DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

41 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Strangely enough there was something that happens in Geralds Game that made me switch it off and I was really enjoying that too.

Ah, I was wondering which bit you were referring to, but this clears it up!

1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

Russell Madness (Amazon Prime) 

Still the greatest. 

Problem Child, now this. Come round tomorrow if you like, we're going to watch Dunston Checks In.

The Full Monty

Still a brilliant film, full of heart and character. Remember seeing it when it came out with my old man and being called a bummer at school. Happy days.

10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I wasn't sure. I thought it might fall under the same bus that Blade Runner 2049 did. It was a sequel to a film that was nearly 40 years old and, while widely acknowledged as a masterpiece, that doesn't seem to make much difference to the majority of the demographics that dominate cinema going now. It's also worth noting that the box office and critical reception for both the originals was lukewarm too, so there are some parallels to both sequels.

Yeah I was going to compare my reaction to Doctor Sleep to what I had with Blade Runner 2049. I went in with low expectations, feeling there wasn't any need for a sequel to one of my all-time favourite movies, and came out really pleasantly surprised. I rate both really highly as individual movies and as worthy follow ups.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah I was going to compare my reaction to Doctor Sleep to what I had with Blade Runner 2049. I went in with low expectations, feeling there wasn't any need for a sequel to one of my all-time favourite movies, and came out really pleasantly surprised. I rate both really highly as individual movies and as worthy follow ups.

Conversely, I didn't go in with low expectations to either as both directors had such a strong back catalogue behind them. But I did go in with low expectations that we would see further additions to those series as I didn't expect them to break box office records. A shame, really, there's so much room for more stories from the Blade Runner side of things and the Hallorann spin-off could have been excellent.

• Paid Members

Eighth Grade

Well this is absolutely fantastic isn't it? Loved it. I have a twelve year old daughter so as much as I found this charming it also scared the shit out of me that she is fast approaching the age of Kayla in this film. The film takes you all over the place - happiness, sadness, cringe, fear and everything in between and I enjoyed ride. The characters around the lead are all great especially Gab GABE and the cool kids doing cool things like jumping in a swimming pool with their middle fingers up. The scene with Kayla, her Dad and a banana will stay with me forever, that minute of cinema perfectly sums up fatherhood. Watched on Sky Movies.

High Life

Limped my way through this and just about made it to the end. Its strange, the film feels really slow despite a fair bit happening. Hard to explain, it just didn't work for me. It might be one of those films that works a lot better on second viewing but I don't think I will bother. Juliette Binoche is brilliant in this though, and has a great time in the "fuck box", so good for her. Watched on MUBI

Cold War

An unexpected hit! I only started to watch films in 2017 when I hit my late twenties. Before that it had been repeats of Jurassic Park and Casper. So if you had said to me a few years ago that I would really love a black and white Polish drama I would have laughed, but here we are. This is the story of two lovers who can't live with each other but can't live without each other either. Over 90 minutes it follows over a decade of this couple's journey through multiple countries, events and relationships. I really want to go into this in more detail, especially the ending, but don't want to spoil it - please check it our for yourselves. Watched on Amazon Prime. 

Oh and I also watched Frozen 2 which was crap, I can't imagine why any kid would enjoy watching it

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Oh and I also watched Frozen 2 which was crap, I can't imagine why any kid would enjoy watching it

Songs, princesses and talking Snowmen I imagine.

But kids can be shit barometers. I had to sit through the Playmobile Movie which was awful, but she enjoyed it

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Cold War

An unexpected hit! I only started to watch films in 2017 when I hit my late twenties. Before that it had been repeats of Jurassic Park and Casper. So if you had said to me a few years ago that I would really love a black and white Polish drama I would have laughed, but here we are. This is the story of two lovers who can't live with each other but can't live without each other either. Over 90 minutes it follows over a decade of this couple's journey through multiple countries, events and relationships. I really want to go into this in more detail, especially the ending, but don't want to spoil it - please check it our for yourselves. Watched on Amazon Prime. 

If you enjoyed this I'd highly recommend Ida, by the same director, which I think is even better. He also directed My Summer of Love, which is also very good and memorable for Emily Blunt-related reasons.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

If you enjoyed this I'd highly recommend Ida, by the same director, which I think is even better. He also directed My Summer of Love, which is also very good and memorable for Emily Blunt-related reasons.

Thank you, I will add those to the list once I’ve ticked off a few others from 2018 and 2019

@Hannibal Scorch agree completely. This film is so dark though, from a tone point of view and just the basic look of it. The plot must completely go over the heads of little ones (I appreciate plot isn’t that important for kids!) and there’s two, maybe three tolerable songs at best. My four year old is obsessed with Frozen 1, but hasn’t mentioned number 2 at all since watching it.

Ive not seen Playmobil but completely get why kids would love that with all the colours and action that presumably that film has. 

1 hour ago, waters44 said:

I only started to watch films in 2017 when I hit my late twenties. Before that it had been repeats of Jurassic Park and Casper.

*does quick maths* But you can't be Michael Owen!?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, waters44 said:

Thank you, I will add those to the list once I’ve ticked off a few others from 2018 and 2019

@Hannibal Scorch agree completely. This film is so dark though, from a tone point of view and just the basic look of it. The plot must completely go over the heads of little ones (I appreciate plot isn’t that important for kids!) and there’s two, maybe three tolerable songs at best. My four year old is obsessed with Frozen 1, but hasn’t mentioned number 2 at all since watching it.

Ive not seen Playmobil but completely get why kids would love that with all the colours and action that presumably that film has. 

It could be an age thing. My daughter was less then a year old when Frozen hit, so she watched it a lot has she got older, but was 6 when Frozen 2 came out and she much prefers it to Frozen. She's also addicted to the new Olaf shorts that have just come out on line. Also Frozen 2 has Lost in the Woods, a whole sequence based on 80's cheeey power ballads. The more I have had to listen to it, I actually think Frozen 2 has better songs over all. Can't say I love either movie though. They're not awful, but not as great as a lot of Disney/Pixar output

• Paid Members

One Cut of the Dead is 99p on Amazon at the moment. Well worth checking out - it's a Japanese horror comedy, all based around a zero-budget zombie movie that's all filmed in a single shot. The first 30 minutes are fun, but you might think 'is this it'? Stick with it. It very quickly gets funnier and funnier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B07N1WL4W5/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

• Moderators

Carlitos Way (Prime) 

It gets a full 11/10 as Luis Guzman is in it, and it is a good film. But fuck me ragged it's long. Films don't need to be two and a half hours. 

THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT hadn't seen this in a bloody long time. It's a shit tonne of fun. Classic Shane Black script (it begs the question why his Predator was so shit when everything else he did was great) Samuel L Jackson is brilliant in this. I would almost say its his one of his best performances. Anyway, a cracking little film. Weird though, Geena Davis is way more hotter when she's playing the 'frumpy mum' in this than the later 'sexy killer'