DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, patiirc said:

Kate Nash: Underestimate The Girl (iplayer) 

Fascinating documentary showing the rise and fall of Kate Nash. Beautifully shot, especially the desert stuff and some inventive intertwining of songs and lyrics on screen to capture the narrative. 

Covers up to Glow in terms of dates and times, but was pleasantly surprised by it. 

Paging @Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

My Spy: Starring Davetista. Very enjoyable and charming little number, poking good fun at itself throughout and a perfect role for the big man, showing off his action and comedy credentials. You've seen the story/ending hundreds of times but still very enjoyable. Good one for the younglings and even oldlings. 

• Moderators

Coming to America (Netflix) 

Infinity/10

If I have to actually explain to someone about why this film is one of the funniest fuckers ever I'll go fucking spare 

• Moderators

Daddy Day Care (Netflix) 

3/10.

There's a mark for Eddie Murphy, Jeff Garlin and Kevin Nealon. The film itself is absolutely dire. I should also probably take points off for the Cheap Trick soundtracked montage but the Star Trek single mother is very neat and tidy so dragged it back to zero and hence get three actor points. Kevin Nealon is normally worth three on his own but I couldn't give them in good conscience. 

6 hours ago, Perry said:

I'd argue there's no bad Eddie Murphy movies between 1982-1992, and yes that includes The Golden Child

Why would you state this? Is the Golden Child considered bad? Granted I've not seen it in a very long time and my brain could have blurred it with Big Trouble in Little Chinatown but I always rememeber it fondly.

Eddie's descent in to unfunny shit family comedy is as depressing as finding out in here that Chevy Chase is a dickhead. Still to this day I get hopeful that he's on his way back up after he releases an unshit film. Bowfinger, I Spy, Dolemite, always followed by gash.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Why would you state this? Is the Golden Child considered bad? Granted I've not seen it in a very long time and my brain could have blurred it with Big Trouble in Little Chinatown but I always rememeber it fondly.

Eddie's descent in to unfunny shit family comedy is as depressing as finding out in here that Chevy Chase is a dickhead. Still to this day I get hopeful that he's on his way back up after he releases an unshit film. Bowfinger, I Spy, Dolemite, always followed by gash.

Have you seen Dolemite is My Name?

5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Have you seen Dolemite is My Name?

Yeah, I really liked it. I'm awaiting his follow up where he plays all the animals, men and women or something.

I watched The Assistant last night. Bloody horrible film. Made me hate myself and fear for my daughters. Really clever not showing the exec they were working for, if he popped his head around the corner and it was Jeff Garlin or anyone else with the slightest resemblance to any producer then it becomes a different film.

Some brilliant eye acting in this as well.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Somewhere (ok.ru)

I don't think it would be too inaccurate to brand this Lost in Translation-lite, but it's still very good - perhaps because Lost in Translation is a masterpiece. With Chris Pontius playing Guitar Hero with Elle Fanning! Enjoyed this.

Beerfest (Netflix)

I'd bugger 'er for a game of soldiers! I fucking love Broken Lizard.

The Half of It (Netflix)

Netflix's run of high quality romcoms continues. This one is ace, even if it does regress into cliche a couple of times, with a really nice ending. Not quite as good as To All the Boys I've Loved Before or Set It Up but still very good.

• Paid Members

Accepted (Netflix)

Mediocre college comedy crap that has Blake Lively in it but that's really all there is to recommend about it.

Downrange (nefarious means)

A couple of decent bits but otherwise a pretty dull version of what Doug Liman did with Big Match John starrer The Wall a couple of years ago. Just watch that instead.

Good Posture (Google Play rental)

More proof that the New York comedy will be just fine without a certain bespectacled nonce. Grace Van Patten is fantastic and should go on and become a huge star. Really good, this.

• Moderators

The Breakfast Club (Netflix) 

Don't even know why Ally Sheedy is in it and it's odd how she gets a makeover out of nowhere and taps off with Emilio Estevez who had a hard on for Molly Ringwald for the 70minutes preceding. Also everyone gets a bit other than the nerd who's big self finding reward is to write the essay for everyone else.