DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Hot Rod (again-Netflix)

This film doesn't get nearly enough praise. Watched it with my eldest who spent the whole film bellowing with laughter.

The scene where he dances out his anger then falls down the hill is one of the funniest scenes in cinema history. 11/10

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Hot Rod (again-Netflix)

This film doesn't get nearly enough praise. Watched it with my eldest who spent the whole film bellowing with laughter.

The scene where he dances out his anger then falls down the hill is one of the funniest scenes in cinema history. 11/10

Could be the most underrated comedy of the 2010s, this. Danny McBride is incredible too. "I've been drinking green tea all goddamn day!"

• Moderators

I haven't seen it in years.. Good to hear it holds up. For some reason in my head I always associate it with Napoleon dynamite even though I know it's much better than that.

Edit: I love Popstar. Gutted it didn't do better as I'd love another lonely island film.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Factotum said:

THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT hadn't seen this in a bloody long time. It's a shit tonne of fun. Classic Shane Black script (it begs the question why his Predator was so shit when everything else he did was great)

The simple answer is the studio shit itself and he had to redo the whole final third. There's some good stuff in The Predator, good enough to suggest it could have been great if they'd left him alone.

Then again, if all you cunts had gone to see The Nice Guys then maybe he would have made a sequel to that instead.

On 5/6/2020 at 1:32 PM, Chris B said:

One Cut of the Dead is 99p on Amazon at the moment. Well worth checking out - it's a Japanese horror comedy, all based around a zero-budget zombie movie that's all filmed in a single shot. The first 30 minutes are fun, but you might think 'is this it'? Stick with it. It very quickly gets funnier and funnier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B07N1WL4W5/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

This is also on Shudder, in case anyone already has a subscription there.

On Shudder, I watched Dead Snow 2 yesterday, purely because I was baffled by Martin Starr being in the cast. There were a fair few decent gore gags, but nothing else notable. Could have been really good if it had better characters. I don't recommend. It's like a Troma film, but much better made and a bit blander.

I've not seen Hot Rod since 2008 but the discussion of it here makes me want to rewatch it over the long weekend.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Andy Samberg is one of the most likeable comedy actors of all time. Plus he's married to Joanna Newsom, thoroughly deserved.

• Paid Members

I saw Hot Rod a few months ago and absolutely loved it. The plot has got to be one of the weirdest plots in a film ever: loser wants to do the ultimate stunt to raise money to pay for his step dads surgery so when he's better he can beat the shit out of him in a fair fight.

The stunts are absolutely brutal too. 

3 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I saw Hot Rod a few months ago and absolutely loved it. The plot has got to be one of the weirdest plots in a film ever: loser wants to do the ultimate stunt to raise money to pay for his step dads surgery so when he's better he can beat the shit out of him in a fair fight.

The stunts are absolutely brutal too. 

My daughter was tickled by this too. "I am going to get you better, then I'm going to beat you to death". She thinks very literally, and said to me "That seems a bit stupid doesn't it?"

• Awards Moderator

Amazon have put My Spy onto Prime, which we watched tonight because it’s a Big Dave film. It’s firmly in the ‘action star does family movie’ subgenre but is one of the best examples of that subgenre - definitely better than any of The Rock’s effort during that phase of his career. Dave has charisma to spare, and the girl in it was in Big Little Lies so she’s good as well.

• Paid Members

The Boat (Google Play rental)

It's a film about a bloke on a boat that won't let him leave. That's it. Pretty good ending though.

Blood Quantum (Amazon Prime Shudder channel)

Just another zombie film although this one at least has the novelty of being set in an indigenous Canadian community. But, yeah, it's still zombies.

Sea Fever (Google Play rental)

Pretty good Irish horror film that plays out a bit like The Thing at sea. Another lead for Hermione Corfield that she does great with, and some hilarious Oirish accent mangling from Connie Nielsen and Dougray Scott. Enjoyed this though.

• Paid Members

Disturbia (Netflix)

Never paid any attention to this one but I would have done if I'd known it was a cross between The Burbs and Rear Window. A pretty good one, too, with Shia Laboeuf putting in a great shift in the lead.

All About Nina (ok.ru)

I find it difficult to concentrate on any Mary Elizabeth Winstead film because, well, you know. *sigh*

Even so, it's hard not to notice that she's even more brilliant than usual in this, a quality romantic comedy-drama that also features a superb Common performance. I like that guy. Also, Jay Mohr got amazingly fat.

Escape Room (Netflix)

This is one of the 2017 Escape Rooms, not the 2019 Escape Room which wasn't quite as fucking shit as this but not far off. I might as well watch the other Escape Room tomorrow for completion purposes.