anyone's critical opinion of him or his films are.

Tom Hardy is a desperate thesp, and a massive ham and Capone is absolutely awful. 

The Half Of It on the other hand was lovely, and another Netflix hit with the eldest. Good representation.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Throw in some decent B Movie crime films as well. Plus he's always interesting as hell in his films. He makes shit films watchable which is a gift in itself. He's a helluva performer. He's this generations Klaus Kinski

Oh come on.

As for the list you posted, Mandy and Drive Angry were shit.

I'm fine with Cage on the whole but I was bored of Crazy Cage years ago. If you keep trotting out the same sort of performance all the time then nobody can complain if he's accused of being a one trick pony. I'm even fine with him being in endless shit films because I won't watch them and I've liked plenty of films he's been in, but his charms are constantly overstated.

Don't get me wrong - I love Saint Nic of Batshittery.

My point is, Cage is always going to push and push and push, as per his loony "jazz acting" raison d'etre. The problems and shit performances seem to occur when a starstruck filmmaker using him just gives in to his worst excesses and lets him do whatever the hell he likes. With strong direction and the right material though, he's gold.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, CavemanLynn said:

Don't get me wrong - I love Saint Nic of Batshittery.

My point is, Cage is always going to push and push and push, as per his loony "jazz acting" raison d'etre. The problems and shit performances seem to occur when a starstruck filmmaker using him just gives in to his worst excesses and lets him do whatever the hell he likes. With strong direction and the right material though, he's gold.

Mandy is the very best example of this. Yet Werner Herzog harnessed it in the right narrative for Bad Lieutenant.

But then you think of Raising Arizona, which is a comedy packed full of lunatic moments and performances, he's probably the calmest thing in it. He can do it if necessary but he largely chooses not to, nor do his directors.

• Paid Members

If anything, Nic Cage being great in calmer, slower roles like Joe make his insistence on doing so much crazy shit even more frustrating. 

Tom Hardy single-handedly turned me off Peaky Blinders. The prick was everywhere at the time and I just found him and his stupid accents unbearable.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Mandy and Drive Angry were shit.

Your opinion. MANDY was well received and a critical hit. A lot of people love Drive Angry. I fucking do. He does batshit in shit films. He knows they're shit and so tries stuff. Being interesting is better than boring. That's why there is no shame in being this generations Nic Cage. He's a Caligari character made real.

• Paid Members

I used to religiously watch every Nic Cage film til 2016, I've still seen at least 5 since then but decided to catch up on the few I hadn't seen from the last 4 years, there were 16 of them! 

I still love him, I certainly prefer unique nonsense to perfection and I've always loved his self styled "Nouveau Shamanic" acting style. His problem is definitely the fact that he'll "be Nic Cage" in whatever you want for a few mil. But If that's a problem it's one most actors would love to have I'm sure.

I love Drive Angry, Season of the Witch is underrated from that period too, medieval supernatural buddy cop film with Nic and Ron Perlman.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

If anything, Nic Cage being great in calmer, slower roles like Joe make his insistence on doing so much crazy shit even more frustrating. 

You need him to do crazy shit in the bad films or they're unwatchable.

In a good film any Nic Cage is great, in a bad film Nic will at least elevate it to a spectacle if he's acting crazy but a bad film where Nic is just playing a dad in a thriller or something is the worst, he just looks like he has nothing to do. There's a film where he plays a submarine commander that's so boring I've failed to watch it to the end 4 times, if he was a submarine commander acting fucking crazy it would probably be cool.

• Paid Members

But then there's Colour Out Of Space, which had a lot of potential and was shaping up to be a really good film until it turned into yet another 'Nic Cage bug-eyes shouting a lot' movie. Him being crazy Nic Cage was to the detriment of the film.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

But then there's Colour Out Of Space, which had a lot of potential and was shaping up to be a really good film until it turned into yet another 'Nic Cage bug-eyes shouting a lot' movie. Him being crazy Nic Cage was to the detriment of the film.

First half of this film is fantastic. And then Richard Stanley let him off the leash and it just became the same old shit.