DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Scott Malbranque said:

That's mad. We watched the 1997 remake last night, and although nowhere near as good as the original, it's really good, and a remarkable achievement in itself for ithe big set set of clanging brass bollocks it displays in remaking it.
Tony Danza could actually act when he wasn't being a precursor to Matt LeBlanc, too.

I should dig it out, I've heard it's actually quite good and the cast looks great.

What's even madder about Lumet is that exactly 50 years after he made that he made Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. 83 years old and he just happened to knock out one of the best crime films of the decade. Ridiculous man.

• Paid Members

Ah, if you've never seen it, it's honestly worth a watch. It's a very, very good movie in itself. I think you'll really enjoy it, particularly because of your fondness for the original.
It in no way does it a disservice.

Courtney B.Vance is essentially the same character here as he was in The Last Supper, only a wee bit more positive. He's pretty much the same character in everything I've ever seen him in...

• Moderators

Lee J Cobb in 12 Angry Men is such a fantastic performance of being a shit yet still sympathetic at the end. 

"YOU WORK YOUR LIFE OUT." 

Also extra points for having Jack Klugman in it and Big Ben off Problem Child. 

• Paid Members

I have to thank this place for my eventual discovery of Lumet. When he passed, I realised I'd only seen Serpico, and it was Devon's recommendations that led me to search out and watch 12 Angry Men (one of the greatest films ever, full stop), Dog Day Afternoon, The Offence (I still remember how blown away I was by the intensity of that), The Anderson Tapes, and The Deadly Affair (which is still one of my favourite spy thrillers to re-watch on occasion).

I also love the fact that I still have a load left to watch.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Also extra points for having Jack Klugman in it and Big Ben off Problem Child. 

Quincy showing Henry Fonda how to properly use a switchblade is a personal highlight.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Last Supper is a great little film, isn't it? Superb cast in that too. One of Bill Paxton's best performances as well.

It's a great watch. It was one of those we saw in the flicks by chance on Sunday because it was raining.
Aye, Bill Paxton was wonderfully horrible in it, and his delivery of "Hitler had the right idea" was incredible and Ron Perlman was always "the cool cunt from Last Supper" for a long time with me.

Elizabeth Moss was in it too...mental. Never knew that until I just went on IMDb this second!!

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Elizabeth Moss was in it too...mental. Never knew that until I just went on IMDb this second!!

I didn't know that either! Bloody hell. 

• Paid Members

I only watched 12 Angry Men for the first time a couple of years ago. Everyone talks about how great Citizen Kane is, and it's good, but I don't think it's a masterpiece, but 12 Angry Men had me gripped from the start, and there isn't a bad turn. Proper riveting stuff. I really wanted to see the stage production a few years back, heard that was excellent as well.

• Paid Members

It's been a while since I watched Citizen Kane, but I don't think it's difficult to see why it's so revered.

It really was a revolutionary film at the time, made by a filmmaker in his mid-twenties, which is insanity. It still looks monumental even now. As a piece of cinéma, it's unquestionably one of the greatest of all time in my book.

That being said, there have definitely been many films that have richer stories and characters than it and, when it comes to Welles, Touch of Evil will always be his most complete film to me. But I do think Citizen Kane is still brilliant.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

Where does The Magnificent Ambersons stand? I had it on loan from the uni library for about a year but could never get in the mood for it.

I've never got round to watching it, actually. There are a lot of accounts from the time it was made that, before the studio cut it to shreds, it was going to be even better than Citizen Kane. That it's still regarded as a classic probably says a lot about it but no, haven't seen it myself. Like you say, I'd have to be in the mood for it.

I caught The Other Side of the Wind on Netflix when they released it and it was unwatchable.