DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

33 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Yeah it was a real shame as I was really looking forward to it. Perhaps I wasn't in the right frame of mind or something

I'm filling some gaps from 2018 and 2019, what were some of your highlights from those years?

Never Going Back and Flower (starring the ever lovely Zoey Deutch) are two hidden gems from the last couple of years.

Both really easy funny watches.

• Paid Members

Thanks all

I've looked through all of your lists and I think the 10 I will queue up next are

Eight Grade, I Lost My Body, Can You Ever Forgive Me, Upgrade, Flower, To All The Boys I've Loved Before, Isle of Dogs, Crawl, In Fabric, If Beale Street Could Talk

Should keep me busy!

I totally understand those who dislike UNDER THE SILVER LAKE, but personally I really enjoyed it. The critics were brutal on it, but I thought a lot of what they went after about sexism etc. was unfair as misogyny and exploitation was essentially what the film was about!

Have to see it again though to see if it holds up.

• Paid Members

Time to Hunt (Netflix)

The 17,890th South Korean crime thriller in a row that's at least half an hour too long. It's a decent enough crime film until about the halfway point, then it becomes totally fucking stupid and the ending is even worse.

Night Hunter (Netflix)

Completely abysmal thriller which I'm assuming Henry Cavill and Ben Kingsley must have been blackmailed into doing. Brendan Fletcher's performance in this is stunningly terrible. On the plus side, Cavill's got a beard and Alexandra Daddario.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

You've Got Mail

A wonderful film. Just really lovely. I know it's considered the lesser of the Ephron triple giants (Your Harrys and Sallys, your Sleeplesses), but it was great.

I used to dislike Tom Hanks quite a bit, as I thought he was overrated and limited, and I fully hold my hands up that this was a bad opinion on my behalf. I've always enjoyed his films and thought he was merely "good" in them. He's in the GOAT running.

Incredibly for a film that revolves around the brand new concept of chat rooms, emailing and early IM, it doesn't feel dated at all.

Romper Stomper

Still feels like such a raw, visceral movie from when I first saw it as a teenager, and fucking hell, Russell Crowe is so fit in this. Never saw the TV series, and probably should give it a go.

Ghost World

Another favourite of 16 year old SuperBacon, and whilst not as fun as I remember it, it's still a very good film with a cracking cast. Thora Birch is wonderful in this and it's a shame she didn't make better films.

• Paid Members

Derby O’Gill and the Little People (Disney+)

ignoring the fact it’s full of Irish stereotypes, this was a charming little fantasy romp. Some of the effects hold up very well, others not as much. But was a fun 90 minutes and I’d forgotten what a looker young Sean Connery really was.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Derby O’Gill and the Little People (Disney+)

ignoring the fact it’s full of Irish stereotypes, this was a charming little fantasy romp. Some of the effects hold up very well, others not as much. But was a fun 90 minutes and I’d forgotten what a looker young Sean Connery really was.

Does he try the accent a la The Untouchables?

• Paid Members

Arkansas (nefarious means)

Clark Duke writes and directs himself a hot girlfriend in an otherwise decent crime film. Eden Brolin, James Brolin's daughter, is a real revelation here. Vince Vaughn continues to do good things in crime films. Not bad.

The Lodge (nefarious means again)

Nice to see Riley Keough (<3) in a lead role and of course she's great. Otherwise it's a standard psychological horror that has the nerve to reference The Thing and The Shining. Not worth bothering with if not exactly terrible.

1BR (home taping is killing the industry)

Weird horror film that wasn't really what I expected, it becomes more like a brainwashing thriller. Looks like a TV movie, nobody can act, but I quite enjoyed it despite how stupid it was. 

• Awards Moderator

Music biopic double bill this weekend. 

Bohemian Rhapsody (Now TV) 

Perfunctory. "This happened, then this happened. Then another thing happened. Please stand still while I describe to you exactly how I feel." A wonderful performance from Rami Malek but his performance is emblematic of the whole film: just a facsimile of what Queen was, with nothing to say. 

Love & Mercy (iPlayer) 

The story of Brian Wilson's descent to madness in the 60s and redemption on the other side in the 80s. This was beautiful. A tortured, abused genius you want to root for. I really felt for him. I forget just how good Paul Dano is every time I see him, he just disappears into the role.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Eden Brolin, James Brolin's daughter

Had to double check; IMDb says she's Josh's daughter.