DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

Another pair of musical biopics, with similar ideas, released within a year of each other, and I hadn't seen them since release.

Ray / Walk The Line (Netflix / Now TV)Ā 

Both covering inarguable legends in their niches, similar periods in history, both deal with massive sibling casualty trauma, both tear up the rulebook in their genres, both horrendous husbands, both died around the time of their respective films' release, both outstanding central performances that hold them together.Ā 

Both well worth a re-watch. Ray just edges it for me, but I suspect it's because I bloody love his music.Ā 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

@Devon MalcolmĀ Ever watched Fargo (the series)? Mary Elizabeth Winstead is incredible in season 3 of that. And, obviously, fit as fuck.

Too many episodes in that. I'd start watching it, enjoy it, then get distracted and never go back to it. But I'll watch any film she's in. Except that one film, obviously.

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Too many episodes in that. I'd start watching it, enjoy it, then get distracted and never go back to it. But I'll watch any film she's in. Except that one film, obviously.

If it helps, each series is self contained so it's not like you need to start and stick with it to the death. It's exceptionally well made and there's usually a standout performance in each series. David Thewlis' chilling weirdo is my favourite.Ā 

• Paid Members
Just now, Onyx2 said:

If it helps, each series is self contained so it's not like you need to start and stick with it to the death.

Didn't know that, actually! I'll stick it on my list then, ta.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

If it helps, each series is self contained so it's not like you need to start and stick with it to the death. It's exceptionally well made and there's usually a standout performance in each series. David Thewlis' chilling weirdo is my favourite.Ā 

See, David Thewlis' character is probably my least favourite psychopath in the series, after my namesake Malvo, Mike Milligan and Hanzee.

Still great though. Every season is fantastic but season 2 is one of my favourites pieces of TV ever.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Another pair of musical biopics, with similar ideas, released within a year of each other, and I hadn't seen them since release.

Ray / Walk The Line (Netflix / Now TV)Ā 

Both covering inarguable legends in their niches, similar periods in history, both deal with massive sibling casualty trauma, both tear up the rulebook in their genres, both horrendous husbands, both died around the time of their respective films' release, both outstanding central performances that hold them together.Ā 

Both well worth a re-watch. Ray just edges it for me, but I suspect it's because I bloody love his music.Ā 

I preferred Walk Hard to both of these if Iā€™m honestĀ 

Fighting With My Family is a hell of a lot better then it had any right to be. Ā Really rather touching although I think the untimely end of Paigeā€™s wrestling career makes it hard to fully engage with the feelgood ending.

Ā Fair play to the Knight family for being ok with the script as well, it didnā€™t pull punches in a way that a US movie never would.

Cape Fear

I understand that Scorsese was highly influenced by Hitchcock when making this film but the first act is nearly unwatchable. Awfully shot, some terrible dubbing and that really dodgy set of the inside of the family home - the scene with the fireworks outside their house going off, seemingly for hours, like it's the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony comes to mind. There's also some Jurassic World-level product placement.

After all that though, they seem to tone down the Hitchcock homaging a bit and it becomes a lot better. In the end I enjoyed it, even if the battering everyone gets in it is a bit far fetched.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Cape Fear

I understand that Scorsese was highly influenced by Hitchcock when making this film but the first act is nearly unwatchable. Awfully shot, some terrible dubbing and that really dodgy set of the inside of the family home - the scene with the fireworks outside their house going off, seemingly for hours, like it's the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony comes to mind. There's also some Jurassic World-level product placement.

After all that though, they seem to tone down the Hitchcock homaging a bit and it becomes a lot better. In the end I enjoyed it, even if the battering everyone gets in it is a bit far fetched.

Have you seen the original? Needless to say it's far superior.